Stacked Rocks at Field of Dreams

Has anyone ever noticed all the stacked rocks all over the sides of the walking paths. For context if you have not, they are 3-7 rocks stacked on top of each other with larger rocks on bottom and smaller on top. Kind of interest just wondering if anyone knows the history about these piles. Gotta be 100+ of them.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jun '20

Seems to be a "thing" people do for fun. This is an article from last summer discussing the detriment it has on National Parks.

https://medium.com/@ascension_/its-time-to-stop-stacking-stones-in-national-parks-and-beyond-4753e3a52c98

they're called cairns. greg posted a good article about them. the only benefit I see in them is when you're on unmarked trails they can often make you aware of an intersection or easy-to-miss turn in the trail. but as the article states they go against the basic principles of "leave no trace".

very odd to have them on paved walkways at field of dreams lol

hiker hiker
Jun '20

Not on paved sections.
In treed buffer zones or on the fringes of the woods.

Stymie Stymie
Jun '20

Probably old rock walls that separated property lines from each other in the farming days of the area.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jun '20

Probably the most interesting thing at Field of dreams

kepa
Jun '20

It's what artsy people think is cool to do.

Pretty much posted my exact thoughts, Josh.

Consigliere
Jun '20

They're like puzzles.
Takes a little thought and patience to get them balanced and in ascending order.
When I’m there I’m motoring, but I do enjoy seeing them.
If only the people that don’t clean up after their dogs would show the same effort....

Stymie Stymie
Jun '20

All good info and observations, what is even more interesting is there are 100+ of them but I never see anyone working on them or doing new ones but yet new ones appear all the time.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jun '20

the magic of the dream from the field. ENJOY

katmandu katmandu
Jun '20

It’s Dreamhenge.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jun '20

I just saw the stacked rocks at the park. I think they look great, It looks like a rock garden .

Park fan
Jun '20

They may look great within their own realm of concept, but you may miss the entire point.

Read the article above. Many people go out in nature to enjoy what is natural.

To disrupt that based on your own “artistic” or fun feelings may take away from what others want and what is nature.

Just because no one is around does not mean it is your own art gallery for you to do with as you please.

Amusingly there is a place in Philly that was an empty lot, but eventually some artistic bum took it upon himself to start filling it with literal garbage, and after time it grew large enough to become a spectacle and they charged money.

The owners of the lot found out and wanted to remove the junk and the bum, but somehow with the retardedness of the court - they lost and the bum was allowed to take control of the property and keep his garbage there.

He has since died but there is a “non-profit“ that is happily taking advantage while lining their pockets from people dumb enough to stand in line and look at garbage glued to a wall on property that was stolen from the rightful owner.

Philly is full of garbage. Kinda hard to tell the difference there when it’s “fancy” garbage.

YeahRight YeahRight
Jun '20

Jeez Josh.
Tourists pay big money and flock to Stonehenge.
Natural stones also.
“Amazingly”, there are paved paths, baseball backstops and a Frizbee golf course at the Field.
Refreshment stand, seating areas and portajohns.
Stunning to me that they spoil your experience.
Should they also remove “Timmy’s” Memorial?

Stymie Stymie
Jun '20

But field of dreams is a manicured field with a paved path surrounded by a bunch of invasive plants, it's not nature.

kepa
Jun '20

I haven’t even seen the rocks you guys are talking about. I am just referencing the article above.

That being said, I still wouldn’t do it at a public park.

They have stacked rocks in the garden behind the sushi place, they look nice there.

If you like rock stacking just look at some of what this guy has done: https://www.gravityglue.com/

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '20

Re: Stacked Rocks at Field of Dreams

It's really no big deal - not a fence or disturbing the environment or cairns. It just some dude that likes to stack rocks for maybe 200 feet - maybe 4 or 5 stacks. Not hurting anything. Non -issue - they have been there for at least 5 years.

save the stacked rocks !

katmandu katmandu
Jul '20

To the angry middle aged man knocking down all the rock formations this morning. I ask why? You truly have issues!!

PaulyWalnutz PaulyWalnutz
Sep '20

Paul nuts-

If you need a reason why someone might not want someone's idea of 'art' in a park instead of actual nature- why don't you scroll up and see my earlier response.

There are other places to 'express yourself'... these are not 'formations'... they are just as unnatural as graffiti- that others also think of as perfectly OK, and an art form.

Maybe formations is the wrong word. Graffiti seems a little extreme Josh. Some are building the rocks as a form of meditation and to invoke balance in their life and the park is perfect place for that. Might I suggest you look at gravityglue.com

I do thank you for you explanation as to why someone might do this. I guess I just expected more from a middle aged man enjoying a morning walk around the park.

Sep '20

Pauly, if you happen to see this again- please take a picture of the man child knocking the rocks over.

Maybe it's the original stacker, creating a fresh canvas

kepa
Sep '20

"please take a picture of the man child knocking the rocks over."

What would you do, call 911? Oy!

maja2 maja2
Sep '20

He isn’t knocking down personal property or being a vandal- do why is he wrong? Putting them up can be considered one act of expression- knocking them down another.

We are talking about small rocks- at a public park- that were not put up by township employees for aesthetics- rather park users- to “express” themselves.

Freedom of expression is encouraged- until it doesn’t fit into someone’s box of what it should be. Do we know that the persons that stacked them to begin with were not “middle aged” (which is how old exactly in your view)

Sounds like liberal thinking to the T to me!

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Sep '20

Didn't take long for someone knocking over some rocks to get political.....

Iampc Iampc
Sep '20

There is not a shred of political thought in my post Rhyme. I guess it’s a had to be there situation. It’s a grown many knocking down something that someone created with an anger level that resembles a 3 year old and then walking around like he is proud of his accomplishments. Not every debate in this country needs to be politically motivated. Since you question his age. I would venture to say 45-60.

PS. I did not say he did anything wrong. I clearly asked why?

Sep '20

I consider them a creative endeavor and an artistic expression.
Some of them are not just the stacking of rocks.
Some of them are quite clever.
They are an expression of positive energy and sharing.
His is negative energy.
If this gent feels offended and finds it necessary to “erase the board”, I feel bad for him. His energy would be better spent picking up a couple of pieces of litter.
I’m confident they will return.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '20

Leave no trace.

Timmy
Sep '20

the rock garden looks nice'' save the the stacked rocks"

PARK FAN PARK FAN
Sep '20

Re: Stacked Rocks at Field of Dreams

Saw this yesterday....

Dam

As long as the camera wasn't tilted when you took the picture, that's a really nice example of physics and the associated geology and math components! Geology + types of rock and weathering coefficient affects their coefficient of friction. It's that coefficient of friction which allows them to then overcome the force of gravity.

Smoother surfaces would just slip off one another and wouldn't allow stacking like that. The rougher surfaces of the rock allow for gravity to actually almost "force' them together, by the granular surface of each rock locking into each other, no matter how slightly and holding them together. Of course, in some cases, there may also be a very slight magnetic attraction holding them together as well!

Lots of individual vector force calculations could be done per individual grain or section of each rock, though I believe an overall equation would suffice to explain the overall effect.

Science and art at the same time...just my read on it.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

perfect phil D, thanks

PARK FAN PARK FAN
Sep '20

If you want to see some serious Rock Stacking - this guy is amazing - https://www.gravityglue.com/about/

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '20

Other countries make sophisticated Iphones. America is entertained by stacking rocks.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Sep '20

"Other countries manufacture sophisticated Iphones designed by Americans. America is entertained by freedom."

I fixed your comment for you.

Complaints about stacked rocks is the worst thing I’ve ever seen, and I watched the presidential debate.

Roywhite Roywhite
Sep '20

Those making those sophisticated iphones in those other countries sure are enjoying their hourly wages and great working conditions.

Iampc Iampc
Sep '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.