Xfinity wifi

Anyone else having issues with Xfinity wifi this week? All week the speed randomly drops dramatically, like from 300-500mbps to 55-86mbps. Then slowly climbs to around 144 at the best. Videos are constantly buffering and the data randomly kicks in to make up for it. Very frustrating, I'm thinking it's time to give comcast a call but just wanted to see if it's just us or is there a problem in the area?

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Jul '20

Thecatsmeow

Did you log in to their website or on their app and check to see if they had reported any problems in the area? I'd do that as a first step

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '20

I think rebooting your router might be a good idea

Bug3
Jul '20

Bug3

True that. I shouldn't have just assumed that they'd have tried that already since they were aware of what their speeds were. After rebooting and checking their website to see if there's a problem in their area, they can also have the website do a reset of their modem as well, which I think checks for errors and may fix corrupted operating files.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '20

Phil D,
Thanks I will check the website before calling!

Bug3,
We've rebooted the router a few times before and it usually helps. Having to do it everyday seems a bit much though. We've never had it do this for a week straight. At first I thought maybe the storms were affecting it but the other day was beautiful with clear skies and it still crashed for most of the day.

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Jul '20

Alternate question,
What other companies do people use here for wifi? I know we get a deal by bundling with comcast cable and phone, but if it is just going to crash all the time maybe we'll consider switching to someone else.

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Jul '20

I have been having problems all week as well.. My internet is usually rock solid
but I have been dropping a connection about once every two hours all week, just for 30 seconds or so then it is fine. I have rebooted everything but still seeing issues.

Wind and rain create havoc on outside wires...sounds like a loose connection somewhere

Bug3
Jul '20

My xfinity internet has been spotty as well this week. Was wondering what was going on. Would suddenly drop then come back up but not to normal levels.

Fins2dleft
Jul '20

I had the same issue everyday. I also had to reboot everytime in order for it to start working again. It's very frustrating when you're working from home.

Hi
Does anyone have a good link and recco for both a router and modem for Xfinity?

Adair J Moore Sattel Adair J Moore Sattel
Jul '20

Logged into my account online and reset the modem, speed went up for about 2 minutes then crashed again. But apparently it is only on my phone that it is so low because looking at the network speed on my dad's phone shows a much higher number. Online it explains the more devices connected the less speed to go around for everyone, but we've had the same number of devices for months and never had an issue till now.

They say you only need 25mbps to stream 4k videos and speedy downloads, but clearly that's not true since anytime it's under 100 videos start buffering. It also shows no outages or issues present in the area.

Any other suggestions on how to fix this? I'm not looking forward to calling them as I feel they are just going to tell me what it said online again. Or try to get us to upgrade our service/router/modem.

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Jul '20

Actually this now makes me think of my own problems. About 2 months ago, my TV would freeze up and go to an error message, then state there was a problem on their end and say "Try Again" with another error message. The issue would at first fix itself by hitting "Enter" when it said "Try Again", but then it would only be fixed by a reboot. I also have surge protectors on all my device outlets and I noticed that it indicated that a surge had hit the line, so I wondered if that had been a factor. My TV was still OK, thank goodness.

The freezes and reboots seemed to come more often, so I called their Tech. line at night, where I got their Philippines office after going through the prompts, which was a pleasure. (In the daytime you get the US.) Her English, cadence of speech and lack of an accent were excellent, which made it very easy to understand and communicate with her. She waited while I rebooted the cable box so that she could communicate with it and do a reset from there. This worked for about a day, then it got progressively worse again and a reset from the Xfinity website did nothing to help either, so I went to their website and set up an appointment for service.

The tech showed up within the 2 hour window they were scheduled for. He replaced a couple of connectors on my outside line, which is actually a box serving my group of 5 townhomes, rather than a line from the street to each place. My signal was excellent, but the box was another story. Since he couldn't come inside, he gave me a package and asked me to swap out my box and he'd take care of the rest. He came back in 10 minutes to check that everything was ok and that both that box and my upstairs sub-box worked.

It could be that a lightning strike or a surge in the line after an outage may have done something to your Modem/Router that won't be fixed by a simple reboot or reset. If that turns out to be the case, then you'll have to make an online appointment for service from their website or app. In my case, the Samsung cable box they had originally given me when my service was started a year ago was replaced with one of the generic "Xfinity" boxes. There is a bit of fan noise as compared to the old one, but it's not unbearably bad.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '20

Hmm its possible, I recall three weeks ago the connection went out completely on all devices and we had to restart the modem for it to work again. Perhaps there was an outage of some sort that started this whole thing. Could explain the sudden change. Thanks!

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Jul '20

There's also much less bandwidth to go around to as many of us are working from home, or out of work and may be streaming netflix all day.

Thecatsmeow: That would be true if you had 25mb/s and only one device. If you have multiple devices streaming it can cause issues. Of course the devices on the other end can be an issue.

If you all don't yet, make sure you have a DOCSIS3.1 model. Its capable of much more speed, where an older DOCSIS3.0 maxes out around 140mb/s in reality. I went from 140-150 to 340-350 instantly with a newer modem. There's still intermittent issues, but I'm chalking that up to weather and more home broadband use - and restarting often.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Jul '20

I don't want to jinx myself, but we have Xfinity and haven't had a problem, even while working from home. Also no issue streaming in the evening.

In case this helps someone, we didn't take the rental equipment, we purchased our own router-
https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-MG7700-AC1900-Gigabit-Maximum/dp/B07BRZ2KW5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=motorola+docsis+router&qid=1594067295&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVk5FRDROUUJIVUtNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTkwNTg3MU1QQVNENTE0RllCVSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTMxMDU3TUdRTVc0NlQxSDZFJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

hktownie hktownie
Jul '20

Re: Xfinity wifi

I have this for almost a year and I’ve had no issues with anything,bought it at Walmart for around $160. I don’t work from home with it ...and Xfinity is my internet provider.

If you want to buy your own, make sure its on this list: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-approved-cable-modems

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Jul '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.