School workload

I was wondering how long your child’s “school day” is for elementary school parents. My kid is done in about two hours!

For reals For reals
Apr '20

My 6th grader is done in 3-4 hours. I wish it were 2 hours.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '20

For my younger elementary school kids about 3 hrs. total but we spread it out over 5 or 6 hrs. Older ones 4, 5 or 6 hrs. depending on the subject that day. Adding in online learning with a laptop seems to add to the time. Online learning definitely is rough for us. I'd love to hear how more local people are making out.

We need more work. Only two zooms a week, One subject per day.

For reals For reals
Apr '20

For real, can I ask what school district that is?

Sport
Apr '20

My nephew keeps putting up a fight about doing it. He simply refuses and "doesn't get it" because he doesn't want to do it even with help. It's looking like hes going to be repeating the 5th grade because no matter what we do he will not do it or clicks random answers. However, we did set up our own little school schedule which involves gym time, snack time, art, like a normal day and his siblings are having no issues with it. We're usually done by 2pm

Person23 Person23
Apr '20

My 10th grader has about 5-6 hours per day. She is struggling and says the hardest part is keeping motivated.

Person23, we are having similar problems. My daughter has said she'd rather repeat the 10th grade than do the work. I have tried everything to help motivate her and help her and nothing helps.

Is everyone here from Hackettstown district?

For reals For reals
Apr '20

School districts are trying to balance the workload...they have to keep in mind both students who have lots of support and technology access at home and those who do not.

Also keep in mind that even though a typical school day is about 6 hours, much of that time is spent on crowd control: changing classes, handing out/collecting materials, attendance taking, direction giving, disciplining students, disruptions, etc. When you boil it down, the actual instruction and work time is much less.

If you are looking for MORE work for your students to do, beyond what your school/district is providing, my company (Edmentum) is giving away free access to Study Island for Home. Study Island is a standards-based practice site which is also used in some schools. You can sign up here: https://www.edmentum.com/support2020 (scroll down to bottom, looking for Study Island for Home). There is no catch...it's free. I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how much access my company is giving away.

Good luck to all parents! I've got two of my own children at home. We are all doing the best we can (teachers, parents, and kids) during these trying times!

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Apr '20

Most of my daughter’s teachers in Hackettstown High are not teaching. They find last minute on line video tutorials and have some kind if writing response exercise. No online instruction sessions, no interaction outside of emails.

Finding on line productions for them to view did not take much time....while I realize they did not have much time to plan for this, there is not a lot of effort being put in on behalf of the teachers or admin either.

I expected more given today’s available technologies, or at least something comparable to other platforms being used in other districts in the state.

Students in Hackettstown are not getting the value close to the $13,000 a year it cost to educate a student.

Timmy
Apr '20

Homeschooling is not easy especially when the majority of parents are not teachers. And then parents who have special needs kids it’s even more difficult. This is a challenge for many parents.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Apr '20

We should be reducing teachers pay if they aren’t working or teaching as much. To half ass something is not worth the thousands we are paying a year.

HomeImprovement HomeImprovement
Apr '20

HALF ASS?? We are in the middle of a global pandemic and these teachers are trying to teach online classes while taking care of their own families and their health and you’re calling it half ass. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Thank you for the perspective @Jerseygirl. Much appreciated. Unfortunately my child doesn’t want to do any supplemental work and the school, to it’s credit, sends plenty.

I do make sure she reads plenty and gets outside, etc.

I realize everyone is up against a force larger than life that takes life.

I also realize that this can’t be easy for kids being displaced from their friends and structure.

Teachers, too, have minefields to navigate as they were transitioned swiftly into an online format in an age of Internet inequality.

For reals For reals
Apr '20

This is also new to teachers. They have never had to do online teaching. We need to be patient and not bash them.

Sport
Apr '20

k12.com, pull the plug, home school your kids

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Apr '20

Does anyone have a kindergarten child in the Hackettstown school system? Wondering what the teachers are doing with them.

happiest girl
Apr '20

Timmy: they can’t start the online tutorials until the video consent has been signed, but I guess you have overlooked that legality. Maybe, just maybe, get all the info before writing a post that’s inaccurate. Have you filled out the consent, just wondering! Other districts, please.

HomeImprovement: are you serious? They’re probably working longer hours, and harder than in-school instruction. And FYI, it’s half-assed, not half-ass.

tripsy tripsy
Apr '20

I was hoping this thread did not revolve into a bashing session.

For reals For reals
Apr '20

My kids teachers are doing as much as they can during this crisis. It’s not easy on either side of this mess, for parents or teachers.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Apr '20

Trippy - no consent form sent or offered and none of her classmates have any on line curriculum available. Can’t take what isn’t offered.

No instruction effort at all on behalf of her teachers, just assignment of on line videos and response. One student teacher did do a video for a project he assigned...more than the paid teacher did.

We have friends whose children are actually being taught by their teachers on line in another part of state. Why can’t we have that here? After all the NJEA says: “It’s all about the students”.

Expected more from the school taxes we all pay.

Timmy
Apr '20

Timmy,

Did your college offer teaching degree programs? You missed your calling and the children are suffering.

Jim KIng
Apr '20

Coming from a school teacher, we are working harder than ever . Providing assignments, online meetings and around the clock availability for parents and students. This adjustment has been far from easy , especially dealing with judgement from people outside the field, who seem to have the idea we are on “vacation”. This is by far the most amount of work , and the most challenging my job has ever been. The hardest part is not being able to be with our students which makes are job so rewarding!

Flowerbud Flowerbud
Apr '20

You go Flowerbud!

Sport
Apr '20

Totally agree Flowerbud!

As far as students not being motivated. Learning is lifelong and the motivation to learn starts early in life....at home by the parents

Teachers tell students where to look....but not what to see....

Ziggy Ziggy
Apr '20

Timmy, then you have your head buried in the sand! Notifications have gone out to any form of contact you have listed on your child's account, that includes your child's school email. No online curriculum available? Now we know you're lying, or stirring the pot.
Are you one of those parents who doesn't bother to follow up when something isn't right, of just sits back and points fingers...I think your daughter is lying to you about the amount of instruction being give to her, and you are not bothering to check your emails and phone calls...not to worry, it will all come out in the wash when it turns out she didn't turn in any work that was assigned, her grades will reflect that!

tripsy tripsy
Apr '20

Flowerbud. Thank You! Your efforts are appreciated.

"It is not the critic who counts...Criticism is cheap. Anybody can criticize. Creating something of value is significantly more difficult." TR

Illegitimus non Carborundum

Jim KIng
Apr '20

Flower bud, you rock! I can’t imagine what you are up against.

I know that my child’s teachers have been readily available by email, google hangout and the occasional zoom.

They are very responsive and we appreciate that big time.

Lessons aside, this has been a learning experience for everyone.

For reals For reals
Apr '20

For reals, what district are you in? Hackettstown shouldn't be doing ZOOM.

tripsy tripsy
Apr '20

Thank you all for your positive messages ! Which we all need during this difficult time . I’m not in the Hackettstown District, but in my district many teachers , including myself are using Google meet or Zoom to provide daily instruction. I agree it’s a learning experience for both teachers and parents and we are in this together. Our teachers have gone above and beyond to provide support for our students .

Flowerbud Flowerbud
Apr '20

I am in Allamuchy. We still have our Spring break as scheduled.

For reals For reals
Apr '20

tripsy -- why can't Hackettstown use Zoom? Is FaceTime or Skype a better system?
Why can't teachers use whatever they want like in other districts?

happiest girl
Apr '20

There’s a lot that gore into this than we realize. Not all households are equipped with technology or Internet access. Plus, there was little time to prepare. Other districts east of here who have longer online days are in a different fiscal situation.

For reals For reals
Apr '20

With Hackettstown using Google, they should be able to make use of Google Meet for virtual meetings.

I have one child at HHS and one at Allamuchy Township, and I commend both schools (admin and teachers) for the level of communication, the work being sent, the outreach, everything.

For all the teachers in this thread...thank you! You are doing amazing work...keep it up!

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Apr '20

They don't the kids using zoom for security reasons. Zoom can be hacked into easily. We are using Google Meet.

Hockey mom Hockey mom
Apr '20

Hockey mom -- wow, I didn't know that. I wonder why other school districts are using Zoom when there are other options.

happiest girl
Apr '20

What Hockey Mom said! Thanks Hockey Mom :)

tripsy tripsy
Apr '20

Thank you Jersey Girl

Ziggy Ziggy
Apr '20

"Zoombombing" is why they said no more using zoom. It's like photo bombing. Lots of bored older kids were hacking into zoom conferences.
The work is OK. I take away iPad/tv/ phone until it's completed. We build in a walk break and a snack break.

Kerri
Apr '20

What are the best video conferencing options if Zoom is easily hacked into? Our school (maybe just our grade level) isn’t using anything. So there’s no interaction between teacher and students.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '20

Could NJ be next?
https://www.wfmz.com/health/coronavirus/pennsylvania-schools-ordered-to-remain-closed-until-end-of-academic-year/article_43d67250-7a6c-11ea-b835-93bc76fe0602.html

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '20

I think that's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '20

We use google Hangout And it’s working out very well

Ziggy Ziggy
Apr '20

Thank you flowerbud for all that you do. Teachers are unsung heroes!

I think our school and our teachers are doing a great job. This is not something anyone expected and they have really rallied. My daughter is struggling but that is due to her learning challenges, she has ADD (and an IEP). Her teachers have all reached out to her and to me by calling and video conferencing. I am beyonnd thankful for their support and extra effort.

Zoom has added some security features. I use it for our Confirmation class and had trouble at first, but now it's fine. As long as there's a password-protected meeting and a waiting room (to control who enters the Zoom call), it's fine.

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Apr '20

No one expected this.we are all trying to deal with this the best way we can.The school system is trying to navigate through all this. There was no plan that was set up for what we are dealing with.My son has been doing all classes online ,seems to be running smoothly. He is consistent with time and requirements. Honestly he enjoys online. ..Gets him away from me. ..LOL Give it a chance,it's preparing them for what's ahead.As far as people complaining about what you're tax dollars pay for. Welcome to future learning.

Chillbill Chillbill
Apr '20

Might include going back to school August 1st to make sure concepts from this school year are reinforced. The USA is dead middle in education across the globe, time to look elsewhere, perhaps Norway for ideas...

I'm going to just back flowerbud up, as well.

Another tired teacher here! I teach first grade and it's more challenging than ever. To anyone who thinks teachers are "on vacation," you can speak to my husband who tells me each night when I'm laying in bed with my laptop that I need to "disconnect" for the night. Did I mention I also have a very active 2 year old boy who I am now the primary caregiver for WHILE trying to plan my lessons, update my Google classroom, video chat with my kids, find new online resources that may support their learning, answer emails, and be available at all hours for the parents?

Before school closed, knowing things were getting worse, my Co teacher and I worked tirelessly to put together packets of work (knowing that not everyone had tablets/laptops/internet access at home) along with all of their login information to help parents log their kids in.

We've called parents that we haven't been in touch with during this time to check in, we've held a parent information night via zoom to walk the parents through logging into every online resource they'll need, every lesson we've given... We've given an online option as well as a paper/pencil option... I could keep going, honestly. It hasn't ended. Now I'm on spring break and I'm creating videos to help parents with online resources.

We were told we should be giving about two hours of work a day. We've also been extremely understanding with the parents. We don't know what they're going through... I don't know if they've lost a family member to this terrible virus or if their pay has been cut or if they've lost their job. I encourage parents to try and have their kids do most of the work assigned each day but that I understand life is crazy right now and to hurt do what they can. Everyone is in the same boat here and that's what I keep reminding my parents... That this is unknown territory for teachers and parents and that we are here for the parents every step of the way.

PLEASE don't bash teachers. I promise... MOST of us are working our butts off. During this terrible time... No one should be judging anyone. Rant over! Everyone stay healthy and safe!

My kids teachers are working hard as well. This is difficult for everyone right now, teachers, students and parents. This is a whole new world we are navigating and we should all be working together as a team and supporting each other as none of this is easy. Please be kind to each other, it’s the best we can do during these trying times. And my favorite line from Jaws... We’re gonna need a bigger boat!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Apr '20

The neighbor's kid is 10 years old and he's a good, polite, responsible little boy.

However, he spends the CLEAR majority of his day outside playing, not inside studying or "attending" some kind of online teaching program. Even my husband asked me if the schools here were doing what the rest of the country is doing and teaching the kids online.

If they are, then it's for a very minimal amount of time. Just sayin'.

Cathy Cathy
Apr '20

You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. The neighbor kid might not be taking advantage of the online opportunities, just like he might not do his homework when regular school is in session. How would you know?

observer2 observer2
Apr '20

Another teacher here... this is by FAR the hardest my job has ever been. I am also on “spring break” right now, but have been spending every day working to get instructional videos, materials, and lessons together for the coming weeks. What people need to keep in mind is we have very little control over what students are actually doing at home. We were told to provide at least two hours of work per day. I am choosing to provide more, as well as additional options for students who want to do extra; however, I spend most of my evenings reaching out to families to track down missing work students have not completed (despite my “work day” ending in the afternoon). All we can do is provide the assignments and reach out with offers to help, but we cannot control whether or not that work is completed or the offers are taken. We cannot force students to attend our Zoom or Google Meet “classes.” Every family situation is different, so we were also told we need to be flexible, which I completely agree with. I am bending over backwards to be supportive to my families. I assure you the instruction is 100% provided, in excess. We are working ten times harder than ever before, with the emotional stress of missing our students terribly and worrying about how this will affect their progress... that doesn’t mean we can control family situations or what is done at home.

afellowteacher afellowteacher
Apr '20

As a former teacher, and grandparent to children in the middle and high school, I would like to commend the teachers, administration and support staff of the Hackettstown School district for their new policies. I personally see how much learning is taking place, and how much effort our teachers have put into reaching their students. Trust your professionals! They love your kids, they are doing the best they can for them, and they are working hard to ensure that the educational process continues. Decisions that have been made about curriculum have been discussed, researched, and extremely well thought through. All aspects of the children's educational, physical, and emotional needs are being addressed. We should be proud of the employees of the Hackettstown School district and their commitment to provide for your children. Their leadership is a beacon of light in these dark times. When administrators and staff look to creative ways to solve problems, our district always comes out on top.

Htowngram Htowngram
Apr '20

Cathy... My neighbors are also outside playing for a good part of the day too. But I never question if the teacher is providing work. Because as a teacher, I know how much effort I am putting forth but there are still students that I haven't seen one bit of work from. I have called the parents to gently check in on them and see how they are. They say that their kids are working but I'm not seeing it. Short of going to their house and making them do the work, what else can I do as the teacher? You can't blame teachers for that.

The world is in a crisis right now and we need to be very thankful we live here, among THIS community. Schools are in complete upheaval and I see everyday how the teachers and administration in Hackettstown are not only acknowledging how challenging this is for families, but leading the way to helping us all heal. Mr. Sosnovik’s message last week was not only thorough but gave us peace of mind, they have a plan. Is it what our children are used to? No. But look at the world? Nothing is normal right now. This is not a time to bash, especially our educators. I am sure teachers and administrators have never worked harder. Thank you, Hackettstown School District, you guys are knocking out of the park!
I also hope that when our children return to the classroom we take a moment and thank our lucky stars for those who choose to teach. There truly has never been a time in history that could change how we value teachers and education like now.

Happy parent Happy parent
Apr '20

I want to back Anom... I can’t even count the number of times I have reached out to families to say that work is missing and offer support for completing it, only to be told it is being done, despite being able to see otherwise when I look at the assignments online. All we can do is take their word for it that the students are working and hope for the best. A phone call, email, or offer to video chat can only go so far when we are not the ones home with them. This is not to bash the parents in any way! Most have been wonderful and supportive, and we trust that every family is doing what they can, which might look different in every household. But, that being said, we cannot possibly have the same control over the work that is being done when we are not in the classroom with the students.

afellowteacher afellowteacher
Apr '20

And then this happened. Whoopsie! Be careful with Zoom.

https://www.nj.com/burlington/2020/04/nj-school-district-temporarily-halting-use-of-zoom-after-hacker-broadcasts-porn-racist-language.html

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.