Road-Side Flowers

Does anyone know what the purple and white flowers are growing on some road sides? They are usually in areas that are not mowed. I assume they are a weed but they sure are pretty.

Just Curious Just Curious
May 27th

I used to see them all the time growing up as a young child near my grandmother's house. I believe they are called "Dame's Rocket". I hope this helps!

I thought they were called phlox. Who knew?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May 27th

The tall kind of garden phlox looks like it, but all the flowers are on a single stalk. When you look at the road side flowers you should see the central stalk splits into three and there are flowers on each one. CE nailed it, it's a wild flower called Dame's Rocket. Tall garden phlox won't be out for another two months.

Many thanks!!

Just Curious Just Curious
May 28th

thank you for asking this questions, I has wondered this for years!! Thank you to the plant experts on HL!

They are an invasive species, but I can't say I really care because they are so darn pretty!

eperot eperot
May 28th

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Road-Side Flowers
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.