Current work status?

I’m curious how those in our area are being affected by this craziness. For those of you that normally work outside the home, what is your current status? Are you still reporting to work? Teleworking? Laid off?

I’ve been teleworking since Tuesday and will be for the foreseeable future. My employer is still open, but Is strongly encouraging every to work from home. I’m very fortunate to have that flexibility.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Mar '20

So far luckily nothing has changed for me, besides the fact I have to be extremely careful and where proper PPE while entering anyone's house for work. My main worry is to bring something home to my family of 5.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Mar '20

I work for a school district as an IT support person. We are supporting the teacher’s remotely with online computer support. I can do that from home.

Of course- if the issue is hardware related, we make an appt to meet at the school and take all precautions when interacting.

Fortunately this keeps me employed and mainly at home.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Mar '20

I am still reporting to work I actually could perform my managerial duties from home where I review and audit my staff's work. Unfortunately, they have to be there physically to handle product and perform their duties. I personally can not expect them to come and I choose to stay home. I wouldn't ask them to do it if I was to afraid to do it.

Jimt1058
Mar '20

I work in fine dining, and therefore have been out of work since Monday. I have a job to return to when this is over, IF my boss can hold out long enough. It’s a little scary to think of.

Eperot Eperot
Mar '20

I'm working. I'm with you Jimt1058. I work in manufacturing, so I can't really run a plant from home.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '20

I've been working from since 3/13. My staff also all WFH.

I've been wondering now if this will become the new norm and will I ever go back to the office.

Walleyed Walleyed
Mar '20

My company "strongly suggested" WFH last week, and has mandated it as of yesterday for the "office worker" types.

I'm really feeling for the hospitality folks. I had plans to take the wife out yesterday, partially just to support a restaurant, but then the governor closed them all down (it was a long standing plan). Hope folks can hold it together.

All Non-Essential Workers at my agency are working from home, indefinitely, as of Monday, but have the option to come in if they feel safe to do so.

People who do have to come in have modified hours to insure people don't commute during peak hours. Our office buildings are still open, if you need to go in for an hour or two to print, copy, etc.... At the very least, it has pushed my unit to try and go all electronic with our work, which is having some push back from some older staff who like to print every bit of paper rather than utilize their computing power.

Overall there's been a little bit of a slowdown, but mostly the agency is trucking along.

HurricaneF HurricaneF
Mar '20

I'm in IT and work for the State in Trenton. I've been working from home since Tuesday and will continue for the foreseeable future.

One good thing...My commute went from 1.5 hours each way to about 5 seconds.

HokieFan HokieFan
Mar '20

I provide hosting/teching for meetings on many on-line platforms...Zoom, Adobe Connect and others and also go on location with my videography equipment to live stream so I am keeping busy. Hope all stay safe and be careful.

The Hipster The Hipster
Mar '20

Out of work started the beginning of this week by choice.

No income which sucks, but I wouldn't want to bring the sickness home with me.

I'm really really hoping this blows over quickly.

Working from home until further notice.... thank God!

Hannah Hannah
Mar '20

working at a hospital

rleaf rleaf
Mar '20

Thank you rleaf and all Health Care, Supermarket, Sanitation, Utility, IT and Delivery workers, for what you do! We would all be lost at this time without you.

My daughter and son are both health care workers. My son works in an elder care facility. They are both having their temperature taken each day when they arrive at work.

I am both proud and concerned for them. Very conscious not to bring anything home myself that they could catch, so I am working from home.

hktownie hktownie
Mar '20

My law firm went fully remote on Tuesday, though I went in to scan some stuff and do a conference call that day since I worked from home on Monday. The firm has 2-3 support staff in per day on a rotating schedule to maintain the business, ie. scanning, mailing, etc. Courts are closed and new jury trials have been suspended. Arbitrations and other appearances are set to be conducted remotely starting in April. Otherwise it's business as usual the best we can. It's certainly not easy working like this with everyone home, including two pent up children

My husband's school has been closed since Tuesday. He has to monitor and guide his students on a regular schedule remotely and is still conducting IEP meetings, etc.

My brother is/was a bartender at a restaurant in Queens that had to close. The owner is likely going to sell the business, so he will be out of a job. He's an actor too, so if anyone needs a distraction tonight, 3/20, tune in to 20/20 on ABC. He's the serial killer.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '20

Working from home, and grateful to those who are part of the chain of humanity meeting our critical medical, food, clothing, water, power and community safety needs!

maja2 maja2
Mar '20

Working from home for a company in San Francisco (and was before the virus). Not sure how the economy will impact them / my employment long term. Day at a time.

Justin Justin
Mar '20

Our office is open but we have the option to work from home or go in. I’m working from home.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '20

I have a feeling this will be my last day at the office... I suspect Murphy is going to put NJ on lockdown like Wolf did to our PA offices yesterday.

I'm all set up to work from home, though. I can even take my work desk phone home so clients can call me just like I was at my desk.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '20

I'm still working in my office in Somerset County and it doesn't look like that will change any time soon. I had already taken time off the next two weeks so I'm at home as much as possible but not due to anything my work did.

honesty honesty
Mar '20

Ianimal, we have another switchboard phone that our receptionist took home and is fielding calls through our cellphones. We use an app on the phone called Mitel. It’s certainly proving that our office can run remotely without too much trouble.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '20

Hi so NY just ordered the closing of non-essential businesses, as so did PA. I'm sure NJ is next. I'm wondering if M&M Mars considered essential. anybody?

fulanita fulanita
Mar '20

I think NJ will be locked down on Monday as well.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '20

Completely out of work.

Sandy Tomlinson Sandy Tomlinson
Mar '20

If the "Peeps" factory is staying open, I would think Hershey and Mars will, too.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '20

Son, and Granddaugter are out of jobs for now as they worked in the restaurant/bar business...Daughter worked for Macy's out of a job as well. Hubby and I are retired but have compromised immune systems and elderly so are definitely housebound for the duration. We have our Social Security each month to pay our bills and good friends and family that will help us with the errands and shopping. Feel really bad for those that have no income right now and no savings to fall back on.

joyful joyful
Mar '20

Murphy expected to shut down non-essential businesses tomorrow...

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/nonessential-businesses-will-be-shut-down-in-nj-due-to-coronavirus-outbreak-gov-murphy-says.html

ianimal ianimal
Mar '20

The business I work at is a part of the supply chain for pharmaceutical, food, education & research facilities, so it's unlikely we'll be shutting down, though there may be some that can work from home. We're all just trying to keep our space from each other when we need to interact.

While I don't have anyone at home to give it to or get it from, it's iffy as to whether or not I should visit my parents in Parsippany. I do check in with them every day though to make sure they're doing ok. I'm more worried for them since they're both over 85...

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '20

NOOOOO!!!!

We have already paid many thousands to a fence company and the materials are here.

They are supposed to install it next week. Ugh.

I get staying away from people- but literally something like putting a fence in is outside and the installer even if he has a helper can stay apart from each other.

Bummer. Since I am stuck in the house I was looking forward to taking the dog out and letting her run, throwing a ball, etc.

Me- Work closed 3/13. Hubby still working coming home tomorrow , will return to work Tuesday. Thankful for that.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '20

I’m fortunate to work out of my home office normally. It’s been like this for the past 10 years. The only difference is now my wife and kids are at the “office” with me all day. I have to remind them that dad is at work and to keep it down to a dull roar, but I honestly like having them here and knowing everyone is safe.

We went to doctors/riverfront park earlier and were greeted with a “park closed” sign. Really? I get that they don’t want people huddled together but I really loathe not being able to decide for myself what is and what isn’t worth taking a risk for. I know what 6 feet is. I ca n certainly stay that far away from people while enjoying the park.

Consigliere
Mar '20

I was laid off on Tuesday with the promise of being hired back when this all settles. I working in Sales and Marketing in the Health Industry in Bergen County.

BIgheART BIgheART
Mar '20

@consigliere you may know what's proper to do in this situation. Many still do not grasp what's going on. Its not the end of the world any many won't even get sick. But that one that does get infected and does show symptoms, and still goes out, is what is keeping this alive. Their child might have it and played on that play ground. It can live a long time on plastics. I see a great mix of people out there those who are over prepping, and those who think this is a big nothing. Unfortunately, the big nothing is going to outweigh the over reacting and people who just want the middle ground.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Mar '20

Blghe, I am very sorry to hear that. I too am in sales and fully understand how stressful the job can be WITHOUT this external situation messing with my money. I wish you the best and God bless.

Things will return to normal the second the media stops their scare tactics and breaks it down the way Yesimpc just did. People need to listen to doctors, scientists and the CDC. All of the other sensationalism should be blocked out.

Consigliere
Mar '20

No work in the dental field, however I’ve no choice to bring in an income. Sent my resume out to many nursing homes. They will never shut down. You do what you have to do in times like this.

I’m not depending on our state nor our government to keep a roof over my head

positive positive
Mar '20

I don’t consider medical billing essential right now but know a few compromised people ordered to report to the office. Ridiculous

Inthegarden Inthegarden
Mar '20

That’s a great attitude, Positive. This country would be an even greater place if more people thought like you.

Consigliere
Mar '20

"I don’t consider medical billing essential right now but"

Well- if medical facilities are still open- they still need to bill, no?

Josh I’ve been billed months after a visit. I think to wait a week or so won’t hurt as much as taking chances

Inthegarden Inthegarden
Mar '20

I really have an issue with either compromised people willingly going in or employers knowingly calling them in. Which office?

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Mar '20

"Well - if medical facilities are still open - they still need to bill, no?"

No, a bill can be postponed.

happiest girl
Mar '20

I work in manufacturing and my wife works in logistics, so thankfully we haven't been affected other than I am working from home. Actually not a bad thing. Saving money on gas.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '20

Strangerdanger It is employees with Autoimmune issues themselves or family (children)that are threatened with termination if said doesn’t report for computer /phone duty in office 3/23 just awful. It’s medical billing I can’t say the office just now. Oh I will

Inthegarden Inthegarden
Mar '20

I work for a textile company in PA which is being exempted from the work stoppage because some of our products are used for medical purposes. The company in general, and my job in particular, is not really set up for WFH, but as soon as I heard the Stay At Home order yesterday, I texted my boss and drove to work to retrieve my computer. Setting up my work station right now. Just stopped for a coffee break. IT will connect me and my coworker (2 people do my job) to the servers tomorrow, and we’ll see how it goes from there. Owner emailed me this morning thanking me for being proactive, so it seems like we’re all committed to making this work....

Monty Monty
Mar '20

Been working from home the past week plus. I'm an office worker and in management so all I do anyway is phonecalls, spreadsheets, and pushing emails so thankfully an easy transition for me!

somechick1 somechick1
Mar '20

""Well - if medical facilities are still open - they still need to bill, no?"

No, a bill can be postponed"

No money coming in = no money going out. is it ok to "postpone" payroll as well?

ianimal ianimal
Mar '20

Well said, ianimal. Most people don't think of things that way.

Here's our current household situation. I work for a private school. Currently we are on our originally scheduled spring break. We were supposed to return on 3/30. That has now been changed to 4/13. I am a salaried employee and will not lose any pay and will be working from home.

My husband works for the Warren County road dept. They have now gone to a schedule of 2 men on only 2 days a week. He is an hourly employee, but the County has decided that they will be paid for the time off. He also tends bar on Friday nights, so that money is lost. No big deal.

We appreciate how fortunate we are and feel for those who will struggle with this situation.

Thank goodness the liquor stores were deemed essential businesses. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '20

Can he get a section of old guard rail? :P

I've thought about putting a piece on one wall of my garage as a decoration.

Thank goodness the liquor stores were deemed essential businesses. ;-)

Calico696Calico696

I agree. Unfortunately with my line of work I can’t work from home. I was just recently laid off from a dental practice because they are shutting down. I called my previous job, a nursing home. Told them I’m looking for work. Looks promising, they will call me tomorrow.

positive positive
Mar '20

Agree with the liquor situation. I’m so happy for all that are able to make this work. We will all be better peeps coming out of this ❤️

Inthegarden Inthegarden
Mar '20

I have underlying medical conditions and am being told I have to come in. I work in a warehouse and the company doesn't care. What makes it worse is the careless attitudes of some of my co-workers that the media is blowing this out of proportion.

Anxious Anxious
Mar '20

positive - I hope it works out. Fingers crossed. Additionally, I just remembered you are a champagne lover. I received a really good bottle as a Christmas gift, but don't care for champagne at all. PM me if you would like it. Would love for someone to enjoy it.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '20

Calico I sent you a PM

positive positive
Mar '20

This is a very high stressful and panic driven situation . Despite all of that, if interested
I would suggest to apply at nursing homes and hospitals, You would be bringing in income and helping humanity

positive positive
Mar '20

https://jobs.covid19.nj.gov/

New Jersey launched a website for people to find in-demand jobs at essential businesses during the pandemic.

skippy skippy
Mar '20

6th grade teacher currently doing online schooling through April 20 (for now.)

Njchia Njchia
Mar '20

Working two jobs remotely. Spouse is considered essential (manufacturing) and has to go in and coworkers are not properly social distancing. It's scary and frustrating.

Another family member was laid off to protect the health of their immunocompromised spouse even though their place of work is somehow considered essential (that's a real stretch and I'll leave it at that).

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Mar '20

We were distributed "essential personnel" letters today as a precaution in case the State goes to DefCon 4 or whatever level South Carolina (or NC) may be on (unless his was just as a precaution too). My Sister and her family live in SC and her husband's FedEx job is in NC so he was given a letter in case he's stopped to prove to the authorities that he's "essential personnel" in one (or perhaps both) of those 2 states.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '20

My company is bending over backwards to keep us all employed and to put anyone out to Telework if they can. I’m very appreciative and working harder than ever. I have a family member who works for a manufacturer on the south end of town. They could easily telework but the company won’t let anyone do because it’s not fair to the plant workers who can’t. Its very sad that they are not doing the right thing for their employees and our community.

Work as a Consultant. Ready and able to work but all clients projects put on hold.

Better Half works in the Schools. Out of work since last Monday.

Current Household income: $0.00. Unemployment compensation: less than $200/wk.

Stopped paying most bills until this blows over. No other choice.

Buck Hillstar
Mar '20

At least you get something. I get nada...zip, zero. Blows.

Res2

I don't think your family member works for the company I do. I've noticed more vehicles missing from our parking lot lately. I would think that plant workers wouldn't be upset that those who can telecommute are asked to do so. As a "plant" worker, I would miss my co-workers, but also be VERY glad that there were less of us in the shared space and coming in contact with each other throughout the day. It lessens the chances of coming in contact with someone who has it that way.

I think for the most part, only plant workers and those who directly support them should stay, which in my company's case is most of the company, but every little bit helps to reduce the odds for all. But then, that's just my opinion, those choices lie (lay?) in those at the top of your family member's company. Plant workers that don't understand that it's safer for all involved that some telecommute should rethink their own priorities and realize that it works out better for them too. The consequences of one person at a job having it and spreading it to others could have far-reaching results, including the closing of a business, temporarily at the very least. It could also do major harm to some of their fellow workers and members of their families!

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '20

It's sad that so many have so little saved that they cannot survive for a few months..

And what is being done for the homeless ??

steven steven
Mar '20

"It's sad that so many have so little saved that they cannot survive for a few months.."

I agree that it's sad. But remember that there are many different reasons that people live paycheck to paycheck. Some of them by bad choices or by living way over their means, others because they just can't catch a break. I have friends that lost everything in divorces and pay so much alimony and child support they can only break even. Very sad.

Be thankful that you have savings to rely on. I have more than enough due to many years of planning and living way below my means and I am very thankful for it and am looking forward to retiring early.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '20

Good For you Calico,
Many are wishing to be in that spot.

steven steven
Mar '20

I agree with you Phil D. You are very wise in your view that any move to minimize risk helps. Everyone should be willing to sacrifice now for the greater good. This company does seem to be willing to put Safety first which should be true all the time, not just now. They are probably not listening to the concerns of their employees either.

On the flip side, I am so appreciative of everyone who needs to be on site and the challenges we face to do that safely. I just want to look back at this someday and say that we did the best we could for everyone.

I was honestly about to buy a car beginning of February, had the purchase order in hand on way to bank for my own financing, then she she suddenly told me no car right now. Believe me I was not happy about that change of mindset. Have to admit wifey saved our ass. Because I have a blanket for this crisis that I otherwise would have been screwed. She obviously can't find a job now, we just had our 3rd baby, and now were officially safe for awhile.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Mar '20

I work in technology for a large financial services firm in NYC. I have been working from home since March 6th. Our entire company is WFH globally, over 15,000 people. So far so good. Have Zoom for video conferences has been great. Everyone is pulling together to keep the firm running and help our clients. The silver lining is I save about 4 hours a day not commuting to NYC. My commute is now about 30 seconds, or 5 minutes if I stop in the kitchen for coffee.

ITdudeinNJ ITdudeinNJ
Mar '20

OMG 4 hour a day commute.... I'd jump off the GWB with a commute like that... LOL...

Metsman Metsman
Mar '20

I work in an NYC hospital and it is getting very scary... please please everyone stay at home. We still have a way to go before we hit the apex and it really threatens to be overwhelming. Please stay home.

rleaf rleaf
Mar '20

I have to go into work starting this Friday ( on rotation )...not happy about it..

steven steven
Mar '20

rleaf, thank you for what you are doing! Stay safe!

maja2 maja2
Mar '20

My current work situation is homeschooling my kids, which is not fantastic. My husband will be home in a few weeks from his year long deployment. Quite honestly, moving into my chicken coop seems like a great idea!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Mar '20

Good for you jesse for saying" my job is homeschooling my kids". I know many parents may be finding this very challenging, but remember this situation will pass and it is important that your kids can do their best with you as their guide. Also, thank you for your families service to this nation!!

sportsfan sportsfan
Mar '20

rleaf, agree with maja2, thank you & stay well!!

luvlife
Mar '20

rleaf -- you are an American hero, deserve Presidential Medal of Honor for sure, IMO. Plus --- as soon as I read your post, I thought ---- 10 out of 12 NYC hospitals are on the East Side. Did you at least get lucky to get Presbyterian by the GWB?

Steven: if you start googling things like "being forced back to work NJ coronavirus" pretty sure you won't find a loophole, but you might at least know your rights and when to pull the trigger --- especially if someone falls ill. Generally, being called to work and not going is like saying you think you could be rear-ended on the Route 80 commute, so not safe to come to work, which is probably not sufficient to close the place down.

That said: ANYONE in NJ who can work from home has the RIGHT to do so, according to our emergency Statewide provisions.

1. Murphy's law does apply: so, as the Gov says: “It is an order,” he added. “No one, and I mean no one, who can do their job from home should be going to the office.” There is a complaint system folks, and here's a link: https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/is-your-nj-employer-making-you-come-to-the-office-when-you-can-work-from-home-heres-how-to-report-them.html

2. Second, NJ's family leave act says ANYONE with a sick family member can take 6 weeks of paid (2/3rd's rate of pay) leave to care for family. Here's a link: https://nj1015.com/need-to-miss-work-because-of-coronavirus-your-rights-in-nj/

There's probably other "hotlines" out there to check whether your employer can start up again; chances are they are playing by the rules though.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '20

I just wanted to thank people who are working so hard so that we can all function, staying at home, working from home, getting medication, healthcare, groceries, packages, and truckers. I thank God for them every day. So many people who do so much. We see you. We appreciate you.

DogDayAfternoon
Mar '20

Re: Current work status?

My daughter is a nurse at Hackensack Medical Center. Going into work the next two nights. Shes on the front lines and is my hero. Praying for everyone on the front lines. Please wash your hands.

thehazguy thehazguy
Mar '20

Much respect and positive thoughts for your daughter. These are the real people I hope our society will look at with more respect than ever once this nightmare is over. May she be looked over by any support from above as she helps those with this illness.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Mar '20

60 minute segment on health professionals in NY vs Covid19 just brought me to tears.
Incredible dedication.
Incredible.
There are many heros among us.

Stymie Stymie
Mar '20

These are the historic challenging times that reveal character, that forge character. We can all pitch in and be hero's. Staying in, social distancing, making masks, charitable contributions, all heroic. The greatest generation started with one act at a time.

Rutgers medical students take early graduation to be able to support on the front lines. God bless and God speed.

70 State Police have contracted C19 protecting us by interfacing with us. God bless and speedy recovery.

Fedex and UPS coming to our doors every day keeping the pipeline flowing. God bless and safe journey.

Mar '20

Looks like there is confusion around the number of state stoppers that tested positive. I saw earlier 700. Now the say 163. Never the less no small number.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Mar '20

State worker still going in each day.

Bethbug Bethbug
Mar '20

"Looks like there is confusion around the number of state stoppers that tested positive. I saw earlier 700. Now the say 163. Never the less no small number."

Confusion or hyping? MSM = enemy of the people.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '20

It was 70, now 163, 700 was either in error or the number, now much larger, in quarantine fir exposure, but not ill yet. Yes, a lot. A dangerous job, much more dangerous now.

Mar '20

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/700-nj-police-officers-have-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-state-police-leader-says.html

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/state-police-overstated-the-number-of-nj-cops-whove-tested-positive-for-coronavirus.html

It was stated by the acting superintendent of the State Police at the Saturday press conference.

Greentina Greentina
Mar '20

I am 57, have COPD/Emphasyma, and am considered "essential" as I'm a secretary for a construction firm. I don't see much happening at work at the moment. Am I crazy for being in the office?

There is zero way I would be at any office if I were you.

Tell your boss you will be working from home immediately.

He can't legally force you to come into the office. He can't punish you in any way.

If he tries- tell him you can't make a living if you aren't living. Then walk out.

Go home, pour a stiff drink- and report him.

:)

While I agree with Josh, can be a dicey decision unless you can afford to quit.

But, according to the rules: IF.....you can perform your job from home, see link above IF you have to lodge a complaint. If you can do the job from home, you can just quote the gov:

“It is an order,” he added. “No one, and I mean no one, who can do their job from home should be going to the office.” If that's your case, I would hope your boss would see that you must report him if he continues to force you to be in an unsafe situation when you don't have to be.

IF you can't perform your work from home; that's where it gets dicey since C-19 danger is similar to the danger of a car accident coming to work ---- it's there but you still go. Personally, there should be zero interaction with others; there should be zero others in your "virtual space," six feet or better doesn't cut it for me; I mean no one in your room. And one cough anywhere you can hear and you should bolt while holding your breadth.

Same with boss providing disinfectant wipes and any other safety measures. I mean if you have to walk a good distance to a shared facility just to wash hands, that's not a good situation for you. Just like hardhats now --- mandatory safety for office workers has changed.

Good luck.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '20

No Josh, they're not making me. I did have something important to do but it was postponed, so off I go. Thanks for your support!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.