Dented cans???????????

Just returned from my weekly trip to Walmart. I have noticed an issue with dented cans on the shelves (fruit, vegetables, condiments, Chef Boyardee pasta, etc) in the past - but today it seemed every can I picked up had a sizeable dent in it. How are these cans getting dented (it almost seems intentional since they are delivered boxed) and is it even safe to have these cans out on the shelves for sale? Personally I dont think they are safe - even a pin hole in the crease of the dent would allow bacteria to grow - what an awful waste of food.

Treetops Treetops
May '20

It would absolutely be an awful waste of food if it was discarded for having a dented can.

found this: If a can containing food has a small dent, but is otherwise in good shape, the food should be safe to eat. Discard deeply dented cans. ... A sharp dent on either the top or side seam can damage the seam and allow bacteria to enter the can. Discard any can with a deep dent on any seam.Mar 24, 2015

Shelf-Stable Food Safety - USDA FSIS

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

Shoprite would never sell dented cans

Bug3
May '20

Whether the can has a small or large dent in it, another thing to look out for is if the ends of the can are bulging outward. If it shows that, I'd take the can to a Food Dept. Manager. The last thing any business wants is to poison their customers.

That can be a sign of botulism growth, the same goes if you go to open a can and it spurts or gushes out, somewhat like a can of soda that's been shaken a bit. While inksted botulism may make people happy with their new look, ingested Botulin toxin can severely sicken and even kill you.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '20

"Inksted"...wth? "Injected"!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '20

On one hand, dented can botulism is pretty rare. On the other hand, if you get botulism, good chance it’s a dented can.

Finger deep dents or dents across an end or side seam bad. Little dents not so bad. Unremovable rust bad, removable not so bad. Bulging bad. Funny looking food bad.

Hint; don’t buy dented cans; that way only you or packer dented it. Might be with food supply not as consistent; folks stocking what they might have tossed three months ago. Seems like staples like taters or onions are kinda less than perfect recently too. Seem ok but don’t store long.

Signs on the times.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
May '20

Ok so asking the obvious question here, being that you have noticed this issue, did you bring it to anyone's attention at the store?

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '20

JrzyGirl88 - No I did not seek out a manager because of the current situation. This is something I have been noticing for the past month or two - I usually search through the cans to find one that is not dented. However this past trip there were so many that it struck me as strange. When things calm down I will grab a manager if it continues. Like someone said earlier Shoprite does not put dented cans out - this is something I have not noticed at Shoprite or Weis..

Treetops Treetops
May '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.