Corona Virus Stimulus Package in form of Visa Debit Card

Anyone else mistake this for just another advertisement for credit card? It comes in plain white envelope, no official government markings.

Golf Gal Golf Gal
May '20

Read https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/05/if-you-got-a-debit-card-for-your-stimulus-payment-watch-out-for-scams-and-fraud.html

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
May '20

Husband mistook it for just another credit card ad...threw it away! Seems that has been a common reaction to the white envelope, IRS now sending out a separate letter to inform people not to throw out or shred the debit card. Communication on this poorly handled. There is a phone number to call to request replacement.

Golf Gal Golf Gal
May '20

Are they coming via debit to people who have no direct deposit and is everyone getting them again?

I had the same issue with a buddy who was trying to send me a check using his BOA online banking. I threw two of them away without opening them because they looked like junk mail...

ianimal ianimal
May '20

Sher, we received the debit card because we don't do direct deposit with respect to IRS refunds. So, we didn't receive the stimulus check mailed weeks ago.

Golf Gal Golf Gal
May '20

Golf gal thank you for letting me know.

I got a check little over a week ago. When did this debit card stuff start?

Monday, May 18th the Treasury Dept. made the decision to change to the debit cards. The idea was people would get the money faster; however, the changeover wasn't well publicized. NOW, the IRS sending out letters cautioning people not to throw away those white envelopes and the cards are legit.

Golf Gal Golf Gal
May '20

GolfGal - I watch every press conference and It was announced by the treasury secretary at no less than two of them. If the MSM didn't repeat it as news, it's on them.

Calico696 Calico696
May '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.