K9 Edo Joins HTPD

K9 Edo Joins HTPD

Congratulations to HTPD and Patrolman Laver on the new K9 officer, Edo!

Beautiful dog! Congratulations, and could you tell us how to pronounce the name? EEdo or Ehdo? Happy that Officer Laver was able to get a new partner. I know he'll always miss Jada, but glad we have another K9 in town!

summerrain1 summerrain1
Oct '20

Woot! Woof! He looks ready to work! Congrats.

For reals For reals
Oct '20

It can be a ruff job. Not all bark, lots of bite. Going to the dogs because man’s best friend ain’t man. Now that’s some irony.

Hope they got a doggie cam so we can watch.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '20

It is pronounced EE- dough.

This appears to be the meaning of the name Edo.

Edo means “rich guard”, “guardian of his property” (from Old English “ead” = fortune/wealth/property + “weard” = guard).

I am incorrect in my statement of the pronunciation I believe. I went by how a couple of his new colleagues pronounced it. According to what I just learned it is pronounced Eh- dough. Naturally it is whatever he has been trained to respond to.

This is a site where one can hear the pronunciation.

https://charlies-names.com/en/edo/#:~:text=Meaning%20of%20Edo,%E2%80%9Cweard%E2%80%9D%20%3D%20guard).

It's also the name of a Period in Japanese History between 1603 and 1868 ruled by the Tokugawa Shogunate, as well as the old name for Tokyo. They would also pronounce it as "Eh- dough".

It's also an African language, spoken by the Edo People of Benin & Nigeria, same pronunciation, I believe.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '20

Welcome to the force Edo! Stay safe!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

Wonderful news ..congratulations to Officer Laver and HPD

USAfirst USAfirst
Oct '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.