Appliance removal

I recall Someone locally would come and remove old appliances for free... any recommendations would be appreciated!!!

Shaddog Shaddog
May '20

You may be thinking of the DPW will pick up appliances. If it's a stove, washer, or dryer the pickup doesn't need anything additional. But if it's a fridge or something with freon it needs a sticker from town hall.

Today most of the DPW services are suspended, but not all. You'll need to call and see if they will pick up or not.

For more info:

https://www.hackettstown.net/sites/hackettstownnj/files/uploads/white_goods_collection.pdf

You want someone to come for free- leave for free- and dispose for free?

Best you can ask is scrap metal- so you better make it easy, drag em to your curb, hang a sign on them if you live where traffic passes or put a post on craigslist if on a side road.

Expect someone to climb up 2 stories? Nah.

josh
that's funny. good one

tangerine tangerine
May '20

It depends on the appliance.

Refrigerators and freezers can be hauled for free and you get a $50 check. FYI -- no way can you schedule this to be in concert with your replacement unit so you need somewhere to put it for awhile.

AC and humidifier units rebate $25.

Of course, put on hold for C19 but there is a list. NJCleanEnergy is the place for all this plus rebates for buying efficient, etc. I have used this many times from whole-house AC down to chest freezers. Always nice to put a little change in the pocket for being energy efficient. As to who pays: you do. It comes out of your electric bill, tyvm.

Here's the site: https://njcleanenergy.com/ fyi --- I have always found better prices for the light bulbs etc. but now I see they have opened a "instant rebate" at local stores. H-town stores are at the end of the list and include Walmart. Dollar Tree. Salvation Army. Lowe's, and Home Depot. Since that's where I buy, guess I will try the program next time.

FYI --- checks take forever to come, of course. Also, they ask the units to be running, used to be they said like turned on 24-hours before pickup. Now they just say "operational." The drivers never really checked anyway; I always just turned it on a hour before pickup.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '20

That clean energy program is really good. It's easy to schedule the pickup which is the same as having someone else come and get it for free. Yes, it's a while before you get it but the check that comes along is just a complete bonus.

They also are behind the rebates for when you redo your furnace/HVAC. Most things you put in today are efficient enough to get a nice size rebate to offset the cost of the new unit.

I have left a dishwasher out on my curb for weeks and no one took it
I live on a busy street too. Is there no market for dishwashers?

H-Town Mama H-Town Mama
May '20

I just paid 200. for removal from 2nd floor of a large, solid wood Basset Furniture computer cabinet. I used “Got Junk”, they came gave me the price and it was gone. I really loved it but we are getting ready to move and I won’t have a place for it.

SusanC SusanC
May '20

Sometimes theres no option but I hesitate to use an outfit like that, you paid them 200 for an item they can sell.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '20

Who cares if they can sell it? They paid for the truck, insurance, fuel, labor to come get it. Paying to store it somewhere until they sell it. Ugh.

You do realize most places you even 'donate' things to sell them as well right?

Most 'non-profit' place also play themselves *very* well.

I care. I addressed the post “I hesitate”.
I understand the logistic and overhead aspect of the biz. I don’t see it as a worth while practice to pay someone to take your asset.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '20

$200 to take a computer table is outrageous no matter where they stuck it.

Show of.hands, who would have disposed of it for $100 and felt lucky to do so? I mean what, 30 minutes?

Personally, if up against the wall, would’ve taken apart and tossed slowly with the trash over a few weeks for free. It’s just screwed together.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
May '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.