Comet Neowise - Need Good View of Sunset

I'd like to go view this comet tonight, at sunset, but would like to know where, nearby, can you see the western horizon. Here is a link with info, for any that are interested:
https://earthsky.org/space/how-to-see-comet-c2020-f3-neowise

Field of Dreams?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '20

Thanks 3wbdwnj. I thought the mountain blocked the horizon from there, but maybe I'm wrong.

It might. Also try the “park” behind great meadows school. I don’t think that is part of field of dreams but I could be wrong.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '20

Whenever my wife, daughter and I want to view the international space station, we usually like to drive over to Donaldson’s. It’s pretty dark over there and you are up pretty high.

TheSiundGuy TheSiundGuy
Jul '20

If you want a great place for the sunset, go over to Hope Great Meadows Rd. There's a turn coming up (or down depending which way you're traveling) the mountain which is perfect. People stop there all the time to watch the sunset.

NY 56 NY 56
Jul '20

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like it will be too cloudy tonight, but hopefully the comet will stay visible for a while.

Any luck Rich? It seems you need to look to the NE below the Big Dipper to see it.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '20

We went to the “lookout” at top of Hope Great Meadows Road on Tuesday. It was a beautiful sunset and we saw the comet after dark. It was awesome - first comet I’ve ever seen. It was quite faint, but visible with the naked eye. Looked really neat through binoculars.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Jul '20

Tried last night at Hope Rd...clouds on the northwest horizon blocked the comet, but the rest of the sky was clear.

Bemused Bemused
Jul '20

Re: Comet Neowise - Need Good View of Sunset

3wbdwnj, Thanks. My son and I went out to the overlook on Hope Rd, on Tuesday, and was able to see it. Here is a pic from my cell phone, but it doesn't do it justice at all. I was extremely impressive, especially through binoculars.

I'm thinking if you stop at the Rt. 80 overlook on the way going West towards exit 19, that gives a great view of the horizon. Of course unless uou're already on Rt. 80 it would be circuitous to get there.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '20

Rich, That’s an amazing cell phone shot! If the weather improves over the next few days we may head there.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '20

Wow! I need to go see this- Rich your talking about jenny jump overlook right?

Sunny718 Sunny718
Jul '20

Sunny718, I guess that's what is called. It's the overlook before you get to Land of Make-Believe.

Can someone please provide directions for the overlook on hope road from main street in Hackettstown?. We saw the comet Tuesday night with binoculars in front of the Hastings Square development on Schooleys Mtn road. Not ideal conditions due to all of the development lights but still a decent view. Looking for a much better vantage point
Thanks in advance

Gary Zockoll Gary Zockoll
Jul '20

Re: Comet Neowise - Need Good View of Sunset

hope to see it tonight

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.