Spring 2020 Flower Pictures

Spring 2020 Flower Pictures

Yes, it's that time of year. Hopefully I'm not alone using my time for something constructive.

The crocus have come and gone. The tulips are getting close. But in the meantime the daffodils and hyacinth rule.

Re: Spring 2020 Flower Pictures

White Hyacinth seems extra fragrant this year.

a walk in the NJBotanical Gardens - now off limits

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '20

I love spring time especially the sight of these beautiful flowers....

sandblaster sandblaster
Apr '20

I have something growing in my yard. I know nothing about flowers so I will go take a picture.

Ok this is a tree, but it has flowers on it. Because we can’t leave our house, it’s the only thing I can look at thats beautiful. I thought I’d share it with all of you.

LivingLifeLovingLife LivingLifeLovingLife
Apr '20

Forsythia

Joni Moore Joni Moore
Apr '20

Thanks for the white bleeding heart iris!!

our bleeding hearts just beginning

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '20

Here's my white azalea bush on Easter.

Our bleeding hearts are just poking through the ground now. I have a shady yard so my flowers always seem to be weeks later than others.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Apr '20

BL mixed together. My daffodils and tulips were beautiful until that wind got them. :(

auntiel auntiel
Apr '20

A little bit of rain has help a lot of things grow, including the lawn.

There will be a bumper crop of forget me nots, even more than last year's. Irises will still be a while but definitely ahead of schedule. Lilac with lots and lots of buds. That's probably only a week from opening.

wish they were mine - a neighbor - along our walk

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '20

Found whatever this is in my yard-

Josh - it looks like a bulb called "glory of the snow".

Interesting. Thank you.

Yeah, it's past Easter but Pasque Flowers.

lovely, GC

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '20

I don’t know if it was the frost or deer walking through but one of my bleeding hearts is bent over, some branches seem broken from the weight and my tree peony has half branches lying down. Anyone else suffer damage from the frost? More tonight.

justwondering justwondering
May '20

The white bleeding heart I posted above is just like that. Happened about two weeks ago, but it wasn't the frost and snow. It was the high winds. That's come along with the snow and has been more damaging than the temperature. Daffodils bent over, neighbors tulips have and some damage.

Thanks GC. Annoying to wait all year only to have them so damaged. I can’t have many flowers due to deer damage but these have usually be left alone. Maybe next year!

justwondering justwondering
May '20

I'm hoping the poppies survive. If they open wind will blow the petals off very quickly. Might only last a day and mine are very close.

Our gardens suffered a lot of freeze damage. It was 28 degrees yesterday morning when I got up and took several hours to get back above freezing. Big bleeding heart plants are now laying in a clump on the ground. We have many ferns that we’re thriving and looked fantastic a few days ago, now they are shriveled and dark green. We planted our vegetable garden last weekend (I know it was probably too early) and had everything covered. It looks like most plants are damaged but not too bad. I’m most worried about some of our trees. We have two beautifully Japanese maples whose leaves are all shriveled up; hopefully they’ll recover.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
May '20

I'm glad I got some pictures of the poppies before this rain. It always seems like just one good rain and the petals are all on the ground all at once...

Every day seems like more iris come out. Besides this one at home, I also have seen the Independence LIbrary garden yellow iris donated by Hopeful in Hackettstown are about to come out.

I'm glad you're came back. I'm hoping my hydrangeas didn't take too big of a hit. On the other hand, my peony tree looks wonderful this year with huge flowers!

Irises courtesy of the forum members. And my peony about to flower.

Tracy Tracy
May '20

Love the yellow ones.

Tracy Tracy
May '20

My bleeding heart took a beating for all the wind we had the last couple weeks but seemed to recover beautifully.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '20

Clematis are blooming - hopefully the deer won't get it this year - have bird netting around it -

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

Yes 4cat!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '20

My clematis won't be blooming for another month at least. Plus the sweet autumn clematis isn't until August. There's a house I walk by mornings that has a spectacular one covered in large blue flowers. Peonies getting closer and closer.

In the mean time the various irises are coming out - mostly thanks to MG!!

Tracy - Yellow looks like it's the one "Hopeful" gave out to all of us. Nice to see it doing well.

I'm glad the rhododendron I got last year to replace a tree is doing well. I see others around starting to open up. Last year was a really great year for them. This year looks good even if not as much as last year.

Amsonia doesn't seem to last a long time. But it looks really good this year even if there is a big old columbine right in the middle of it. I hope this is a sign of things to come.

This big batch just got started overnight. GC, I'm pretty sure these were yours.

Tracy Tracy
May '20

Wonder what this black stuff is on my hollies?

Just a heads up for the gardeners and flower bed people. The last few years I’ve built Some 4 x 8 raised beds. Got topsoil from Tickners. The stuff is great. Plants thrive.

Indie Indie
May '20

Walker’s Low Catmint in its second year is doing well.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '20

Tracy - Yes. And if you smell a light grape like fragrance to them you know for sure. You can thank my mom the next time you run into both of us in Shoprite. ;-)

Dam - Holly leaf blight, a kind of fungus. Definitely take immediate action with that.

My rhododendrons e doing great this year!

On the way to Stephens State park for a walk this morning we saw this peony at the side of the access road. Wondering how it came to be there. Then realized it was across from windows of the House of the Good Shepherd. I like to think maybe someone planted it there for a loved one to enjoy from her window.

Hktownie Hktownie
May '20

This is my Xmas cactus blooming in May!

Hktownie - Unfortunately it also looks like someone's smoking spot.

Iris - I've recently seen a couple really nice ones in town as well.

For some reason my huge baptisia is not as huge as usual. Still tall but a good foot smaller than last year.

GC I didn't even notice that! In general there seems to be more litter around lately. Such a shame.

Hktownie Hktownie
May '20

not my yard - Presby Iris Gardens, Montclair

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

We seem to be fluctuating in temps. Some irises fading, others barely out.

GC - is that an iris I passed to you?

Some lovely purple going on in the garden.

4catmom - Presby is my most favorite place to go!! Are they selling this year? I emailed them but never got a response.

MG - No, it is not. That came from Pennsylvania from my mom. But I think 80% of the types I have came from you.

I also have that exact same crane's bill in your picture - from the house next door to my mom in PA.

The shop at Presby is closed.....Gardens just open for beautiful wandering and photography

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

Presby website says they'll be doing a sale July 17-18 and opening the gift shop just for those two days:

http://presbyirisgardens.org/wordpress/iris-plant-sale-and-bloom-room-gift-shop-opens/

I'm looking for a hanging pot with fuchsia..............any suggestions - tried Donaldson
Tranquility Lowes Home Depot....happy to plant my own pot if I can find the plants

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '20

The peonies are really something. They're huge.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '20

4catmom - I was looking for the same and bought one at Best's. They come in three different varieties. They are large baskets for $25 and were also 10% off.

what's the plant in your pix?? this is what I'm looking for

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '20

The picture is called spiderwort, technical name tradescantia.

The typical fuchsia in your picture is the kind I bought from Best's. They have white and another color as well.

This pic is dianthus. (pink/mountain pink - same family as sweet william, carnations which is a double flower)

Thanks GC. Ultimately I found close to what I wanted at Godlewsky's......nicely shaped and in beautiful condition....And only about 13 buckos....

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '20

My Garden Bloomfest week 2

MidnightGardener1 MidnightGardener1
Jun '20

Picked these from my garden and made a small bouquet

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '20

MidnightGardener1 - That's quite the display of clematis there. I think I see at least 4 different plants of at least three different kinds. It looks like the roses are just about ready to pop open, with just one maybe two out. I'll bet when the rose and clematis are both out it looks even better.

3wbdwnj - How tall is your baptisia? Is it a bit smaller than other years? That's what seems to have happened to mine.

This cranes bill geranium has been out for a while. But most of the salvia are out or on their way. I have see buds of coreopsis, both kinds, that are very close to opening. Even liatris have tiny buds.

Moving right along, it's going to be time soon to move to "Summer Flower Pictures".

It’s about 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall this year, which is how it’s been in previous years. I actually think I need one of those grow thru grids for next year to keep it upright. Every time it rains it flops over.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '20

4catmom, it's a fushia☺️

Tammi Tammi
Jun '20

My Iris's

Tammi Tammi
Jun '20

Tammi - Growing Fuchsia Flower – Care Of Fuchsias

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '20

Solstice is only a few days away. Are we ready for the Summer thread??

I might not have bee balm out yet, but I have everything from blush campion, both kinds of coreopsis, foxglove, sweetspire, veronica, and even an early cone flower. Heliopsis, liatris, and daisies are close and showing signs of opening. I've seen hyssop blooming in the neighborhood.

Wait until the weekend heat comes...

Absolutely!

Here's one that opened today..I have a few others that are getting ready to show off their summer blooms

WOW!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.