Local taxes

it seems like we got an estimated tax bill for August. Will we receive another actual tax bill reflecting the real amount?

Hackettstown Fan Hackettstown Fan
August 11th

What you just got should have been a final bill for Q3 and Q4 of 2020. The estimate is for Q1 and Q2 of 2021. The final for Q1/Q2 of 2021 usually comes out in March right after the assessments are finalized in Feb.

From the town’s website.

Due to anticipated delays in the determination of the final 2020 tax rate the Town Council has authorized the Tax Collector to issue estimated tax bills for the 2020 third quarter. Estimated bills have now been mailed and payment is due 8/1. Any payment not received by 8/10 will have interest charged from 8/1. Please include the payment stub if paying by mail or drop box. Final bills for the remainder of 2020 and the 2021 1st & 2nd quarters will be issued later this summer.

My tax collector in Independence told me that one quarter estimated tax bill was issued because municipalities & counties didn't have the State budget information in time to do the actual yearly bills. She said the finalized bills would be sent in September. Also, when I went on-line recently, I saw that my quarterly amounts for the finalized bill were now entered, so she must have the bills, getting them ready to be mailed. I know there is a lot of work involved in doing that, she works alone, & is part-time, so I'm not expecting my finalized bill any time soon.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
August 11th

Thank you for the info

Hackettstown Fan Hackettstown Fan
August 13th

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Local taxes
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.