RIP Tom Seaver

Tom Terrific gone at 75.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29797239/tom-seaver-hall-fame-pitcher-mets-legend-dies-75

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '20

Oh wow. One of the greats. RIP.

Certainly one of the greats and from all accounts, a great guy. Brought life to the orange and blue.

Tough health calls starting with a double dose of Lyme disease starting in the 90's leading to dementia then adding C-19. I just pray his family could say goodbye in person as I pray for all the C-19 hospitalizations.

Amazingly, you can't buy his wine, it's members only. You can get on the waiting list though.... Good for him, another perfect game! https://seavervineyards.com/ You can buy bottles for over $200 on the secondary market......

God speed to you Mr. Seaver, you are one of the all time greats.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '20

I'm really sorry to hear this. He was a legend. RIP

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '20

If you aren't old enough to remember, and I am going to guess that most HL Forum members and posters are probably old enough to remember, in the 70's there were superstars in baseball that were known so well, that even a non sports or non baseball fan would know their names.

Tom Seaver- known as the gold standard for pitching

Reggie Jackson- for the homerun power and magnetism(plus being in the national spotlight in the World Series multiple times and winning with the A's and Yankees)

Anyone conscious then would know those were famous baseball players, and have at least a clue that one was a great pitcher and one was a great HR hitter.

Unfort, for NY fans of the time, their paths in NYC only crossed for half a season in their prime years, 1977. Reggie was in his first year as a Yankee and Seaver was toiling for the yet pathetic Mets of the time(they were a 86 win team in 1976, hardly pathetic and were starting to struggle in 1977 before the fateful day of 6-15-77 when the Mets decided to collect some inventory, as in 4 non descript playerswere sent from the Cincinnati Reds to the Mets for "The Franchise"- as Seaver was aptly called.

Loved him as a broadcaster also, ironically for the Yankees.

And, lest we forget, he won his 300th game as a member of the Chicago White Sox, at of all places, Yankee Stadium, on I believe 8/4/85. (I use my memory for alot of this vs the easy Google everything)

And, the funny part of that 300th victory, prior to the game, it was Phil Rizzuto Day at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees presented Phil with an actual cow, yes a cow. (his trademark phrase was of course "Holy Cow")

And, the cow then proceeds to knock Rizzuto right onto the seat of his pants when Phil tried to go pet it.

Good time!

God bless Tom Seaver, and he was a real American!

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Sep '20

I have one of his baseball cards from the 70's!

Rest in peace Mr. Seaver ....

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Sep '20

Seaver won three Cy Youngs and should have won four ... look up his 1971 season... how could he not win THAT year?

Certainly one of the all-time great pitchers.

His career also intersected with Reggie Jackson in the 1973 World Series.

Also, above, somebody mentioned Tom for pitching and Reggie for hitting ... there also was Brooks ... has anybody else ever won 16 gold gloves? Brooks was the guy who hit the line drive that Ron Swoboda made his signature diving catch on .. Swoboda gave Brooks a taste of his own medicine on THAT one.

Without Seaver, the Mets would not have been in that WS. RIP Tom Seaver, 300 plus wins and 3,000 plus strikeouts ... rare air.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '20

Tom S. had 2 cases of Lyme Disease, then recently caught the Corona Virus ?? I hadn't read that.

I read he had dementia.

he was an excellent pitcher for the Mets. saw him many times at Shea Stadium.

Hackresident Hackresident
Sep '20

Tom Seaver suffered from Lewy body dementia . It was revealed postmortem that undiagnosed Lewy body dementia was also what Robin Williams had which led to his suicide . Mental illness is nothing to be taken lightly . People who say this person or that one was a coward for committing suicide are ignorant fools who don't know the whole story or what mental illness is and can do to a person !

https://www.goalcast.com/2020/09/03/robin-williams-susan-schneider-lewy-body-dementia-struggles/

97XBAM 97XBAM
Sep '20

I just feel for any covid patient and their family who can’t be together at the end. In the time of covid, Dementia might be a blessing in that instance, but it certainly makes it even more excruciating for the family.

The casualties of this war go far beyond death.

God bless you Mr. Seaver and your beloved family.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.