Space-X Launch today May 27

Weather forecast doesn't look great, don't know if they will be able to launch today...
I find it very exciting.

Weather permitting, launch is scheduled for 4:33pm EDT

First time since 2011 America will put astronauts into orbit, with their own rockets and from American soil.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May '20

Yes, since the Space Shuttle decommission we have been using Russian old but proven technology.

I hope it goes off without a hitch. I am surprised that this is not a bigger event in the media. I guess everything takes a backseat to Covid-19 right now.

Space Rocks Space Rocks
May '20

Nasa's share (taxpayer money) of today's launch: 3.14 BILLION.

No clue how what the additional number is that came from SpaceX's own funding.

Cost each time we send up an astronaut in a russian rocket: $80-$100 per seat.

Apparently if they scrub the mission, they will not make the call until launch time... just have to wait it out.

May '20

Maybe cuz we buying tv time to attract recruits for the Space Force. Now there’s money well spent.

Fyi- I’ve been watching coverage all day. Been pretty steady spots on MSNBC. Although they are reflecting everything off C19 since 100k gone is pretty huge news.

Hope the weather gives them a break. Tornado warnings in place.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
May '20

Shame that it's not being broadcast on the NASA 4K channel... 1080p will have to do, I guess.

ianimal ianimal
May '20

Launch scrubbed... )=

ianimal ianimal
May '20

Yeah, something about electrical activity in the area, can't have that while loading propellant. I think the next window is saturday.

May '20

You are correct... 15:22 on Saturday or 15:00 on Sunday... luckily, I don't have much going on this weekend, lol.

ianimal ianimal
May '20

Launch attempt 3:22pm today (saturday). But, "there's a strong possibility weather with prevent a launch today", according to the launch director.

If so, another try tomorrow...

May '20

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

A link to the live feed.

We have liftoff

Bug3
May '20

That blew me away. Wow.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '20

Incredible!

Awesome to watch.

Calico696 Calico696
May '20

Incredible.
I’ve yet to see video of the booster landing, only it in place on barge as the feed cut out. Anybody have a link to video of it?

Roywhite Roywhite
May '20

What a proud day.

DogDayAfternoon
May '20

That booster landing almost perfectly within the marked circle was really impressive to say the least.

Roywhite, the booster landing.

https://youtu.be/Dm__ZSLc6Is

maja2 maja2
May '20

Thx!
Like Forbidden Planet.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '20

Maja, some comments are saying that’s a booster landing from 2016.

Not that it would look much different, just a point of clarification.

Out of the several launches (and landings) I’ve watched the video feed from the barge always cuts out right at touch down. Probably quite a bit of shaking, fire, smoke, etc. that interferes with the satellite connection.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '20

After watching the video cut out and then the rocket miraculously standing in the center of the circle mid-deck when it came back on, i immediately thought that they cut the feed intentionally so as not to give the Chinese any video data from which to clone their tech.... either that, or it's all still being done on a soundstage in Burbank somewhere (-;

ianimal ianimal
May '20

Crew chooses Planet Caravan by Black Sabbath as their "wake up music"... Ozzy is now officially extra-terrestrial, lol.

ianimal ianimal
May '20

It was a beautiful thing! The USA is back in the launch business! Now just fingers crossed re-entry goes off without a hitch...

I read something (I can't find the article now), where Musk was discussing there is a slight chance that on re-entry the asymmetric shape of the Dragon capsule (which was a design necessity), could cause problems with the capsules attitude during re-entry. He emphasized a SLIGHT chance. Fingers crossed and prayers said!

May '20

That is cool Ian. Must have been weird in a very cool way!

“the asymmetric shape of the Dragon capsule (which was a design necessity), could cause problems with the capsules attitude during re-entry.“

The DEMO-1 mission using a Crew Dragon capsule launched, docked, and returned successfully, so they should know what affects the shape has on actual re-entry (beyond theoretical modeling).

The capsule used for that first demo mission to the ISS is the one that blew up during a static engine test (no risk of that on the remainder of this mission as those engines are only used for launch abort, not re-entry or splashdown).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '20

I hate conspiracy theories surrounding everything, which is why I searched all afternoon for the booster landing, didn’t find anything till maja post.
Amazing either way.

BTW: watch netflix doc on Epstien, the dirt he must of had on video....

Roywhite Roywhite
May '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.