Japanese Maple Tree losing leaves

the leaves are drying up and falling off. Same thing happening to my daughter's 3 trees and I see a neighbors tree is doing the same thing

Noticed that on my trees as well - other than the leaves on the ground they look to be doing good.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
May '20

Happened to my tree last yr noticed these cocoons hanging from the branches turns out they are called bag worms. U need to pull them off and crush them, lowes sells a spray just for bag worms.

Bagworm Bagworm
May '20

There were two times over the last week where there was frost. That might do it.

It’s the frost. Mine lost a bunch of leaves last night. The leaves weren’t looking good since last week. I don’t see any big issues with mine

Sacks cousin
May '20

Mine too.

Yes.. frost... just leave it.. it should recover...

Grascal
May '20

Frost damaged mine also. Certain types of ferns were devastated.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
May '20

yep, mine too. frost damage

rleaf rleaf
May '20

That last frost killed my climbing hydrangea completely as well as one of my beautiful white bleeding hearts. It also fried some of the leaves on my other hydrangea plants as well as ferns. I have never experienced anything like this before.

Re: Japanese Maple Tree losing leaves

Iris - the white bleeding heart you gave me lost the two biggest branches. But then look how it's also come back after that frost.

Re: Japanese Maple Tree losing leaves

Wondering why mine is looking weird. Yellow spots mostly. Is it from the frost also?

Scott Scott
May '20

That's not frost. Those spots are fungus.

Had mine do the same. Roots were choking the main trunk. Had someone look at it. They trenched and did heavy fertilizing- pruned the dead branches and it cane back beautifully!
I have 2 of them and only one went into decline, started last fall and got worse in spring.
Apparently the roots girdled around the trunk and choked the tree.
All good now. Happy to say they will exceed 40 years!

Janine D'Esposito Janine D'Esposito
May '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.