Disposing of flares

Does anyone know how to safely dispost of old flares. Found some that belonged to my husband - they must be over 20 years old.

Margaret McFadden
Aug '20

Perhaps stop in at the local firehouse-they may take them or have an idea what to do with them.

Ha...I was at my families 4th BBQ a few years ago..it was dark we were setting off things that go BOOM.

A neighbor of theirs hands me something while saying 'I got this at an estate sale'... yep, a flare gun.

So - a flash of light projected into the air on the 4th makes sense, right?

Or are we talking about road flares? If so, just set em off in your yard.

The county hazardous waste day would be a possibility if the event weren't cancelled.

Contact them and they will tell you where to take it:

http://pcfawc.com/

Just light them in the street and let them burn out.

Sacks cousin
Aug '20

Soak them in a bucket of water?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '20

Maybe give them to the cops..or truck drivers could probably use them.

Those of you that are suggesting. lighting them in the back yard or the street are way off base. Do you realize that once lit they are almost impossible to extinguish and some can burn as long as 30 min. What happens in an emergency? putting them in water can extinguish some, but there are some that can reignite when taken out of water. The fire dept. or the police dept is the only way to go. There are too many types of flares to safely handle them yourself if you don't know what you're doing.

MAC IS RIGHT

CAGED ANIMAL CAGED ANIMAL
Sep '20

I don’t see the concern with lightening in the street. Let’s say your car breaks down and you need a flare. Do you call the police and fire dept to supervise? I doubt it. Thats the problem today. No one can do anything for themselves.

Sacks cousin
Sep '20

The OP stated the flares were at least 20 years old. I gather they are concerned with safety as the flares may have degraded over time making them unstable perhaps. Hence the "safely dispose of" comment.

Perhaps they are handled lIke old fireworks- soak them in water for awhile and then double bag them. Toss in trash. I asked our local fire department- they said to refer to Hazardous waste. They don’t take them either.
So that is what you do with them.

Blackcat Blackcat
Sep '20

Should have got rid of em at the end of the’70s....it’s all ill fitting baseball caps and exposed underwear these days ya know!

Mervin
Sep '20

Mervin

Same with the doggone bells.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

Call the fire department; they will advise what to legally and safely do. They picked up ours to use for training. They like to practice burning things ;-)

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '20

Sacks cousin
That's ok if you know they are road flares and there are not any flammables nearby.
If you set one off in front of my house, there's going to be a problem.

In your front lawn- problem.

In the street in front of your house- not your problem.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.