2020 MLB Season

Saw quite a bit of baseball over the weekend and saw my very first socially-distant manager/umpire argument yesterday in the Bucs/Cards game. Strange days, indeed...

Interestingly, no team even made it to 3-0 (or 0-3) this weekend. I wonder when was the last time THAT happened. There seems to be at least one team that runs off 8 or 9 wins or losses to start a season most years. (Not that I have statistical data to back that up... just a feeling).

Those Phils are killin’ me.

The last time no teams had an unbeaten streak to start the season was 1954 when there were only 16 teams.

4 Marlins test positive for Covid-19 while in Philly. Miami's home opener against the Orioles is postponed. Yankees due to arrive in Philly today.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29546814/sources-marlins-cancel-game-virus-spreads

Phillies and Yankees are cancelled (postponed) for today. Ugh. That didn’t take long.

Happy birthday to our very own big leaguer Cole Kimball today. The Mets bullpen is really killing that team.... maybe Cole could make a comeback?

As for my Orioles, gee, it really warms my heart to see Zach Britton getting saves for the Yankees (like, gag me with a spoon, real-lee) and did they need to trade home grown Manny Machado this early in his career?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
2 weeks ago

Has anyone seen Cespedes ????

Hadenough Hadenough
1 week ago

Cespedes has opted out of playing anymore as announced yesterday before the Braves game.

He probably should have told someone of importance if he announced it yesterday.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1994995/cespedes-opts-out-of-season-after-skipping-game-leaving-hotel

"Van Wagenen said the club had no idea Cespedes was planning to opt out, Healey reports. The GM added that the two-time All-Star's agent called the Mets toward the end of Sunday's game against the Atlanta Braves and told them of Cespedes' decision."

Rhys Hoskins in the powder blues brings back memories of Michael Jack from the late 70s/early 80s...

ianimal ianimal
1 week ago

Yes, he's got that 70s haircut going on. If he has the same kind of career ...
whoa, Nellie! Now, if only Philly can find a Steve Carlton, Tug McGraw, Garry Maddox and "The Bull." One of the best looking uniforms ever ... the IronPigs wore them a few times for special occasions.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
1 week ago

Think Twins have light blue this year too. Padres have their old brown n yella back.

Old Yank Horace Clark passed. I was just a puppy then but still have a couple of his cards.

Roywhite Roywhite
1 week ago

Poor Horace had to step into Bobby Richardson’s shoes. I was at a Twi-Night doubleheader against the Tigers and the second game went 20 innings and they were going to call a curfew after the 20th inning. Horace drove in the winning run in the bottom of the 20th around 1:30am. Needless to say my father who was a die hard Tiger fan was not happy.

I’ve heard through the years and recently read how that NY era is repeatedly referred to as the Horace Clark Yanks.

Roywhite Roywhite
7 days ago

Yes, it is true, not many bright spots for the Yanks during his time there. The up and coming Bobby Mercer, Roy White along with Mel Stottlemyre were additional bright spots during those horrendous years.

Horace gets a bad rap --- he was a good player. RIP

Those bad years for the Yankees were great years for the Orioles ... getting Frank Robinson made a good team a champion and 1965 Rookie of the Year Curt Blefary became a Yankee killer. He'd grown up in Jersey as a Yankees fan and signed with the Bronx Bombers --- but NY did not keep him on the 40-man roster --- pretty soon the Yankees became the Bronx Bummers.

By the way, Mel Stottlemyre is the last pitcher to have a 5-for-5 game as a hitter.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
6 days ago

Since they've tinkered with the rules hoping for shorter games, MLB needs a mercy rule!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
4 days ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: 2020 MLB Season
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.