Memorial Day 2020

With the parade cancelled are there any other creative plans going around to honor this day? Everyone in town outside at 10AM to make some noise? Moment of silence or something broadcast by WRNJ?

hktownie hktownie
May '20

As Members of the American Legion we received a note from the National American Legion Commander encouraging communities to pay tribute to our Nations fallen heroes by placing lighted candles of honor on our front porches or steps at dusk on May 25th (Memorial Day) . as a reminder to everyone we will continue to honor those who served and will continue to do so forever regardless of what circumstances we find ourselves in as a community or a nation...We may not be able to parade but there is always some way to honor our heroes who so proudly served our country..

joyful joyful
May '20

There is also an act, created in 1996 by the White House Commission on Remembrance. In it, the president is supposed to annually issue a proclamation stating that at 3 pm, everyone observe 2 minutes of silence and remembrance.

summerrain1 summerrain1
May '20

Thank you joyful, this is a great idea. We will do this along with hanging our flag.

hktownie hktownie
May '20

Great time to binge watch Band Of Brothers.

Should be mandatory watching for all at some point in high school.

If you don't serve, at least it can give you perspective for what others did that allow us to enjoy the life we have.

Memorial Day should be celebrated every day IMO. Those who laid down their lives for the very freedom we are provided cannot be honored enough. Please be respectful and remember that Memorial Day is for those who lost their lives in service to our great country. We have Veteran's Day for those who served and are still living or have passed after serving and Armed Forces Day for those who are currently serving.

Calico696 Calico696
May '20

Great suggestion, Josh.

+1 Calico- I've been spreading that gospel for years.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May '20

Band of Brothers was followed by The Pacific. Also excellent. One of the characters in The Pacific is John Basilone who grew up in Raritan and was a Medal of Honor recipient.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
May '20

Not dissing anyone, but ever wonder why there isn't a "wartime civilian day?" Or do we honor spouses and family on these days? We might that, I just am not sure, perhaps my bad for not noticing.

I mean I have a relative who had five sisters and a mother in Italy and "volunteered" to go behind enemy lines to provide support and care. He struggled to survive there the entire war, it was really bad if you didn't rah-rah those in power, he faced death many times, almost starved the whole time, you name it. You think this sequester is bad? The cost: his US wife declared him dead and remarried. No internet, no mail, no updates -- for years. Even took a year or more after the War before the boats were accessible to common civilians.

Again, not dissing anyone, but seems we really don't do service to the civilians living under these rules nor the service-folk's families and significant others except through honoring them. Not that I would change any of that, just wondered about those left out who, frankly, served as well.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '20

https://www.military.com/spousebuzz/blog/2013/05/memorial-day-remember-all-or-just-military.html

This is a short piece regarding who ought to be memorialized on what really is a sacred day for our military.

Greg

Great short article. I'm sure my parents would have loved to have had a resource like military.com way back when.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '20

SD, we would need a framework for this; I am not sure what this would look like?

Oh, I get it, makes sense, but is there a day for civilians? Just wondering because realky not good at these. So appreciate rhe article, thanks.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
May '20

I guess you could say the Merchant Marines are somewhere between civilians and military. By in large not eligible for VA benefits or service medals (they have their own).

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
May '20

Funny, that relative I mentioned who went behind the lines to serve the War protecting his mother and sisters was also a merchant marine. But as my father who served and paid a price and he who didn’t but it sure weren’t nice; both would’ve said; give the parade to those other ones; they deserved it more. Both lost their wives, changed their lives in that War, truly our Greatest Generation. Remember that when asked to sacrifice the precious little we are, for love of country and community.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
May '20

Joyful Has a great idea! The more red, white and blue the better. We will never forget our fallen. The Legion is putting together a video of all of our local veterans. We hope to be overwhelmed with stories and photos of all of our heroes. It will be available at a later date. If you have pictures of local veterans or great past Memorial Day parade pictures we want to here from you. An article recently covered our plans and how to help our community remember those who are and have served. We want to make this video so it can be seen in our stores, restaurants and homes on holidays and anytime you want to share the history. He is the article and where to submit photos. Pass on this info please and lets always keep our fallen heroes close to our heart.
HACKETTSTOWN, NJ (Warren County) – For the first time in 152 years American Legion Post 164 has canceled its annual Memorial Day parade and community remembrance service, but is asking the community to contribute to a Post 164 and community wide project to pay tribute to those who have died serving the country,
American Legion Post 164/Historian Jacquie Petersen said.
Photos and messages can be emailed to: post164Historian@yahoo.com.

“In communicating with town officials and in following the state of NJ Covid-19 executive order regarding safe social distancing it is necessary to cancel the parade for the safety of the community. The nature of a social gathering like the parade make it impossible to protect each other. Unfortunately, we are in uncharted waters.The Legion has had a rain or shine policy for over 150 years. It would be irresponsible to put each other at risk,” Peterson said.

“Our men and women in the services died protecting us and we owe it to not only those troops but to their families and each other to social distance until this virus blows over. We owe it to all those people on the front lines right now. This will pass and we will we will rise. Americans always do,” Peterson said.

The American Legion requests that over the Memorial Day weekend and on Memorial Day, Monday, May 25 you take a moment to reflect on the freedoms our men and women have fought and died for in this great nation and to take the day to enjoy the company of your family. We still live in the greatest country in the world, Peterson said.

The Legion will be creating a video montage featuring photos of local veterans and community members showing support for our fallen heroes, as well as photos from past Memorial Day ceremonies, Peterson said.

“The thought being that at a future date a link to not only the American Legion’s website but WRNJ Radio, the historical society and even, local businesses can use it on Memorial Day, The 4th of July and Veteran’s Day. These are our sons and daughters and we will never forget their sacrifices,” Peterson said.

Photos should include the veterans name, branch and campaign or conflict. Photos with posters or Patriotic messages should be appropriate for honoring our Armed Forces, Peterson said.

Those who have a relative who is currently serving, served or was lost serving the country are welcome to submit a photo of their loved one and message to include in the video. If you would like to email that photo and a little background information we would love to know your/their story and would love to be able to share it. The American Legion and Hackettstown Community hope enough residents participate to make this testimonial worthy of veterans’ sacrifices, Peterson said.

Photos and messages can be emailed to: post164Historian@yahoo.com.

Jacquie Petersen Jacquie Petersen
May '20

Taps Across America- 3:00pm

auntiel auntiel
May '20

My father (WWII veteran) always said Taps was the saddest song ever written. I'd have to agree. I can't hear it without tearing up.

May '20

Easton had an unpublicized Memorial Day Parade today which consisted of a small honor guard. Two politicians joined during the parade in order to lay two wreaths and cast another into the Delaware River:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G17t5tPBLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Ic_bNaf5Y&feature=emb_logo

Phil D. Phil D.
May '20

Re: Memorial Day 2020

Thanks to the fallen. Your ultimate sacrifice is appreciated by a grateful nation.

Tried to explain to the kids the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day... I expect a similar conversation will need to occur in November... and probably NEXT May... who am I kidding?

ianimal ianimal
May '20

Re: Memorial Day 2020

For those unfamiliar, this is from President Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. I believe though he was speaking about the fallen of the civil war, his words are timeless and stand for ALL of our fallen, throughout history (photo is the American cemetery at Normandy, France.)

" It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863

May '20

Wise words from a wise man. Thanks for posting them, JR.

Calico696 Calico696
May '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.