Propane Prices 2020/2021/2022

I didn't find a topic started for this yet, so I apologize if I missed it.

Dieter Brothers is $2.129.
Where are the other companies at? Our tank is above ground and belongs to them. We could turn it in at any time to switch companies, but their customer service has been terrific, and they've price matched when we mentioned other companies with a lower price.

Eager to hear what the others are charging. Thank you.

4of4
Nov '20

Modern and Fairclough should be around $0.70 less than that.

Does anyone know what is going on with Region Oil in their $11 propane Phils on Fridays? They have not been dispensing for several weeks. We can’t reach anyone by phone today either there or in another location.

4of4
Jan '21

*fills. I must have used talk to talk, :-D

4of4
Jan '21

Bumping this up to obtain current propane prices (for 500 gal. underground tank). Price and company is appreciated.

dan l dan l
Jul '21

I have 1000gal tank that is owned by Eastern Propane (now owned by Superior) and was offered a prebuy price of $2.55/gal for next season. I don’t know what their current market price is. I’d like to hear what other prices are out there before I decide what to do.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Jul '21

Anyone else shocked at their propane price this year? Does anyone know of a company with reasonable prices? My whole house is propane, including my stove and 2 propane fireplaces. Going to be an expensive year.

Laurel Laurel
Oct '22

I was shocked that my propane this year was .15 cents cheaper then last year. I use typically per year just over 500 gallons …

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Oct '22

Laurel, I just paid $1.89 per gallon a couple of days ago, from Modern Propane..I own my tank, so I can get propane from whoever I want..Hopefully you own your tank, if you don’t other Propane Companies won’t deliver to you.

Havaclue17 Havaclue17
Oct '22

My tank came with my house when I bought it in 2004 how do I prove to other companies that I own my tank. I have deed the house is completely in my name is my only documentation that can provide no lean on the house from a propane company.

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Oct '22

I think that $1.89 price is not for a whole house underground tank - So must be for a small section like a BBQ, Kitchen area, or much smaller/outside portable tank.

Recent estimates show Residential propane costs around $3.50/gal:
https://ycharts.com/indicators/new_jersey_residential_propane_price

aol123@aol.com aol123@aol.com
Oct '22

Actually my tank is in the ground and I own it..My whole house is propane, heat, hot water, stove ..I have a 500 gallon tank in the ground..I paid $1.89 per gallon from Modern Propane 2 days ago …Sorry

Havaclue17 Havaclue17
Oct '22

Liberty Thinker , I purchased my Propane Tank from AmeriGas, They gave me a contact that I have to show to the propane companies..Do you have the contract? When I bought my house Anerigas made us sign a contract that they owned the tank! My whole neighborhood either ripped their tanks out of the ground or bought them from them!

Havaclue17 Havaclue17
Oct '22

Liberty Thinker, who do you get your propane from? They probably own the tank..

Havaclue17 Havaclue17
Oct '22

I was quoted $3.49 per gallon. I have a 500 gal underground tank. Unfortunately we don't own the tank, so we are sitting ducks and have no choice. Our entire house is propane - heating, cooking, 2 fireplaces, fire pit. We use about 2,800 gal per year...

We switched to propane when propane prices were always around $1.29. Family members and friends had propane and were always talking about how cheap it was, the year we switched, my mom was paying $1.10 gal for her house - so we switched. Now regret it, although I don't know what oil prices are...they might be bad too right now.

Oddly, it looks like, this year anyway, the people spending the least are the ones with electric heat...who would have thought?

Laurel Laurel
Oct '22

Wow. At $3.49 that's $814 per month or $9772 per year based on your consumption. Yikes!! As mentioned the prices will continue to climb higher as the colder weather settles in. I would bet you will easily be spending $1000 per month soon.

Talk about sweater season....

Sheesh, this is getting me concerned about seeing our natural gas bill from Elizebethtown Gas next month. I’m sure their rates has increased as well

Consigliere
Oct '22

Oil is higher priced than propane and everyone owns there own tank.
Liberty now $5.69/ gal. Up from $3.99 in 17 days. Crazy.

Indie Indie
Oct '22

Re: Propane Prices 2020/2021/2022

The natural gas bills are expected to rise by at least 25%. The BPU approved the rate hike last month.

25% is like a 10-15 year increase in one month. It’s sad to think about but more than a few people will have to keep their thermostats on 50F this winter.

Consigliere
Oct '22

Yes Greg, almost $12,000 for propane for the year at these prices. Between that and my $12,000 property taxes - just those two things - are higher than our combined income was in 1991 when we bought this house!! I'm not even exaggerating. I'm praying hard for a mild winter...

Laurel Laurel
Oct '22

Laurel.
May I suggest you turn off the fireplaces and fire pit.
We ran ours the first year we had it ( 3 years ago ) and it cost us an extra $500 over 2 months. It had a pilot light.
Don’t know if yours does too. But a pilot light burns propane 24 hrs a day. I miss the fireplace. But it is too expensive to use.

Just s thought.
Praying for a mild winter too.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Oct '22

While a standing pilot does consume propane continuously, in the overall scheme of things it's negligible. Most units are electronic ignition. There is not much one can do easily and without wholesale changes to overcome the crippling heating costs that we all are going to be burdened with at this point. Sweater up folks.

Laurel - I have no idea how large your house is or how high you set your thermostat, but 2800 gallons is crazy! We have a big house (3500ft^2 heated) and all propane appliances and we don’t use half of that amount! We are empty nesters and we keep the heating vents closed in 3 bedrooms now. But even when all of the bedrooms were being used we never used more than 1500gal. I keep detailed records and know how many gallons we’ve used every month since we’ve been in the house.

Our furnaces (we have one that heats the first floor and one that heats the second floor) are 35 years old and are very inefficient, but the break even analysis always showed it’s cheaper to burn more propane then it would be to replace them….that may be different with the current prices!

Both of our furnaces have pilot lights. For about the first 10 years we were in the house, I turned off the pilot lights for the summer. After looking at the usage, I found they were using almost nothing.

BTW, for my situation (price of propane and my furnace efficiency) it is cheaper to heat with electric. So, the plan for this winter is to keep the furnace on low (60-62) and use electric space heaters in the rooms that we are occupying. And wearing an extra layer!

Good luck!

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Oct '22

I recently shopped for Propane. If you can find it at 1.79 that is very cheap. I callled Modern but they told me they dont do whole home tanks.

Fairclough $2.49
Eastern $2.50
Paraco $2.79
Suburban was 2.29 as a new customer for 1 tankful then their EDP was 2.69

I stuck with Region. I was able to haggle with them down to 2.21 since I was a current customer.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Propane Prices 2020/2021/2022
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.