Formica kitchen counters

Are they a good value. Or should I opt for something better? Small kitchen in a 2BR 40 year old condo.

I have a 30 year old townhome and Formica countertops. They are sturdy but look really dated. It all depends on your budget and granite is out of mine!

For reals For reals
Sep '20

EVV

You don't have to settle for the "standard" formica anymore. Not only does the Formica Brand come in many styles, colors and patterns, but other companies, such as Wilsonart make laminates that approximate a quarried quartz or granite finish at a fraction of the price of real granite. Here's a couple of links, using Home Depot as an example in the first instance:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Kitchen-Countertops-Laminate-Countertops/Sample/N-5yc1vZc3bgZ1z1byke?mtc=SEM-B-F_D29B-G-D29B-29_26_COUNTER_TOPS-Multi-NA-NA-ETA-NA-NA-THD&cm_mmc=SEM-B-F_D29B-G-D29B-29_26_COUNTER_TOPS-Multi-NA-NA-ETA-NA-NA-THD-71700000032874954-58700003856884814-43700030981614230&gclid=CjwKCAjwwab7BRBAEiwAapqpTNc0Q_Tz2KHweHV4Gx7wpZVtJW_zGYxwYX5YguC4B-NLzOeuRqkajhoCLYwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.cabinetparts.com/c/countertop-laminate-products

https://www.wilsonart.com/milano-quartz-4726

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

We went with the $35/sq ft. option of granite at Home Depot and that included installation and we are very happy. There were only 4 choices of look but it has held up well and looks good with our cabinets. We do have to reseal it every 6 months but that is simple and worth it for the money we saved have we gotten a more expensive option that is less porous.

Mel81 Mel81
Sep '20

Does anyone have any experience with Hi-Macs kitchen countertops. Just got a quote from Lowes for their solid countertops with acrylic sinks. Great price and I like the look but Have been doing a little research and seeing lots of pros and cons. Does anyone have these - would like to hear from people who have in their kitchens.

marjon marjon
Mar '21

Granite shops save “remnants” some are pretty big. I bought a counter that was quoted at $2200. Found a remnant and it cost $700. Just ask the shop if they have them out back!

Independent observer Independent observer
Mar '21

Formica is maintenance free, very resilient and is a fraction of the cost of granite. I think it only looks dated if your cabinets are dated.

2 cents
Mar '21

I heard granite can spill out radiation.

Better put a Geiger counter out above it before purchase. :-)

MansfieldVillager MansfieldVillager
Mar '21

I just want new Formica for a small town home.

Where is the best places to look.

Home Depot?

Yes, I would think either one of the two large home improvement stores here in town would be your best bet.

Better off with some other upgraded material .
Material=little more
Labor=same
Install hassle=same
Resale value=+++

Stymie Stymie
Mar '21

Formica in upstairs bathrooms only. It does not hold up well where there are knives...

iJay, that's why God invented cutting boards (-;

ianimal ianimal
Mar '21

i like formica ,its sturdy clean and strong.the nice thing about it is that you can change it from time to time.with granite you are really stuck with it for a long time.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Formica kitchen counters
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.