Flu shot

Got mine for free at CVS today.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '20

Getting mine for free at work on Friday.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '20

Got mine on last DR visit; it’s free there too, no copays for me.

Somebody’s even doing it outside as a drive by; I like that ingenuity.

Warren County spiked 8 cases C19 yesterday, the uptick finally crossed our border so good to continue to be careful. More schools being hit too, our list is over 1,000 but only HHS and Centenary so far here. We’re still a role model for NJ and US success. Stay the course! Wear those masks and be careful in there!

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '20

Got mine by my Primary Dr. first part of September..

joyful joyful
Oct '20

No thank you.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

Got mine a couple weeks ago at Rite Aid.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Oct '20

They've had the shots at CVS for quite a while now, they came early this year. That's a good thing when you're elderly or on suppressant meds. I got mine over a month ago.

Going to primary next week. There was actually a waiting list for my daughter’s flu shot!

For reals For reals
Oct '20

I called all the local pharmacies yesterday looking for the 65 and over dosage for seniors...finally found at Shop Rite Pharmacy. They only had four doses left, so was fortunate my husband and I were able to get two. As we were there, another senior couple arrived and got the last.

Golf Gal Golf Gal
Oct '20

we both got it from our primary -

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '20

GGal: think that's just because early demand is high, not that there's a real long-term shortage for any variety ---- regular or senior strength. Good for you to alert folks to check ahead. I did, no issue, but that was a couple of weeks ago.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '20

Golf Gal: We ran into same issue when I took my mom for 65+ flu shot. She actually got the last one available at Rite Aid last week.

Puden Puden
Oct '20

Got mine at work on Oct. 1

Monty Monty
Oct '20

Got mine from my pcp. Btw, better to get the regular shot if senior type not available rather than go unprotected.

Think senior shot is basically double dose. But don’t think you can double dose it. So yes, single shot better than nothing but beyond early demand: I haven’t seen a shortage reported.

Oct '20

SD, Believe you are correct. Just thinking ahead in case there is a shortage this year due to possible high demand. Two years ago I went late for my shot and senior was out but regular dose was still available. Doc said get the regular as it is better than nothing at all.

Absolutely. About 50% better than nothing for seniors.

Besides, hard to imagine seniors putting themselves at risk unless they live with youngsters.

Oct '20

Got our flu shots at Rite Aid, along with the Shingles shot. Get the Shingles shot! Several family members had shingles and it is really a horrible experience to go through. Its a one shot forever deal. Just get it.

USAfirst USAfirst
Oct '20

Senior flu shot actually is four times the dosage of the regular shot. That's a little much, in my non-scientific opinion.

Actually the newest shingles vaccine is given in two shots - approximately 6 months apart

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '20

4catmom is correct.

The Shingrix Vaccine, which is much more effective than the earlier types is given in two doses, approximately 6 months apart. As my doctor told me, the good thing about it is that the first dose confers some protection against shingles, so even if you aren't able to get the second shot within the 6 months, you don't have to start completely over again, as you do with some "paired" shots.

The bad thing about it is that unless you've turned 60, in most cases your insurance will NOT cover any shingles vaccine and you'd have to pay out of pocket. That may not be true in all cases, but she said at least in the majority of them, it's not covered until you turned the magic 6-0. The problem is that as long as you've contracted Chicken Pox at some point in the past, it can reemerge at Shingles at any age. It's not a disease exclusive to those over 60 and it's just as painful to get when you're younger.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '20

Shingrix is given in two doses 2-6 months apart. Although it provides better protection than older type Shingles vaccines such as Zostervax, Shingrix has been known to cause some pretty nasty side effects in certain people who have received the vaccination. The side effects after the first shot were bad enough in some people that they chose not to get the second shot for fear of a repeat. However, it has been reported that side effects from the second shot are much less severe It is highly recommended to get the second shot to ensure the best protection from Shingles.

Where is everybody going that they will be exposed to the flu? Plus, we are all wearing a mask and washing our hands more than we blink.

maja2 maja2
Oct '20

maja - I guess people have forgotten that humans have immune systems.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

It’s called preventative medicine. While no fan of the flu shot, this is the year to get it. Those who are attending large gatherings and are otherwise noncompliant will spread the fu and covid. Imagine being a health care professional having to deal with both? Imagine your relative, friend, neighbor?

For reals For reals
Oct '20

For reals - Turn off your TV. Healthy people do not need a flu shot even though big pharma pays off the media and doctors to proclaim that everyone needs one.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

Calico --- come on. Science says.... If you're going completely the other way and touting herd immunity, that's just so unrealistic as to be in the tin foil hat area.

If for no other reason, do you want to go to the covid check because you caught the flu?

I agree that, given we are taking proper c19 precautions and protocols, that catching the flu or even a cold seems pretty remote. Then again, some pretty surprising people, and their entire families, have been catching the impossible.

For reals --- besides not being a fan of ANY shot, why would the flu shot be different? It's the same literally as many, if not any, vaccines.

If there's one thing I have learned from this pandemic, besides the fact that people who discount a lot of science and facts actually exist, from Calico and others, it's that we can lose up to 100,000 people in a bad flu year where our vaccine does not match the strain de jour. Once we get through this pandemic, and it's going to get worse before it gets better, I will take particular focus on that battle ----- 100,000 ----- come on, we can do better than that I think. Probably none of us even know who we lost ---- just the old folks? Is it a nursing home mini-pandemic? Kids? I just don't even know and that's a crying shame IMO.

Oct '20

@strangerdanger. I am not saying that the flu shot is any different. I just never got it regularly but now I plan on getting it. And if a science-approved covid19 vaccine came to market, I would get that as well, as long as it is science-based and well-proven.

And I couldn't agree more about letting science speak for itself. People can lie to themselves or align themselves with conspiracies but science will always tell the truth.

I've learned to stay distant from conspiracists and I have come across many while overstaying my welcome out here.

For reals For reals
Oct '20

Sounds great to me, your words resonate well. I won't go as far as to say letting science speak for itself in that even here, some amount of skepticism is warranted since there's spin, even politics in science as people fight for budgets and funding, power, etc. Sometimes some outright lies like this herd immunity is a viable option. Think that's what the Buffalo said: "hey, once they shoot enough of us, they'll get bored with it." But, using multiple sources, listening to all ideas, ultimately, time will really tell, and, even then, hey ---- new information --- things do change.

My best science not quite God, being a Lake Erie sort of guy was one year, after some years of droughts, the Gods of Army Civil Engineering swore a ten-year recovery for a normal pond level, as some call the water level. The next year the pond level was normal. Some times, even with science, ten years can go by in a flash.

Point is, based on their numbers, they were 100% correct, since I am sure they had the %%%%'s to say there's a chance for normal levels in 12 months. Sometimes, science can have a bit of a spin as well.

That said: pretty much clear our current best defense is just what they say: masks et al. Thanksgiving through Christmas will be interesting given current spikes are reported as family gathering based, and relaxing the protocols therein. Fall will bring higher counts, pretty sure that's already under way. And seasonal flu will occur as well, thus recommendation to get the flu shot. They also say c19 vaccine not likely till beginning of next year, full deployment by mid year, and I pretty much doubt anyone will beat that score.

Sorry, got to sign in to the ap to tell them I am still OK today :>)

Oct '20

I'm thinking about vaccines both past and present "must do" or "strongly advised to do" vaccines that have saved lives and will continue to do so:

Polio, Flu, Hepatitis A & B, Rubella, Measles, Pertussis, Pneumococcal, Mumps, Chicken Pox, Diphtheria, Shingles.

I am part of the elderly population and take no medications for anything (thankfully.)

I made sure to get the Flu vaccine every year for the past 20+ years because as a much younger woman I had the "real" Flu. It was extremely nasty.

I had the Sr. high dose Flu vaccine which is in high demand this year.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Oct '20

@strabgerdanger. Very valid points. Thank you for expanding. And yes, let’s be vigilant as we enter what looks like may be a challenging fall-to-winter transition with covid and the flu. At least the masks will keep us warm! I do wonder of sanitizer freezes. lol

For reals For reals
Oct '20

I do wonder of sanitizer freezes. lol

The freezing point would be fairly low due to the percentage of alcohol in it. It may separate, but shouldn't freeze until it gets pretty darn cold. If it does, it likely didn't have enough alcohol % in it to be effective to begin with, lol.

Your questions answered:

https://thenewswheel.com/what-happens-if-you-leave-hand-sanitizer-in-your-car/

Got my Senior dosage of Quadrivalent Flu shot today.

Back to Shingles shots for a moment. I had absolutely NO side effects after my first Shingrix vaccine, should be up for my next one in 4 months.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '20

Thanks Phil. My main bottle is in an out building so I can use it after touching mail, newly received packages, trash cans after pickup, etc. sometimes take in car although I general have with, or leave outside car so I can scrub up before getting back in car. But sometimes not, thanks.

Fyi: think I’m addicted to coconut scented lysol wipes. Smell so tasty....

Guess it will be hard to get this stuff again for a bit, hope everyone is stocked up. .

Oct '20

SD - give us your long range thoughts/observations on C-19 and the flu October through March.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '20

IMO (and Fauci) Expect current spike to continue into December at minimum. The death count has not started to rise to match this latest spike; it lags and it will spike too. There is no national response. Since it appears to be a State problem by some weird default, there are 50 plans to attack or ignore. Does not mean it doesn't drop in November, just that it takes awhile to notice. Too many super spreaders out there right now from politic-in to votin to just relaxing our guard. The political battle over the scientific truth of mask wearing is also accelerating the spike and slowing the curve flattening. Also, the herd mentality believers are thinking Sweden is right and might even become more aggressive in their approach. Sweden is not the answer, it sucks It's a scientifically proved disaster (like us): https://time.com/5899432/sweden-coronovirus-disaster/

This does not mean another lockdown is called for: we are getting better, many at risk are in hiding, and we CAN contact trace to surgically shut hot spots off if we get off our asses and get in gear. That is what Murphy will try next.

IMO, it's basically the same as now, as it has been, until March, we hope for an early Spring, a curve flattening, some mask rules, a vaccine, and a decent distribution systems with prioritization for front line essentials, older folks, medically compromised, and then the rest ---- that that order.

The great untold story in all this is the drop in median age of death. I blame the journalists, the info can be obtained even if the Federal Government is not disclosing. If all the old people are either dead or in hiding, why are we hitting 1,000 dead a day and who are they once we take the first spike statistics out of it. CDC median ages are dropping rapidly ---- that's the story. The death toll may be lower, it's also younger.

Thanks for asking, now I am probably quarantined from HL, but ----- hey, War for our Lives seems more important than loud music in Great Meadows.... :>) Stay safe everyone, this is no time to leave your guard down. Plan that Thanksgiving.

Oct '20

I sure hope you're not quarantined from HL.....you speak the truth as I read it from many sources..............This staying safe thing is growing very old - but not as old as it will feel in the winter when we are more and more trapped indoors.............This ain't going away any time soon -

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.