Best Coffee

The coffee machine thread and C-19 got me thinking: what do you think is the best coffee?

You will hate me, but for store-bought --- I go Folgers. I hate most other store-bought but see good reviews for some like Café Bustelo and Lavassa but would love to hear from others in that most upscale store brands like Starbucks, Gevalia, etc. don't do it for me.

Lately, I have been wanting chicory so I have been going Café Du Monde, but with their current c19 rates, looking for another brand, short-term. Suggestions?

Otherwise, pretty much a Greene's Beans fellow to stay local, plus I love a man who wears shorts all year long :>) It's the people there that make the product!!!

Here's a couple reviews to get you started: https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/10-best-ground-coffees-at-the-grocery-store

https://www.bestproducts.com/eats/drinks/a15769634/reviews-delicious-coffee-brands-beans/

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '20

Folgers Classic is our favorite

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Jul '20

I don't care for flavored coffee, so I, too, was a Folgers fan for the longest time. However...through work, I recently tried Krispy Kreme classic coffee, and that's my new go-to, hands down. It's just a great cup of coffee - smooth, nutty and it holds it's own with half and half and a teaspoon of sugar.
I get the K-cups, not sure if it's available in non-K-cup form. Enjoy!

Friend Friend
Jul '20

We order our coffee beans from freshroastedcoffee.com. The quality is far beyond lavazza or Starbucks brands or anything in the supermarket. We particularly enjoy coffeind and white knight blends. They are located in PA so shipping is fast and free over $35. We will never go back to buying bulk coffee at shoprite.

Masks Fortheugly Masks Fortheugly
Jul '20

Folgers to me is bland, I buy 8 O'clock, particularly the hazelnut, if it's store bought.

From Greenes Beans it's either Tanzania Peaberry for an African coffee that still has body, or Sumatra dark roast for something with zing. They have some other good ones I buy sporadically.

The only other one I get mail order is Cafe Copan. Mom brought this back from Honduras, they have a fair trade office in Texas they ship from. It's some kind of special sun drying process that seems to retain the flavor but lose the bitter. They expanded to import coffee from other places too, but I only buy the original Cafe Copan and San Marcos brands.

https://www.copancoffeeroasters.com/

Greens Beans on High Street all time favorite Antigua, Guatemala,

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Jul '20

I also use the pour-over method to brew coffee no machine. killer coffee & guests to my home always comment, how much they enjoy the brew.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Jul '20

Our favorites

Joe Coffee - Tall Dark & Handsome
https://paramountcoffee.com/joe-knows-coffee

La Colombe - Corsica
https://www.lacolombe.com/

Peace Coffee
https://www.peacecoffee.com/

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '20

Mayorga, medium roast. I buy the beans and grind them.
You can find it on Amazon.

Not sure about best as that’s subjective. This is cheap today on Amazon and tastes just fine to me.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14174375-12oz-seattle-s-best-6th-avenue-bistro-fair-trade-organic-dark-roast-ground-coffee-3-50-more?src=frontpage

Sacks cousin
Jul '20

Bustello is good - and we also really like Starbucks Cafe Verona...

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '20

I never touch the stuff, however my husband is a coffee lover. He swears that Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica is the best he has ever had. Blue Mountain refers to the region where it is from, it's not the brand name. Although, I believe there is also a brand called Blue Mountain. It's extremely expensive and most of the product you can get online is either a blend or not really from the Blue Mountain region. Whenever we visit Jamaica we buy some in the airport upon departure.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '20

I used to be an Eight O'Clock Dark Italian Espresso, but have now changed to Seattle's Best, Post Alley. I like dark roast coffee and have found these to be the best for me. In a pinch, I have had the Target brand, Archer Farms, Sumatra and find that to be decent.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '20

Just ordered several bags from freshroastedcoffee.com, thanks to this thread.... we'll see! Good prices, if it's good coffee...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '20

Kick Ass Coffee - no competition.
https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en

Greg A
Jul '20

I agree, good advice, gonna order some freshroastedcoffee.com on my next go round. And some others next, thanks everyone. Their reviews are like 4 out of 5 with a big question on why they don't reveal blend sources.

Tried 8'o'clock, used to be well reviewed, but was not impressed. Seattle's Best does seem pretty good to me.

Re: blends and flavors: A great wine guy once told me: "a rose' can be defined as two good wines getting together hoping to be great. Ain't gonna happen." Same with wine blends, flavored coffee, and coffee blends. Can be good coffee, but most likely will never be great. Nothing against that, good is good enough for me, but it is what it is. And that's probably why FRC.com does not reveal blend sources and probably this is where they make their margin. I do believe blends can be pretty darned good, but think the wine guy's adage still holds. Most of the wines I drink are blends, but will be doing a single origin test soon to be whether I think the new blends have cracked the code.

But, good coffee at great prices with free shipping is good enough for me!!

Tanzania Peaberry at GB's, one of my favorites too, but hard to go wrong at GB's. Plus you can tell them what you like in a general way and get some specific suggestions, priceless.

I have also used Joffrey’s Coffee & Tea Co to get my favorite coffee enjoyed at Disney restaurants. Little pricey and mostly for the memories, but pretty good stuff.

Can anyone suggest a good coffee with chicory blend? Kinda on that kick right now.

NEXT QUESTION: how many scoops per cup? Or does it depend on the type of coffee? I am guessing that here I go light, but love to hear from others before I pontificate on this one.

Jul '20

"Officially", it's supposed to be 1 scoop per cup. But I find that varies greatly with the coffee MAKER- for example, I'd have to use less in a regular drip, I only use a little less in my BUNN (technically drip, but can't be compared to others- it makes a full pot in 3 minutes, much less contact with the grounds = smoother coffee), and I think even less in my french press.

The type of coffee doesn't matter as much as the maker, IME.

Jul '20

We drink Kicking Horse coffee, either Three Sisters, Smart Ass or Kick Ass.

We always use a french press and grind the beans fresh.

Weedwacker - what kind of carafe do you use for pour over? One you'd recommend?

I go with Peets or Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, ordered direct. Fresh and very flavorful. I like strong, dark coffee. I go with French or Italian Roast. Arabian Mocha Java is also excellent from Peets. Have some CBTL Jamaica Blue Mountain that is excellent for a mild brew.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '20

My monthly subscription from Peet's includes French and Italian Roast, Arabian Mocha Java, Aged Sumatra and Major Dickason's Blend... great taste buds think alike, MNJ (-;

I also tacked on a pound of limited edition Tanzania Songwe Gardens to this month's order; rich and complex with very unique flavor notes, but I don't know that I'd order it on a regular basis (which might be why it's a limited edition, lol)

ianimal ianimal
Jul '20

MB I use this cheap melitta cone to make pour over coffee, right on top of my mug.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Melitta-Pour-Over-Filter-Cone-Coffeemaker-Black/21777801

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Jul '20

Nice ianimal. I usually go back and forth ordering from Peets and CBTL. Whoever gives me a promotion or discount. I don't use a subscription. Sumatra is pretty darn good. I will usually tack on a special brew, whatever catches my eye.

Another place I've tried lately is Devocion, out of Brooklyn, I think. Coffee is excellent. It's different, very smooth with subtle flavors. Calico, if hubby likes JBM, he'll probably like Devocion. Not quite as expensive.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '20

Great thread, ty
I like New England Coffee

also Equal Exchange but expensive :_-)

Joni Sattely Joni Sattely
Jul '20

JR, don't know how many cups you down each morning, but if two or three, here's a fun one to try. Coffee stimulation, i.e., caffeine, I find interesting in that you can really bulk up, get a great rush and then maintain that level without much rush at all. Conversely, if you lower the caffeine level, the withdrawal effect is there, but pretty minimal, very short duration, and then you can maintain that level at about the exact same stimulation effect as when you bulked up. How much caffeine does not seem to matter, it's the constant that gives you a constant buzz --- but same buzz if constant at 1 scoop, 2 scoops or 1/2 scoop --- if you remain constant.

Please, if you are really heavily addicted, doing cup after cup each day, what I am saying does not apply.

So...let's say you do two or three cups each morning, 1 scoop per cup; try cutting back to 1 scoop per two cups plus one scoop on top, see how much the taste changes, perhaps not as much as you think, and in a couple of days, you will get basically the same caffeine high as one scoop per cup. Here's the fun part --- then try a pot at 1 scoop per cup and, what can I say, prepare to fly, have a zooming morning! You will be zooming but at the caffeine level you used to be when you didn't zoom like that. Of course, the next day if you continue 1 scoop per, it don't matter again. Or if you go back to 1/2 scoop plus one, you will also basically retain your same steady state, but with the option to zoom without a downside.

I am not a coffee taste maven and I use 1 scoop per cup plus one. So, 7 scoops for 12 cups. Yes, 1 per cup tastes richer, but for me it's a treat to be used when I really need to zoom. And boy, do I, for the price of normal. To me, the taste is not affected enough for me to put the extra drug for no extra zoom --- into my body.

Thanks JR, and that's what I heard, and 1 scoop certainly does make for a richer cup, and the need for me to further limit intake ----- but really has little stimulation effect beyond the lesser amounts ---- once you hit steady state. A weird drug that way, IMO. For extra fun, try 1 scoop per, plus a heavy does of very-good hot chocolate --- don't plan to operate heavy machinery though......

Jul '20

Nespresso

For those who like flavored coffee, the New England Blueberry, as well as Maple Bourbon, are both very tasty.

Jul '20

Speaking of Blueberry coffee, just bought a cup of Bilberry cobbler from Wawa, was so good

Sally jo Sally jo
Jul '20

Blueberry Cobbler

Sally jo Sally jo
Jul '20

Anyone else have a different ratio than 1 scoop per cup?

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jul '20

I use about 4 scoops ( I eyeball it) in my French Press for my 20 oz tumbler every morning. Dark Roast usually. I like it strong with just a little milk.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '20

for our french press - two rounded scoops to 4 cups water - we like strong coffee so well rounded

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '20

Been hooked on Cafe Bustello for a few years now. Grew up on maxwell house but once I tried Cuban “style” coffee there was no turning back.

Consigliere
Jul '20

If anyone is down at the shore/south jersey, Rook coffee is the best coffee place by far and for the previous person who stated they love chicory, their New Orleans blend is delicious, especially the iced version!

sportsfan sportsfan
Jul '20

Rook is good stuff. Love the chicory cold brew. I have some colleagues that work down that way who pick it up for me.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.