Dog poop

Dog poop

Ok Townies here’s the gig... for 9 years I’ve been Maintaining the Pocket Gardens in Main Street. I spend my time, effort and money to give folks the opportunity to admire and enjoy them. I love the smile on people’s faces as they walk by to admire them. However when I walk by and see dog poop left behind it infuriates me!!! Can’t you see these are kept gardens? PICK UP AFTER YOUR ANIMAL !!!then the dog scratches up the mulch and trashed the seedlings planted.. DO ME A FAVOR CURB YOUR DOG AND PICK UP AFTER IT!!!

Larry Mew Larry Mew
May '20

People who do this should be shot.

Sacks cousin
May '20

Could be worse......could have been a horse.

First, Larry big THANK YOU for your time and effort in tending to the gardens.....they always look so nice.

Second....shame on whoever lets their dog do this and not pick it up.....shame shame on you!

sandblaster sandblaster
May '20

People shouldn’t own dogs if they can’t pick up after them. It’s part of the having dog responsibilities they take on when they get a dog. It’s horrible at the Park off Seber road too.
Thank you Larry for keeping Main St looking good. I love being able to see the gorgeous flowers and landscape when I’m stopped at a light in town :)

Moneyfail
May '20

Disgusting lazy pet owners should be called out. Thank you for adding beauty to the world.

Treetops Treetops
May '20

Thank you for the upkeep, Larry. (LOL, not so much for the photo)
Most people appreciate it and love the look it gives. I'm going to think positive and think a stray did it, so that I can keep thinking no one would do that with their pet.
Thanks for being so kind to do this all the time.

DogDayAfternoon
May '20

My old neighbor used to let his dog run off leash and poop and pee all in peoples flower beds, bushes, etc.. and NEVER pick up his dogs poop! BUT, in his yard he had a sign with poop bags attached to it that said “Pick up after your dog!” It made me so mad to see his dog running through everyone’s gardens and he never cleaned up after his dog but he expected everyone else to clean up after their dogs.

Jesse132 Jesse132
May '20

Flicking cigarette butts out the window indiscriminately and not picking up after the family member (dog) two of my “pet” peeves.

Stymie Stymie
May '20

Thank you, Larry for the beautiful job you do for all of us to admire with your garden as we pass down Main Street, Hackettstown. I am saddened to hear that you have this problem and it just should not be. Perhaps posting a sign...Pick up after your Pet!!..or tell some of your neighbors to give them culprits the business if they see it happening.

joyful joyful
May '20

Hi Larry, my family and I have been enjoying your beautiful garden for years and wondering who the gardener might be. Thank you so much for all the love, time and effort you have put into gardening!

Independence Farmer Independence Farmer
May '20

Glad for all the work on all of the gardens everywhere on Main St.

Ever need any plants, just let me know.

My girlfriend and l walk our dogs usually twice a day (and diligently clean up after them!) and we have been dismayed at the recent increase during coronavirus of people not picking up their dog’s leavings. Piles all over the place, some left right on sidewalks! Disgusting. Pick up after your pet.

Eperot Eperot
May '20

I have three dogs and pick up after them always. I remember politely saying to someone that they should pick up after their dog and was told it is not necessary since it is organic and a natural fertilizer. Whether it is organic or not, I prefer not to step in it or mow over it.

Dndp
May '20

Dndp

Because a dog's diet is similar to a human diet, their poop is NOT a "natural fertilizer" as cow and horse manure are. I'm sure those people don't spread it on their garden soil at home and are likely to not even have a garden, since they're completely doltish and lazy. What they're saying is just a lazy, inconsiderate person's excuse. Here's a nice link. One of many in fact, that tell why they're wrong:

https://www.poop911.com/dog-waste-facts/

It's not even completely safe to compost, unless you have an active "hot" pile that can reach a temp. of 165F, as it mentions in this article:

https://www.petguide.com/blog/dog/5-reasons-dog-poop-doesnt-make-good-fertilizer/

If you feel like, you can educate them, or just pick it up and drop it in their yard, since it's "organic and a natural fertilizer". Of course maybe their car seat needs "fertilized" to help them "grow a brain", lol. Just joking of course, since the fine and charges for that exceeds those of failure to curb their dog(s). It IS tempting though sometimes, and YES, I was always a responsible dog owner who had one of those fire hydrant bag holders zip tied to my dog's leash. That way, he and I never went anywhere without them.

P.S. Last, but certainly NOT least, thanks so much Larry Mew for maintaining the "pocket gardens" around town. They're part of what makes this town special and a place I wanted to move back to. I'm just glad I was finally able to move back!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '20

Not picking up your dogs poop is just being lazy and rude. Seriously people, if you don’t pick up your dogs poop then don’t walk your dog in other peoples’ yards. I always bring bags and clean up their poop. I don’t usually walk my dogs because we have 3 acres of woods for them to run in but when I do walk them I clean up after them.

Jesse132 Jesse132
May '20

Thank you all for the kind words and advise townies...the issue seems to have been resolved... for now. I WILL CONTINUE to maintain them and allow ALL OF US TO ENJOY THEM. While on the subject... does anyone know if the planters that line Main Street are going to be flowered?i have 2 in the front of my place and I’m chomping at the bit to convert them into planters and not the king sized ashtrays they are becoming...ANY INFO WIULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!

Larry Mew Larry Mew
May '20

Now that we have had a decent snow storm I'm sad to see that people have "forgotten" that they should pick up their dog's poop. It's disgusting. Piles on top of the snow and right in the middle of the sidewalks.

Disgusting
Dec '20

I love dogs but Jesse it is a fact that there are plenty of lazy and rude dog owners.

Why hasn't anyone stated the obvious?? Picking up after your dog is THE LAW!! There's a $250 fine if you don't!!
We live in a very nice development in town, and walk our dogs daily. We carry plenty of bags, yet we see poop piles all over the place!! Even if it's in the street, if it came out of YOUR dog, it's YOUR responsibility to pick it up! It's unbelievable how many ignorant, selfish people own dogs and don't obey the law....maybe if they step in it and drag it all over their house, they'll give it a second thought!
All you lazy people, do the right thing and obey the LAW.....you know who you are!!

Dog Mom Dog Mom
Dec '20

I also hate when even if it's not poop, I don't enjoy seeing dog pee in the snow in front of my condo from lazy neighbors. Ugh. LOL - unfortunately, no law for that.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '20

Ahhh. The old saying. "Don't eat yellow snow".

Dogday, if there were no snow, you wouldn’t even see it. You realize dogs can’t go pee in the toilet, right?
How does that make for a lazy dog owner?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '20

Dogday- u do realize that all animals pee so it could be from a cat, deer, etc... now the most likely that your seeing is yes dog pee... but that does make a lazy dog owner... a lazy dog owner is one that leaves dog poop in someone’s yard or public area...

Hktmom5
Dec '20

Are we supposed to catch it in a cup? Sheesh.

I have witnessed deer taking a "pee" and it is identical to a larger dog.

What gets me is a walk in the woods and a large pile is in the path. At least get a stick and propel it far off the path.

This is why I own cats. They poop and pee in a box, I don't have to take them out for walks in the cold and night.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Dec '20

And then they walk on your counters. LOL

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '20

Yes, I DO see it when there's no snow - because the grass is a different color. When you see neighbors too lazy to walk their dog and have them pee there......geesh. I love dogs, but I do have some lazy neighbors. Yes, you can see when they go. You can also smell if it rains.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '20

Where does your dog pee, DDA?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '20

I don't have one. Why would that matter? If I had one right now, I'd walk it and not have it pee by neighbor's doors. Geesh

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '20

Well I still don’t understand the lazy dog owner that allows the animal to crap on a neighbors yard yet not their own. Maybe our lazy cops can start writing tickets and posting it to their Facebook forum like they did with weed. Now that low hanging fruit is gone they can make themselves useful this way on my tax dollars

Steve Steve
Dec '20

"And then they walk on your counters. LOL"

You can wash your counters before preparing food on them. On the other hand, when you let your dog lick your face, remember where his tongue has been.

LibertarianismRules LibertarianismRules
Dec '20

Ew. Who would let their dog lick them?

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '20

You'd be surprised. I've seen dog owners let their dogs "kiss" them on the mouth.

LibertarianismRules LibertarianismRules
Dec '20

I just came out of my house and to my surprise, there was a pile of dog poop in the snow halfway up my driveway! That is our property, and someone probably walked their dog with a retractable leash and didn't bother to watch them. Am I not supposed to be upset by this!?

Dog Mom Dog Mom
Dec '20

Its everywhere. On sidewalks, driveways, roadways, piles of snow. It costs nothing to be responsible and respectful and follow the law. Pick up the poop please.

Disgusting
Dec '20

I walk my dog at the Riverside park/Alumni field and it is interesting how you can find a poop pile less than 100 feet from the free poop bag dispenser... the one that you pass by on your way for your walk. Unfortunately, my dog finds all the poop that was left behind by others and sniffs it like a fine wine... at least she stops at sniffing it... some dogs don't!
People either just don't think it's wrong or they are lazy or they can't figure out how to manipulate the poop into the bag or it grosses them out to feel the hot, steamy load in their bag covered hand (It's not that bad in the winter)or they figure they are out in the woods or they just think their dog's poop doesn't stink!
I have to give a pass to older folks who can not bend over anymore. Although, in the past I have seen some people who carry the poop scoops with the long handle so they can get the job done but, that isn't always easy either.
Some owners are not too far removed from the animals they walk in that many animals in nature will not poop on their own territory but, will go to another's to do their business.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.