Venting 2020

So many birds of prey - especially eagles - are being brought to rehabbers because of high levels of lead in their blood. Many are dying from it. They eat remains of hunted animals and ingest the lead. If you hunt and you are still using lead bullets, please watch this video- It is just a preview of the full movie: https://vimeo.com/317878878

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '20

Excuse my ignorance, but as a person who does not hunt, why are there remains of animals lying in the woods that have been shot by hunters? Isn’t the idea to take what you have killed out of the woods with you in order to process them?

Eperot Eperot
Feb '20

What about the varmints that get poisoned by bait stations? That could also be a cause for the increase, no?

Englishe30 Englishe30
Feb '20

...in most situations, most hunters will “field dress” the animal. This usually involves cutting open the animal and removing the entrails to prepare the meat for butchering.

The entrails are left behind and eaten by the critters living in the area.

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '20

Eperot there are a lot of idiots who don't wait for a clean shot and hit the animal where they linger for awhile then die.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '20

Wow, didn’t know that. Apparently has finished off 76 Condors in recent years so CA passed a law.

You would think given the large decline in hunting that the remainders would be the smart ones. You know, guys who realize eating lead is very, very bad. Guess not given the wide distribution of info on lead’s lethality and the readily available bullet material alternatives. 30 states have lead restrictions on hunting.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Feb '20

Hunting season with rifles is only 2 weeks or so. Must be another answer

Bug3
Feb '20

When someone advertises Nike soccer cleats...and they’re not Nike.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '20

&^%$#@ life......when a 43 year old woman dies after a 2 year fight breast cancer, leaving behind a 4 year old daughter.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '20

That moment of pure rage when small town politics and backroom handjobs screw you out of money. Play by the rules, no kickbacks, no favors, do a good job and not cut corners, NOPE, contract awarded to the guy who does 1/2 what the contract states and does a horrible job. But it looks good on paper to everyone because they were low bid by........$300 & parades his daughter on the company webpage to support them. If I bid the quality of work he does I'd be 4-5K under his bid. However, I'd be held to the gold standard and then would be in breach on contract.

I'm doing this all wrong.

younggen younggen
Feb '20

Younggen- you keep doing it the way you do whatever it is that you are doing it.

Just let everyone know how you do it from the start- whether in person, cover letter, etc.

If everyone held themselves and everyone else around them to a higher standard the world would be a much better place!!

I started my office life responding to RFPs for state and federal bids. Generally, unless you were unique in some way low cost that best fulfilled the bid wins. Best fulfilled was key in that often all items might not be met. While your personal standards should be met, often the wording of the bid provides you alternatives. In my case they was also a protest process where my particular expertise came in. I could tie them up in knots if needed. Sometimes I was only hired to do the protest.

If low cost is still the rule, unlike Josh, I would say if you’re not willing to change or it’s impossible to change, unless this other guy goes broke or fails miserably, why bid again. You are proven to lose.

Or change. The game is to fulfill the RFP. Better than your competition and at a slightly lower price. My mentor used to say, “who cares why you win, focus on why you lose, learn from it and make adjustments.”

Perhaps go East where your cost structure my give you advantage against higher cost local operations.

You may still lose but you probably won’t lose to the same guy for the same reason. We still lost some, probably most. But hardly ever for the same thing to the same guy....twice. Good luck; I know it sucks after all that hard work. Lots of paper usually. But if the game is really rigged as you might be feeling; that too should be part of your change if you want to win.

Feb '20

Without getting into too much, it was made evident to me they didn't want to change contractors from the previous year (yearly awarded contract). Last year the proposals were due in October and awarded in late Dec./Jan. I believe. This year due in Oct. but were awarded yesterday after a re-bid. I too deal with RFP's all the time from Port Authority, States, County agencies and private companies. I was low bid prior to the re-bid. The re-bid extended the number of visits to the site as well as added 3 additional sites. Everyone's numbers should have increased ~%20. Two other vendors came in about that number, I only added %8 in attempt to stay under previous years winner. His number didn't move. No increase for inflation, nothing for additional properties, nothing for additional visits. Now everyone will say great no increase but his work sucks and because these old timey council members don't care about how the quality of his work because they are friends with the owners somesuch parents/aunts/uncles or watched him grow up BS; sometimes gets the blood boiling. Then everyone wonders why the town looks like crap and taxes are so high.

Stranger, your advice only reaffirms my previous thinking (which all the voices in my head agreed with from the start). First try was to do it the right way and I took it in the shorts. Next year will be to "fulfill" the bid. I guarantee it will end poorly. And to those wondering why bother, if someone doesn't do something about it we all just keep getting walked on. Questioning or testing the status quo in an attempt to improve the
community shouldn't be frowned upon.

younggen younggen
Feb '20

Maybe I'm just being protective, but seems suspicious to have an ad from a guy in Famingdale NY looking for high school or college girls that know fashion in the classifieds. Sketchy to me.

DogDayAfternoon
Mar '20

Especially a "guy" named Arianna...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '20

DDA - I'm fairly certain Arianna is a woman's name and the phone number is probably a cell phone, meaning she doesn't necessarily live in Farmingdale, NY. My cell phone has a Morristown number and I live in Oxford. Most people don't change their cell numbers when they move.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '20

That girl posted in the Hackettstown facebook page as well looking for someone to help her sell some clothes, she is a real girl from Hackettstown. Not sure where it was gathered that it was a man posting the ad lol if you search the number on google another htown life forum comes up with Arianna posting her cell to assist with finding a lost pet

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/779764

Chill
Mar '20

OK just looking to vent here.
I just ordered some masks so that I can comply with the State Mandate to wear a mask while at the store or when near others. What really burns me is that I was charged SALES TAX. Here is something being mandated and we still get TAXED on it. They should be considered clothing and not taxed because they are essential.

Well, now I feel a little better.

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
May '20

What kind? Where' you get them, can you post on OPEN thread.

I want the disposable surgical ones and last I ordered, they accepted, waited five days to say: "ooops, all out....."

Everywhere I look online says reserved for medical staff.

And yes, that's my vent :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '20

4paws - you think for a minute that the State was going to miss an opportunity to collect sales tax income? I completely agree with your thought, but there was no way this administration (or any other for that matter) would turn down the opportunity to tax something. Remember, these are the same people that allowed marijuana to be the only taxed prescription in the State, and deemed liquor stores to be essential services.

jnnjr jnnjr
May '20

During last 2 month all my 4 orders from Joann Fabric got cancelled, each after being "processed" for 11-14 days: 2 orders with shipping to my home, 2 orders - store pickups. If warehouse and store have nothing in stock, why I am getting promotional and discounts emails every day? I even received a few "please review the item you have purchased" requests, the items they never shipped.

SD, I ordered washable cloth masks, nothing fancy, to replace my dwindling disposable "paper" masks. I am getting them, I hope, from NorthernTool.com They say they should ship in about 8 days.

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
May '20

Re: Venting 2020

At Alumni this afternoon on the hatchery part: Some people seem to think they are entitled to pick plants on State land and just bring it home. This woman actually was pulling plants out from the ponds root and all. I hope someone knows who they are and explain to them that this is not their private garden center.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
May '20

Yes, some people are going loco...

Just one thought Walking Girl - were they possibly harvesting an invasive plant like Garlic Mustard, Purple Loosestrife, or Ailanthus? Its usually best to dispose of those root systems intact in garbage bags so they don't proliferate elsewhere, so that could look like someone taking plants home for their yard for sure.
But I wouldn't doubt people just taking stuff, this situation has seemed to bring out some very poor behavior and vandalism on public lands.

kepa
May '20

kepa ~ that would be nice if that's what they were doing but A. They don't work for the State and B. I pretty sure they just wanted to take it home.

May '20

Ah true- the state doesnt have any money to harvest invasives though, much of that is done by infomed volunteers, landowners, and local groups such as Restorenativeplants.org or groups like Riverkeepers etc.
Probably wishful thinking though, cant quite see in the pic what they're removing. I'd be happy to engage with anyone I saw doing that if it wasnt clearly Garlic Mustard or something they were taking.

kepa
May '20

So sick of the Karens in this world. Sigh...

Calico696 Calico696
May '20

Strangerdanger...The home shopping networks are selling disposable masks. QVC and ShopTV are two that I saw just today. ShopTV also has all types of hand sanitizers, face shields and UV sanitizing items. I think they are expensive, but people are buying.

USAfirst USAfirst
May '20

Strangerdanger...Just saw disposable masks on sale on HSN. Options of 50 or 100 count.

USAfirst USAfirst
May '20

I agree. Either you have to deal with those Karen's, or those Lisa's that have 10 guns and want to shoot you and your dog if it pees on their lawn. The same type that would shoot you for taking a flower from their yard, but have no problem with someone stealing them from a state park.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
May '20

Thanks folks, I guess I will be trying to order from a company I have never heard from per your inputs. Never thought I would be buying my surgical mask from NorthernTool; aint' Amerika grand. Can't even get masks from our medical supply chains. Plain ole paper masks.... Yet Ford thinks I want to buy a truck.....

May '20

Panther Pharmacy had boxes of 50 masks for $40.............just a little more than the 50 I finally got - ordered thru Amazon - that took a month to get here.........

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

Shop Rite in Mansfield has disposable surgical face masks. Had a large bin near the resgisters.

outsider outsider
May '20

I've seen the masks in many stores in town including Quick Check, Shoprite, and Wawa.

Rob Durana Rob Durana
May '20

Quick Chek on Mountain have had a whole display case of masks last week. Had adult sizes and kids sizes. Not sure how long their supply lasted or it they kept getting them in stock. But they had a display case right when you walked in.

Jim L Jim L
May '20

SD~ I’ve been making fabric masks to donate to the local health care facilities. If you need any, I can drop some off.

Baci’s mom Baci’s mom
May '20

Thank you Baci, but please use your worthy efforts to give them to those more in need. I am OK, thinking ahead, and, if needed, can "roll my own." Us ex-hippies have buckets of bandannas :>) Just waiting to see those American factories to come back in a big way. Maybe you ARE the plan on how we are bringing factories back :>) Thanks again, appreciated.

May '20

The masks at Shop Rite in Mansfield that are in a large bin near the self checkout are a pack of 10nfor $14.99. There were plenty of them around 11am today.

Make_it_stop Make_it_stop
May '20

Although the picture is blurry, the person at the top looks like they're carrying wild mustard. It's invasive, but not nearly as dangerous to local soil as garlic mustard or Japanese knotweed.

If I'm walking in a park and see an invasive like garlic mustard sometimes I pull it by the root, considering parks staff will probably never do this.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
May '20

Think it tis the season for many a outdoor delicacy from ramps to fiddleheads to dandelion greens. You never know.

May '20

Let me start off my vent by saying since I have been working at home due to the Covid-19 pandemic that I love listening to WRNJ as I work (Dave Kelber in the morning and Greta Latonia in the afternoon are great and seem to genuinely like what they do).

My vent is towards the end of every hour a song just started playing and is interrupted in mid-song for the ABC News update. Shouldn't the station just play an extra commercial before the news starts or have the DJ do some small talk leading up to the news? Several times this week a good song was playing and interrupted in the middle by news.

Mr. Worth get it together and fix that problem that occurs over and over each hour, leading up to the news!

reisident08
May '20

On 3 occasions I have had a person disrespect the 6-foot distance requirements that have been indicated on the floor of check-out lines. These arrogant people need to stop standing right behind the person in front of them. It happened to me again today.

happiest girl
Jun '20

Happiest ~ I have to admit I was in my own little world the other day at the grocery store, thinking about things going on in my life and completely spaced on the 6 foot requirements. I caught myself, backed up, apologized to the person in front of me, she laughed and said I've done it myself. Sometimes it isn't people being arrogant, we have just been so accustomed to doing things a certain way for so long that this new way of life slips our minds.

Perhaps a gentle reminder to the person behind is all it would take to correct the situation.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '20

When I go shopping to the grocery store I know that 6-foot distance requirements will not be followed - it's physically impossible to keep such distance when walking the isles (nobody follows "this way" arrows even if they are clearly marked) or pass thru the door. I do my best to keep the distance but how I can keep 6-foot from someone who is walking toward me in the isle that is 4-foot wide?

I was thinking the same thing while shopping yesterday. If one actually wanted to observe the 6 foot suggestion, and the aisle directional nonsense it would really be impossible to accomplish in a standard supermarket setting.

I simply imagine that I'm staging a protest, with the voices in my head, as it appears all of the social distancing recommendations do not apply at protests. LOL

100% correct Greg.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '20

Yes, I can see where it is impossible for you to maintain six feet and the other incredibly onerous demands placed on you to save your fellow citizens and reduce the burden of our essential medical workers who have been working 24x7 for months.

As we remember the sacrifices of my fathers generation on the anniversary of D day, as Arizona and other states begin to run out of hospital beds, we look to you for inspiration of what it means to be an American.

Go with God. Bless you.

Jun '20

A+ strangerdanger

The floors in those stores have prominent markers spaced 6 feet apart at the check out line.
Jrzy Girl - thank you for realizing your mistake and complying.

happiest girl
Jun '20

Not really a vent, but don't understand why the police and businesses would let someone who lives in another town have a protest in Hackettstown next weekend. Doesn't that leave us open to more cases of Covid and so on? Says she lives in Blairstown -- why have it here, then? Yes, I'm well aware of the nay sayers that will jump on every post ever and say it is no big deal and don't believe in masks. Just wondering since the woman's post said it was approved by police, Lowe's, and Wendy's.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '20

It's no big deal.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jun '20

When your own 83 year old mother doesn’t feel she will get covid and is not taking this seriously.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '20

She lived in Blairstown. Resides in Hackettstown now. What difference does that make? It's Warren County. SMH. Do better research, on all levels.

I support this march and if I can, will be there wearing my mask to protect myself and others.

The Hipster The Hipster
Jun '20

DogDayAfternoon

A march next weekend? Apparently they missed the one here on Saturday, as well as the one in Mt Olive in Turkey Brook Park today. If they want to have another one here, I don't see any problem as long as they do the proper social distancing, etc Or is it a "open NJ now", etc. protest which would be on a different subject from the other two? I don't want to assume what it's about and I don't see where anybody actually posted about the exact subject of the protest. I guess Hipster knows all about it, since they stated they support it and want to be there.

In any case, I don't know if a parade permit or something similar is necessary for a peaceful protest/march and/or gathering.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '20

Social distancing is an ugly word, probably meant to be. It should be physical distancing. It leads to pogroms. Who's PC now!

Guilt-free American Family since 1742

One-Eyed Poacher One-Eyed Poacher
Jun '20

Doesn't take him long. LOL

auntiel auntiel
Jun '20

I would like to vent about a thread about a local council decision getting locked because citizens of Hackettstown were asking a simple question and getting berated for not sitting in on a Zoom meeting to find out the answer.

Some of us are still working. Some of us work *gasp* in the evenings. That doesn’t mean that we don’t have a right to know what is going on in our town and it absolutely does not mean that we should be treated like deadbeats who can’t be bothered to keep up on local news.

I am used to people attacking each other on this forum but the tantrum in that thread was mind blowing.

Sorry in advance if this innocuous comment gets this one shut down too.

Kat, I saw the beginning of that thread yesterday, and I thought the responses were terrible also. A simple question with a simple answer didn't need to be such a big deal. And for what it's worth, just because a person doesn't live in Hackettstown, doesn't mean they have no right to know or ask.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '20

Agreed Tracy. Not a good look for our town, sadly.

I agree Kat and Tracy. I also believe the newest Town Council member is Janis Meichsher. I looked on the town website (Hackettstown.net) and in the list of Council members, she's the only one that doesn't have an automated link to her email, nor do I recognize her name.

I agree the town could do a better job of getting this type of information out, people do care!

TownFriend
Jun '20

I just read that thread. And that was so immature of a certain person to have responded in such a way to a simple question. That particular demeanor won’t get somebody elected. At least they certainly will never get my vote. Very unfriendly.

Jun '20

well, I guess you guys are talking about me. don't worry I'm not looking for votes from anyone on this site. But I will apologize I took offense to the OP of that thread dig at the Mayor and I reacted.

and don't worry Walking Girl, when I decide to run again I'll get elected just fine....as long as I turn my paperwork in correctly :)

Jim L Jim L
Jun '20

You literally stated you don’t want our votes because you’re mad that we wanted to know who the new council person is?? What the heck, Jim L? You used to be a voice of reason on this page and now you’re coming off as nasty as the rest of them. I’m sorry that you feel that way but I’m glad you expressed it because we do not need elected officials who think they’re better than the rest of us.

I'm sorry Kat, i'm tired of a few trolls on this website and it has made me bitter. If you see the posts that the Mods have to remove that just flat out attack me maybe you'd get it.

I didn't see your post on the other thread until it got shut down.

To answer your question because i didn't get a chance to:
the 3 names were Brian Willis, Janis Meischner and Kelly Shea. Janis was voted in.

Jim L Jim L
Jun '20

“whisper words of wisdom, let it be.” :-)

Jun '20

Appreciate the response Jim - take care

Here is my vent. Can’t people follow the arrows at field of dreams track. How hard is it.

PaulyWalnutz PaulyWalnutz
Jun '20

Did you notice the signs at field of dreams?... no need to follow arrows anymore...its blacked out now

Bug3
Jun '20

Sorry did not notice. I take back my rant.

PaulyWalnutz PaulyWalnutz
Jun '20

Cover your nose! Don't wear a mask and then have your nose uncovered!

Think my head is exploding. We received an econ stim card several weeks ago. Got it registered - read instructions - found atms locally to get cash without a fee....
and --- tah tah none of the 5 I visited today accepted the card. Could I call someone and speak to a person about it - uh no.
I finally was able to transfer the amount to my bank account - something I hadn't tried initially because the card -tho in both of our names - had the wrong last name - I never changed mine when we married - so I was afraid I'd bleep things up - The apparent good news is that the full transfer went through.
You might think the list of eligible atms for the card would be accurate, wouldn't you?

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '20

US is over 4% of world’s population, over 25% of C19 cases.

EU has 30% higher population than US, US has 4 times the number of new daily C19 vases.

Only tools are distancing, masks, hand washing, test, trace, and track. Masks pulled down under nose are not masking.

Why are we doing so poorly? Warren County doing well, but we had 5 cases today, it’s not over until a vaccine. Herd immunity levels are well over ten times today’s pain — not worth it.

Vent out, peace out.

Jun '20

Interesting. I've seen two Facebook posts with friends this week saying no temperatures were taken at the hospital when they entered. I thought they were so safety minded and have signs plastered all over. Guess not. For a hospital, that's pretty bad. I'm glad my friends are okay - neither went in for covid related issues, but still - That's not good.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '20

Just be careful, follow the protocols. Call em out when they don’t. If hospitals be misbehaving, turn them in to DOH.

I think we can see the results of not wearing masks, not social distancing, not following protocols, and the death count from these boneheaded moves is yet to come. Same with stupid super spreader events. Herd immunity requires a saturation rate that our health systems can not withstand. It’s a stupid concept for this virus.

In the beginning, i noted that our national plan was prayer. We have more than that now and NY, NJ, CT, MA, PA and others have provided the path. Prayer is still good but there is more we can do and must continue to do......until a vaccine. Keep the faith, Warren County below 5 per day for a week or so b

Jun '20

I had my temp taken as soon as I walked through the doors of the hospital out-patient area. I was on my way to a Dr. appointment in the west wing offices. There was a nurse at a table, and the person before me, me, the person after me, and then the people I saw coming in as I was leaving were all temp. checked. I don't know where your friends were, but that wasn't my experience at all.

summerrain1 summerrain1
Jun '20

Temp at check in at Kessler Rehab.
Masks by all .

Stymie Stymie
Jun '20

They went to outpatient, as well. No temp check. Maybe they only do in mornings or peak hours. Who knows. I just know both had the same issue.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '20

I don't want to see your ugly nose, cover that nose!

DogDayAfternoon, the hospital uses remote temperature scans when you walk in. If someone has a temperature above the threshold, it comes up on their screen, from what I saw when I was there.

Really? The one friend said the girl didn't have a mask on and had to throw it on quick, and the other said a girl down the end didn't have one on. Also, both said the signs said to stop - at the red signs - But, okay. I can see people might side with the hospital. Myself, I'd rather go the distance to Morrisotown or Newton or anywhere else. Haven't been there myself during the pandemic, but I take my two friends' words for what they went through or saw.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '20

I'm not "siding" with the hospital. I'm just relating the experience that I personally had-not what I heard from others. FWIW: I have never been an employee of the hospital, and have no vested interest in it one way or the other.

summerrain1 summerrain1
Jun '20

DDA, the NJ DOH is there for you to report this gross negligence to. Do the right thing. For yourself and your fellow citizens. This is a matter of "taking sides," this is a matter of public health.

Jun '20

I was at HMC outpatient on Friday. Didn't know they took my temperature. She gave me a sticker to wear on my shirt that said I was checked. There is a temperature sensor above the check-in desk she pointed to. If I hadn't asked, I'd have never known.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Jun '20

I have an out-patient procedure today. I spoke to the Hospital. When a person enters they are definitely checked via a sensor when you walk through the doors. I was told that there is a message that speaks to your temp being checked. The person I spoke to said people probably miss seeing this comment re temp checks. And, like many things, you can wait in your car and they will call you when ready for you and your procedure/test.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jun '20

Can the elderly and autoimmune, please leave some sale items for us that actually abide by and let you have that early hour to shop? Two weeks running sale items bought out by the time I get into the store @ 9:10.

Can you all stay in your lane while driving? Work demands I drive almost everyday and it appears drivers have gotten worse since Covid. I have a head on collision almost once an hour because someone is on the phone or not paying attention.

Can landscapers/construction companies stop parking truck/trailers on blind corners with no warning other than the orange cone at the corner of the trailer?

Can Smith Ford, Johnson Dodge and Liccardi Dodge all go under and a reputable dealership come to our area?

Can the majority of Belvidere Town Council just retire and move to Florida so we can get some younger people of board instead of funding things like trailers for the dirt mound we call a police shooting range? Or nepotism in awarding contracts?

younggen younggen
Jun '20

I don't believe flags of ANY political party belong on the same halyard as the American flag.

htownguy htownguy
Jun '20

I am so sick & tired of all these spam phone calls. I seem to be getting a lot more of them lately. I don't answer, my caller I.D. is very helpful with that, but it's just so annoying to have the phone ringing all day long (especially nap time, lol).

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Jul '20

This cuts down on a lot of it, but not all of it. It does make my phone ring one time though when it's a spam call. We just wait until a second ring before we get up to look at the caller ID.

https://nomorobo.com/

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '20

If you have Verizon, they have a call filter app that works great

Iamrite Iamrite
Jul '20

Can the Hackettstown Police keep an eye on Valentine St to slow down those noisy Motorcycles and Cars that need their exhaust fixed that think the 25 MPH Limit does not apply to them. Also the Stop sign at Jefferson St does apply as well, too many times I have come up Valentine St to have a vehicle blow the stop sign and pull out in front of me!

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
Jul '20

THIS SUCKS!!! My dogs....

My dog to. What we did, we put her in a portable coop, placed it in bathtub, closed the curtain, turned off lights and closed door. She did very well. No barking or shaking . Poor little thing. She’s out now.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '20

How much longer will they be working on Route 46?? All last week, starting at 7pm and all through the night, and now they're working during the day too. The trucks might as well be in my backyard.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '20

To the person in the Pathfinder who passed me on Arthur Terrace as I was on my motorcycle doing exactly 25 mph- you almost pushed me into the parked car! How you thought you could blow by me on my motorcycle with cars parked on the side is beyond me. I'll bet you didn't think I would follow you huh? You traveled onto Mitchell, right onto Lawrence then ultimately right onto 57 into Mansfield. You exceeded 40MPH on those residential streets!! When you finally stopped and dropped off the person who got out of your vehicle obviously he was late as he never even asked who I was as I approached in a rather animated manner. He beat it inside. I was shocked to see you were a woman and obviously had your daughter in the car. I didn't know that when you blasted by me. I know I really gave it to you while your minor child sat in the front seat. I hope you understood exactly the danger you put me and everyone in the neighborhood in today. While I was a bit loud I introduced myself, and I was polite in my explanation. You apologized sincerely- Please realize getting that person to work on time is not a reason to drive the way you did. You stated you wouldn't drive like that in your neighborhood please be respectful of all neighborhoods.

Glad you are ok, Greg. She sounds like a total self-centered moron.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '20

Thank you. Unfortunately there was a definite language barrier so I'm a little unsure if she understood everything I articulated. However at first I was so pissed my delivery certainly left little doubt in my displeasure! LOL.

Greg that’s awful. Wow

Masks Fortheugly Masks Fortheugly
Aug '20

Greg,
If it makes you feel better, she doesn't care.

dodgebaaall dodgebaaall
Sep '20

Hey, 8:10am, neighbors kids are up, guess we all should get up now.

Roywhite Roywhite
Sep '20

It’s also great when the neighbor’s adult kids are up at 5:00am.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '20

How do I get my kids up at 8:10. They all sleep until noon.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Sep '20

Bob,
Just drink more craft beer so you won't wake up until noon. Then it won't bother you.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Sep '20

Wish my kids slept until 8:10am. But it's nice when my neighbors' landscaper starts mowing at 6:45am too.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '20

Before you purchase from any ad banner here, do your research. I have never seem such a list of bad reviews and outright scammers in my internet history. Many bad actors. Please find reviews first.

Sep '20

What can be done about all the vultures hanging around the homes around Kenwood. Anyone know how to get them to go away

annoyed
Sep '20

Annoyed:

A short blast of a car alarm worked for me.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Sep '20

I use two one-foot or so boards, like 2x4s. Just smack em together (without your fingers) and the birds should fly.

Sep '20

Sure am glad I’m not a “virtual nobody”.

Roywhite Roywhite
Sep '20

Delivery trucks parking where ever TF they want to drop off packages with ever increasing regularity.
Blind spots, narrow streets, wherever they feel like.
Between them and the landscapers-bad things gonna happen with increasing regularity.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '20

Stymie

You beat me to it! I was in another town last week to buy something from a resident. An Amazon van in front of me pulls over to the left and parks partway into traffic to make his delivery. Because of that I missed the address, went down, turned around and came back. as I parked on the shoulder the same driver starts traveling towards me, then goes into the opposite lane of travel around me and parks on the other side of the driveway from me. He was going to the same house and apparently until I parked there had been planning on driving down the wrong side of the road to get there.

A UPS driver in the same town today stopped on the shoulder in the proper direction and walked across the street to make his delivery. The correct way. Do they vet the Amazon drivers or give them safety training, or are they like FedEx Ground, contracted drivers? A cop following that Amazon driver could have had a freaking field day.

I agree with you on the landscapers too. Many of them will obstruct part of an intersection or corners. Yes, I know they want to be close to the client(s) house, but the streets are public and you can park one house down to prevent causing a road hazard. When you're a contributing cause of an accident or one of your people get creamed because they just walk out in front of cars without looking to see if anyone's coming you'll find out how quickly insurance says it's your problem and not theirs.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

So many streets have bushes blocking views while turning. I don't like having to inch out and inch out and then see someone is coming. Trim bushes and trees that are close to the roads. ;)

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '20

DogDayAfternoon:

“ So many streets have bushes blocking views while turning”

Yes very annoying and not safe. There are sight distance requirements but the towns/townships do not enforce them

Lamppost Lamppost
Sep '20

Interesting topic to me because I was just trying to make a turn out of W. Valley View onto Main Street. There are several very overgrown tall weeds growing right there, preventing an unobstructed view up the hill coming down from Independence. I am not sure who would be responsible to just cut down those weeds, since that is a state highway. I'm half tempted to do it myself.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Sep '20

Lonesome Dove, Lamppost - I know what you mean. I don't know who to call or if it's personal property in some places or if a person who owns a corner house and so on. Bushes hang down too far or trees are overgrown and I hate inching out bit by bit. Who the heck do you report streets or intersections to in each town? No idea.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '20

The Town Code is your best friend. Page 1225 of Hackettstown's:

"12-80. Maintenance and Trimming of Brush, etc.
The owner or owners, tenant or tenants, of land lying within the limits of the Town of
Hackettstown, shall keep all brush, hedges and other plant life growing within ten (10') feet of any
roadway within the Town of Hackettstown, and within twenty-five (25') feet of the intersection of any
two (2) roadways, cut to a height of not more than two and one-half (2½') feet above the adjacent
ground elevation where it shall be necessary and expedient for the preservation of public safety.
12-81. Construction and Maintenance of Fences.
The owner or owners, tenant or tenants, of land lying within the limits of the Town of
Hackettstown and forming a corner property, shall not construct or maintain any fences or other
structures within a distance of twenty-five (25') feet of the point of intersection of the sidelines of each
of the two (2) intersecting streets or roadways, which is more than two and one-half (2½') feet above
the adjacent ground elevation where it shall be necessary and expedient for the preservation of public
safety."

To summarize the rest...
If the items aren't removed or shortened within 10 days of a written notice from the Police Department, the fine is $25/days. After 10 days, it's handed to the Town Engineer to have corrected and a lien placed on the house or an addition put onto their property tax for the amount it costs to correct the issue.

If the Town Council decides that strict application of the law will result in a severe hardship, a hardship waiver may be granted. I'm guessing that there would be some kind of compromise reached on height and distance in that case.

As far as setbacks for complete clearance and trees dangling in the way, I'll have to check further. If it's a Town-owned tree however, you can't cut or disturb it in any way without permission. That's in the next Article in the Code! I think the place to call would be the DPW should any of the trees next to the roadways be dangling and overgrown so as to obstruct signs, sight views at intersections, etc. Since the trees between the sidewalk and curbing are normally Town-owned trees, I think that would be your best bet.

I would imagine you'd either report the issue at the Police Dept. or call on the non-emergency line, since they deliver the written notice. Reporting it at a Town Meeting so there's a record of it/them would probably work too. Maybe Jim L. will chime in on this, since he has the experience behind him.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

Thank you, Phil.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '20

DogDayAfternoon

My pleasure, happy to help!

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

You can either call the non emergency police or the DPW and they will come out to check on the issue and send a letter to the owner of the property to address it. After 10days the town will hire a contractor to do the work and put a lien on the property until the invoice is paid.

Jim L Jim L
Sep '20

Jim L

Thanks for confirming what I wrote. I wanted to make sure I didn't get anything wrong.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

On a marginally similar topic:
A couple months ago we watched from our porch as someone drove up in a pickup truck and off-loaded a large sofa and a couple chairs on the berm up the street, at the corner of Washington and Church. That property is a multi-unit rental and we initially assumed someone was moving in, or at least had gotten new furniture. But no. Apparently it was just some random stranger looking for a place to dump his furniture. The following day someone drove by and took the chairs, but the sofa has just been sitting there ever since. Who do I call to get it taken away?

Monty Monty
Sep '20

The property owner?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '20

Monty, I live right by where you’re talking about and we saw the exact same thing. I thought people were moving in, never occurred to me that it was just dropped off. The couch is still sitting there, an eyesore for sure. I just asked my husband the other day, How long do you think that’s going to sit there for?

Bessie Bessie
Sep '20

The gov has extended the state of emergency for another 30 days.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '20

"The gov has extended the state of emergency for another 30 days."

Does that surprise you? It will persist through the election.

Yup covid is definitely going away Nov 4th...

Iampc Iampc
Sep '20

Farewell to democracy.

For reals For reals
Sep '20

We've seen that sitting there for months every time we go to the library. Since someone has even taken the cushions while leaving the rest, I think you can figure it's pretty well permanent now.

Without any proof where it came from, unfortunately it's likely to fall on the property owner's shoulders to deal with.

I think they “dropped” off the furniture in July. I thought it was a bit early for Centenary students to moving in, especially with the Covid.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '20

"The gov has extended the state of emergency for another 30 days."

I have no words.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '20

I’ve got plenty of words, Calico. :/

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '20

I have plenty of words as well but I dont think they would be the same ones!

Mel81 Mel81
Sep '20

The State of Emergency isn’t long enough.

YeahRight YeahRight
Sep '20

The couch is gone!

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Sep '20

Another one bites the dust.

auntiel auntiel
Sep '20

There goes another one.

auntiel auntiel
Oct '20

Very surprised and very, very disappointed that a local restaurant has cooks and employees working without masks. I was in the restaurant last week for a take-out order and saw this.

happiest girl
Oct '20

happiest girl - But which one? You're posting this but not the place? Would love to know where not to go. (and did you still get the take out? makes me wonder about their other practices)

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '20

DDA -- without naming them, I will say it's a pizza / Italian place in Hackettstown. Anyone who steps inside can see for themselves without my naming the place.

happiest girl
Oct '20

It's tough in this day and age..... You could turn around, but that would pretty much end your future pizza stops there. Used to be you could just call them and say: "Hey......" But now we got caller ID and you might be marked for a "special" on your next take out. You could call the police, but man ----- what a waste of effort for everyone.

OR you could announce it here and basically ruin them for much of this audience.....seems harsh for what might have been a slight error, small teachable moment.

Teachable moment: wear a mask, you could be outed for not and then it takes forever to get people to come back and trust you. Ask Joe Pesci ---- suddenly not in demand.......people can't even tell whether it's him or a doppelganger :>) Had he been in mask ---- bam --- no questions!

Oct '20

I think I know the place. Saw it a while back.

Soup Nazi Soup Nazi
Oct '20

"Very surprised and very, very disappointed that a local restaurant has cooks and employees working without masks. I was in the restaurant last week for a take-out order and saw this."

Bummer.

I had a similar mask experience last weekend just on the other side of the coin.

I went for a (great) foliage ride with a friend on our motorcycles last weekend. I was very, very pleased that a local establishment had both patrons and staff operating without masks. I was in the place enjoying some lunch and an adult beverage. I don't want to name the place either.

What side of the coin would that be?

I just can’t imagine the purpose of being in a confined space with potentially infected people with zero protection? I mean patrons obviously would be unmasked, but workers? What’s the attraction to being unprotected in a pandemic? I just don’t get the pushback.

Oct '20

A good foliage ride will cure any venting. People need to lighten up a bit

Masks Fortheugly Masks Fortheugly
Oct '20

Greg,
So, if you get sick, will you quarantine?

happiest girl
Oct '20

Sure. On the very slim chance I were to be infected I would quarantine as needed based on a doctor's recommendation and my individual circumstance.

I know of a pizza place where the workers haven't worn masks once since the mandate, it has not hurt their business at all. It actually makes me and many others I know want to support them more.

Greg - Don't be so practical and logical. People don't like it.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

How American of you to take this stand to make your point. It’s a protest to be proud of.

We all take risk when the personal value outweighs the risks. Why take unnecessary risk? It’s a choice I guess. It’s a personal statement I guess.

Businesses are not in this category. It’s the law. Turn them in. Lock them up. They are physically endangering customers and employees. And for what purpose? What are you defending; a virus? Being free to get sick to make some essential worker happy? Which is worse; forcing wearing of a mask or forcing employee’s to not wear a mask?

Ask Chris Christie. Can’t ask Herman Cain. Two believers lik you, two great answers.

Oct '20

Selfish and self-centered. That’s the “logic”.

Yeah Right Yeah Right
Oct '20

Chris Christie has some major risk factors and I am sure he was doing some praying during his time at the hospital. The only real point is too not overload the hospitals. If you do overload the hospitals it is tool late and you just have to ride out bodies piling up like cords of wood. Its more intellectual than "feel"...

Wear the mask.

htownguy htownguy
Oct '20

SD unfortunately the town is not enforcing any of the covid mandates. When you report violations to the state they notify local authorities who are supposed to handle the issue. I know of about 30 different reports made by several people about a certain few businesses in the town and not a single one has been followed up on.

As for me, I wish people would stop being so coy about this pizzeria. If you’re so proud that they’re not wearing masks, name them so we can all make informed decisions. After eight months of ignoring violations it seems pretty clear they’re not in danger of legal trouble. I wouldn’t eat at a restaurant that doesn’t follow basic safe serve guidelines before covid, why would I want to now?

Kat - Why should anyone name them on a forum? Are you incapable of noticing if employees are wearing masks or not when you walk into an establishment? If you walk in and they are not wearing masks, walk back out if you don't like it.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

Unfortunately, Warren has finally started to spike; over 3 cases a day last week; 8 yesterday. Used to be 1-2 and under 5, many zeros. And our buffers of Sussex and even Hunterdon ate doing worse. Morris is still bad but amazingly holding pretty steady. It’s in HHS, two schools in Washington, but onesies only so far.

Our basic problem is relaxing our protocols. Of course, Island Dragway super spreaders don’t help but are rare. Our second problem is contact tracing not working because of noncompliance. Literally making ourselves sick through inaction similar to our friends above.

Murphy is in a bind and basically holding his nose while praying. Might not expand the reopening, but not clamping down. Promised scalpel like closings but so far we are accepting 1,000 a day when we know the protocols can deliver under 500.

So, the tale of the tape, the numbers, say to wear the mask.

Oct '20

" I know of about 30 different reports made by several people about a certain few businesses in the town and not a single one has been followed up on."

Wow, there's a lot of hearsay "facts" in that one sentence.

Jim L Jim L
Oct '20

Ah, the ole anecdotal evidence call out. One of my favorites! And perfrctly applied.

But we do know of two accounts of not calling it in.

Such a weird thing to even have to discuss. Scientists around the world have made it clear but these two; they still just don’t get it.

Oct '20

I just shake my head. You can almost tell immediately which people are against wearing masks. I can tell on here and on Facebook. I swear, it's a personality thing, it's a 'it's my rights' thing, it's a thumping my chest thing. So damn easy to wear a mask. Soooooo easy, but yeah, keep pushing back. Cases are climbing again and some people, like Christie will only have that light bulb go off over their head when it affects them. Then it's whoops! Wear a mask. No one is asking people to do something hard for cripe's sake. lol Geeeeez.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '20

Not afraid to name places. I was in Sonnys about a week and a half ago and one of their delivery guys was standing around not wearing a mask waiting for his next order to be ready to go out. Everyone behind the counter working was, except him. After putting my order in I waited outside for my order to be ready.

To answer the questin about why places should be named: Not everyone goes into a place to get their food. Especially now, deliveries with grub hub/door dash/uber eats/whatever are way up. The only person you'll possibly see would be the delivery person.

hiker hiker
Oct '20

"Wear a mask. No one is asking people to do something hard for cripe's sake. lol Geeeeez."

Who are you to say what is hard and not hard for anyone? It's hard for me to allow tyrannical authorities to dictate what I should wear. Sorry, not sorry. It's unconstitutional. Our rights are being infringed and trampled on and the masses are allowing it. I can't imagine what most people would submit to out of fear. That's actually way more frightening to me than a virus with a 99+% survival rate.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

You're hilarious Calico. 100% the response I expected. Keep thumping that chest about your 'rights' and tyranny. OMG> Get over yourself and do good for the rest, if not for yourself. Maybe it's the beer burps in your mask you don't like.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '20

DDA-one could easily state you just gave the 100% response expected. Attacking someone with needless personal insults because you may have a differing view.

SD, it's quite presumptuous to make a statement as to what people "get." Again one's personal opinion does not negate another's.

As far as what I posted above I did not indicate my position on masks. I simply noted while bug found displeasure with people not wearing masks in a food establishment, I found pleasure in enjoying a plate of hot wings and a cold beer in a setting that was 'normal". It has been quite some time since one was able to experience that. I personally could not care less if people want to wrap themselves up like a mummy and walk around and live their lives that way or if they want to wear their birthday suit and lick door knobs. To each is own.
Funny last month I went to a large automobile event in Pennsylvania, Carlisle events. One of the largest in the country. The event has 82 acres with 2500 vendors hundreds of food service workers etc. There where easily 20,000 attendees that day. I could count on one hand how many masks were worn. There has been no indication that it was a super spreader or any uptick because of that very large 5-day event. I bring that up because apparently island dragway was a super spreader? LOL.

I do not take anything a ‘flat earth-er’ says seriously.

Mrs.Ward Mrs.Ward
Oct '20

Wearing a mask has become controversial. I forgo clothes, not wearing them anymore. No shoes, no shirts, no pants, service!
No law can keep me from my right of nudity, whos with me?

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '20

Greg, if you look at all my old posts, I am 99.99% NICE, so - maybe check Calico's or your own. I'm not attacking. THIS is why most people just lurk on this site - because the same old know it alls get away with murder, post what they want, and are mean. Trust me - there are people reading that would never post because they feel they would be attacked by the regulars who have a say in every single post.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '20

"Maybe it's the beer burps in your mask you don't like"

With all due respect that statement you made above was not nice and unnecessary to get your opinion across.

Sure there has been and will be spirited debate and discussions on this site. However if someone chooses to participate or lurk is up to them. I think stating new posters will automatically get attacked if they post is a bit of a strong and perhaps exaggerated statement. It breeds a climate in this virtual community that really does not exist. Just as in life- there is always someone willing to give an opinion- solicited or not. Here one can simply go to one of the other gazillions of websites for entertainment.

Greg. I said I am nice 99.99% of the time. Even I have my limits. Sorry, but some people on here are just unbearable most of the time.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '20

Fair enough, DDA.

When I get too wrapped up in this virtual place I simply pop on my headphones and listen to music. I'm headed out to do just that now while transporting leaves from one place to another in my yard! LOL.

Greg; this ain’t opinion; it’s scientific fact. Masks save infections, less infections save lives, herd immunity is only possible with a loss of life no sane human would support. Not wearing a mask is tacitly supporting herd immunity theory, scientifically speaking at least. No matter what your opinions might be.

Calico; there is nowhere in the Constitution protecting the rights of the mask-less and everywhere about public safety and defense. I’ll match any citations you have ten fold.

Your quotes are funny; there’s no essential liberty or lack there of in a mask. And Jefferson got both; dangerous freedom and peaceful slavery, pretty funny yet again, neither have anything to do with a mask.

And neither are Constitutional.

Let’s move on. We know wgat science says about rhe mask. And we know what you two are saying too. And it ain’t science.

Oct '20

Maybe calico requires “Gov. Christie” type of conversion.
Catch it or have it hit close to home to understand the seriousness of the situation.
Hope it doesn’t come to that.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '20

Wearing a mask is more about protecting those around you from the germs you may be spreading while you are asymptomatic. I hate wearing one myself but it is a basic courtesy to wear one since you don't know if the people near you are or who they are going home to. Be respectful and wear a mask.

Mel81 Mel81
Oct '20

Mel81,

+1000
I pretty much agree. I'd prefer not to wear it, but if I protect even one person from myself if I'm infected but have no symptoms, it's worth it.

OK, all you non-mask wearers, throw your eggs and tomatoes at me ... I can take it, lol!

I actually do see both sides, I really do. And I completely get Calico's position, and I don't disagree. I'm just doing what my gut is telling me.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Oct '20

OMG, thanks for the laughs everyone.

You have a good weekend too, Rob.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

SD- I do not think you understand my remarks. It is my opinion that I had an enjoyable experience dining in a establishment where folks weren't wearing masks. It was a direct response to a post where a person found displeasure in a dining experience with people not wearing masks. The other side of the coin type of thing. Simply an example of two very different responses and feelings regarding a similar event. I never gave an opinion as to the efficacy or whether or not one should or should not wear a mask. That is where facts would come into play. It seems you are attempting to massage and use my remarks to fit your narrative. Assuming I was pleased because there was no masks because I'm anti-mask is just that, an assumption. My pleasure came from the normalcy of the past in this situation.

You said "We all take risk when the personal value out ways the risks. Why take unnecessary risk? It's a choice I guess. It's a personal statement I guess."

That is an (your) opinion and I agree with that to an extent. However one persons unnecessary risk level may be very different from another's.

I never made a " personal statement" or portrayed my experience as a "protest". It had nothing to do with any of that. My post was simply pointing out two different reactions to a similar type of event.

You’re correct, we don’t understand each other. Nor do you understand many other comments here either.

Mine is not an opinion; it’s science, it’s a fact.

It’s also the law.

It’s also a knowing knowledge that you are risking doing harm to others.

Did you speak up? Did you report? You reported you enjoyed it because it made you feel normal and that was good.

At some point, silence is compliance.

You say it’s your risk, but as noted above, it’s the risk to others they pose and now the risk to other's you pose. That’s what’s really wrong. To risk others just because you had the petty need to feel normal. Now, thats an opinion, that I feel your need to feel normal outweighs your need to protect others and keep them safer is totally wrong and, IMO. a petty need.

Meanwhile, a couple counties away, they are looking for volunteers to sew ppe gowns because they can’t get enough. Bet they want to feel normal again. I’m sorry to be harsh, but war is hell and covid is war. It’s serious stiil and will be until mid 2021 — IMO.

Oct '20

"It’s also the law."

It's not a law, it's an executive order. Laws need to be passed by through the legislature.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

Interestingly, you are right on the technical, wrong in the potential actions, but right in reality.....for now.

The correct wording is that EOs can have the effect of law.

EO’s are not laws, you are right. Federal ones siffer from State ones. A main purpose of some EOs is to describe how an existing law is to be interpreted and implemented basically having the effect of law, you are wrong. This EO includes a disorderly penalty with potential fines and time, you are really wrong. No one knows how to enforce, you are right again. The legislature is about to pass law: $500 fine. So, for now you are more right than wrong; however there is, under this EO, the potential for a citation and fine which while technically is not law, still carries the effect of law.

Oct '20

Why not protect others? We are all humans. Love and care about each other.

Mrs.Ward Mrs.Ward
Oct '20

If people cannot see the problem with fines and other penalties being assessed via executive decree (instead of the proper legislative process), there is no sense continuing this discussion.

Jnnjr Jnnjr
Oct '20

Jnnjr - people who don’t wear a mask are the ones that have no sense.

happiest girl
Oct '20

I agree with happiest girl. Plus, Jnnjr, you'd wind up with what's going on with the stimulus checks for monthssss. There will always be hold outs and things become moot. It's a lousy mask. It's not political. It's not infringing on 'rights' (rolls eyes) - It's just common sense, science, and being a human being. It's such a teeny tiny little thing to do.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '20

DDA, I never said anything about wearing masks or the merits of such. I will agree that the EO’s are infringing on our rights, but not in the way you are thinking. While I do think wearing masks indoors in public or in crowded outdoor settings makes sense, I have huge issues with people being fined and jailed for violating no law passed through proper Channels (is, the legislature, town counsel, etc). I don’t care if it is for safety, that is not how laws are made.

Could you imagine the outcry if Murphy (in the name of public safety) decided to issue an executive order tomorrow that any one caught smoking will be fined $500 for the first offense, and 15 days in jail for future offenses? What if Murphy decided by EO to raise the sales tax to 10% to help pay for ppe for first responders. Or, since most on here are in favor of legalizing pot, if Murphy decided by EO to raise the tax on pot to 25%.

Jnnjr Jnnjr
Oct '20

The fines would be according to law. The crime is being disorderly. It’s all defined in the EO I believe, it’s all legal. Otherwise, we’d be in court.

Just not really being enforced very much.

The new legislation will be legal too and calls for a $500 fine.

More important is to understand the science behind the reason to wear a mask and the risk to self, and more importantly, others if you don’t. I just have a real, fact-based, problem with either the politics of this or rhinking that feeling normal is worth the crime.

Oct '20

It’s “legal” because our state constitution gives the governor unchecked powers during an emergency. Does not make it right, though. Other states with checks and balances have had EOs overturned in court.

Once again, I ask if people would be just as ok with Murphy using an EO to unilaterally ban smoking with the same disorderly conduct penalties.

Jnnjr Jnnjr
Oct '20

You are correct, it is legal, it is also scientifically right. You seem to have the opinion it is not right, but you reasons fly in the fave of science, put others at risk. I would hope you could see where some would call that arrogant and selfish.

Uh....smoking is basically banned in exactly the same way......so, apparently, NJ said yes.

Oct '20

Heartbreaking to hear my BF daughter had to leave her job. She was not fired, she just could take the difficulties of wearing a mask. She is hearing impaired. Although she does sign language, she depends on reading peoples lips. Her speech is very difficult to understand anyway, but wearing a mask makes this impossible for customers to understand her. Very sad.

auntiel auntiel
Oct '20

Sad that you cannot understand the difference between a law that may be well intentioned, and a law that comes via mayorial, gubernatorial, or presidential edict.

Your comment about my smoking case proves it. Any of the anti smoking laws were passed by valid legislation - not by edict. What else will you allow Murphy to institute without any input from the legislature? How about raising taxes on his own? What about banning alcohol - lots of lives could be saved there.

Once again, my issue is not about the value of the rule he created. My issue is HOW those rules were put in place. Good intentions does not allow you to bypass the law.

Jnnjr Jnnjr
Oct '20

If the question was do EO’s void the Constitution, the answer is absolutely yes, sometimes. That’s a bad thing. That’s the purview of the courts which have pushed back many an EO. Other times, EOs fulfill their intended purpose to better clarify and define existing law. That’s a good thing.

We can argue our opinion where the mask EO falls, but since there is no court case in NJ, so far, it has the effect of law. FYI- about 33 states have the mandate; Michigan’s court overturned the governor’s EO but the DOH reinstated the mask mandate, under public safety rules, literally the next day. Don’t see a good precedent for your opinion on this one. But on EO’s in general, yes, the potential for abuse certainly exists and the courts have said so in multiple cases.

Oct '20

If I sniff in some of your cigarette or cigar smoke for 10 minutes I doubt that I’ll develop lung cancer.
If I sniff in some of your virus droplets for 10 minutes I very well may develop a debilitating lung condition.
You wear a mask to protect me- I wear one to protect you.
Apparently, the concept is above many’s pay grade on this thread.
Sad

Stymie Stymie
Oct '20

well presented, Stymie

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '20

Bottom line:

We’ll Never Know

We’ll never know how many friends and family members didn’t get Covid-19 because we followed safeguards.

We’ll never know how many lives we save because we wear masks, wash our hands and keep our distance.

We’ll never know exactly who we help or who we save when we take protective steps each day.

We’ll only know that we did all we could to save people from a dangerous pandemic.

...... And that’s a nice thing for us to live with.

(Quote from IBX)

happiest girl
Oct '20

Actually, we do know how many lives can be saved via wearing of the mask. There are better examples all around the world. A range of lives that could have been saved is easily established.

We also have examples of the cost of trying herd immunity; again a range, because of all the variables. We are a good example of where that type of thinking might lead. Probably a misery factor of ten or more from where we are at present in our third wave. Think of the lack of resources, makeshift hospitals without DRs and supplies, bodies stacking in refer units, perhaps even mass graves —- apocalyptic like stuff compared to NY/NJ experience.

We explain it’s OK because the EU has a surge too. It’s their second, our third surge, and they began the process earlier. Matter of fact, we caught it from them, after they were deep into their first surge.

Current estimates are a national mask mandate, with some teeth, would save 130,000 lives by February. Our current pace says we double by then. Not sure how accepting that is Constitutional. .

Oct '20

this says it better than I can

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '20

@ 4catmom.......Thank you, my friend!!!

joyful joyful
Oct '20

Stranger,

Your figures seem a bit off. Right now (and since around August), we have been averaging around 850 deaths per day across the US (via NY TImes). In order to have 130,000 deaths by February, we would need to average about 1,500 deaths per day - let alone the about 3,000/day needed to have twice 260,000 deaths you say our current pace puts us on. We haven't seen an average that would put us at 130,000 deaths by Feb since mid-May.

So, either I misunderstood what you were trying to say (certainly possible as I'm still working on my first cup of coffee), or your numbers are not accurate.

And, as for herd immunity, All I will say is Sweden hasn't had more than 10 Covid deaths since July 18. Even at a high average of 5 deaths/day from Covid, scaled to match the population of the US, that would only be about 165 deaths per day. We haven't seen figures that low since the end of March.

jnnjr jnnjr
Oct '20

Good points; for the 130k; google “masks save 130,000 lives” and Nature story on report comes up. I like to think directional instead of exact, but yeah, 130k achievable given their scenario and if we relax more, could be higher, even double today’s total. We will be seeing 1,500 dead soon, and have not seen the effects of the last two weeks of super spreaders.

I honestly can’t imagine the states don’t do the right thing pretty soon and while we will add over 200k more dead, not by Spring. Science must prevail soon, we have to start listening.

In terms of Sweden, all I see is unmitigated disaster where herd immunity was never reached and basic failure in all goals. If you have better sources specifying a better outcome, fire away.

Oct '20

My vent: watching two grown adults fight about each other’s leaves.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '20

3wb - Were they wearing masks while arguing? ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

Nope

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '20

Pick up the yellow ones! Mine are only orange!

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '20

Thats about what it sounded like, Roy!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '20

Thank you for the article - it does explain some of the numbers better. I still don't buy their numbers, though. That article is suggesting that in 4 months time, we will more than double our current number of deaths without doing anything different. I don't see how we do that when it took us 6 months to reach our current level (and treatments have gotten better leading to less deaths as well so I doubt we would see the 2,500+ deaths/day kind of figures again). I get their point that wearing masks indicates less exposure/deaths, but Al Gore told us NYC would be underwater from global warming by now also. (I'm not trying to argue the merits of either - just making the point that using alarmist numbers does not help progress your position.) I'll give you we are on an upward trend, and getting rid of masks will make that trend higher faster. The numbers from the report, however, are (IMHO) alarmist and not indicative of what we will actually see.

In regards to Sweden, I guess the question becomes what are the goals? Yes, they have about 1/2 the cases we have in the US which given the population differences, that is a HUGE increase per capita compared to the US (some would suggest even more since their testing has been very limited). BUT, their deaths are also drastically lower than ours. So, what are they doing to prevent deaths that we are not? Most reports I see say the jury is still out on if it has been effective or not.

I guess that really becomes the question to ask - is cases or hospitalizations/deaths the better metric to look at?

jnnjr jnnjr
Oct '20

I am going to vent on the relationship of Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani. It is so "Soupy". What does he see in her? She is 7 older than him. Couldn't he do better than her ???

They should NOT be coaches on the Voice" together. That is a conflict of interest. And then they sit there staring at each other like two sick puppies.

She might sing OK but her outfits and hair are weird. I guess she has some good assists he appreciates.

Bernie Bernie
Oct '20

My bad, commenting on a vent, but #jealous! Lol!

maja2 maja2
Oct '20

What kind of sociopath puts a vacuum cleaner away like this?

LOL.

For the rest of us civilized people.....

LMAO!

Oh Greg that second one was so much better. LMBO

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '20

Greg - Do you have a stack of 500 pennies, all sorted by year???? ;-)

Is that a Shark? Have you been jumping the Shark?

And how the $&”&& did you sneak into my house ;-)

Nov '20

No, Strangerdanger...he was in MY...house....I am so guilty of doing that!!!! Always in a hurry...

joyful joyful
Nov '20

LOL. You folks walk among us!!?? LOL.

GC- I don't but I do like the sound of that!!

An unofficial poll. How many folks know what to do while driving a car in a neighborhood when you see this sign?

It depends.

Nov '20

Greg

Yes, thanks for that! I do, and I actually do a complete one and check to make sure nobody's close enough to present a hazard before proceeding from one!

On another note, NO "thank you" to the girl who almost ran into me on Mitchell at about 4:10 tonight. The youngster bicycling on her side of the road (legally, and in the direction she was traveling) dove out of the way and I almost scraped the car beside me as I was coming in the opposite direction, when she decided to thread the already tight needle between the bicyclist and I. She was NOT watching at all. or she'd have stopped the few seconds it would have taken to wait before entering the tight area with cars parked on both sides. The bicyclist was lucky they had an opening in the parked cars they could duck into, or the girl would have hit them.

Ironically, shortly before that, but on another section of Mitchell, an adult on a bicycle (or an electric bike) who seemed to have turned from Shelley, traveled TOWARDS me, on MY side of the road swerved out to avoid leaves that were in the road. Fortunately, the car traveling on THEIR proper side of the road AND coming in my direction slowed to give me time to avoid the guy on the bike and not worry about whether our cars would hit each other. Bike guy was completely oblivious to what he was doing and was looking somewhere past me as he road by.

People, if you're riding a bicycle, you belong on the SAME side of the street as the motorized vehicles are traveling, NOT against traffic.

Pedestrians are supposed to walk against the direction of traffic, when they don't have a sidewalk to walk on, so they can see what's coming towards them and not have traffic coming up from behind.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '20

This is not looking good, folks.............

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '20

I thought this was talked about on a thread, but I couldn't find it.

I don't understand why the Moderator took this new thread off that I put on a few weeks ago!

Going on Arthur Terrace in that development, cars are parked on either side on this street. sometimes there is room for 1 car to get through.

I wish enough of people on Arthur would see and read this thread and park their right side of car on the grass, or on top of the low curb, to allow more room on this road. I also thought parking was not allowed during certain hours either.

Recently someone banged into a car there. The guy was drunk. You don't have to be drunk to do this either, it becomes a narrow road!!

Hackresident Hackresident
Nov '20

Hackresident- If you type Arthur Terrace in the search box it will bring up the thread you referenced.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/813439

They say you only live once.
Jimmy Dean died in 2010.
How is he still making sausage commercials?

Stymie Stymie
Nov '20

Greg, wierd, when i typed in Arthur Terrace, that thread didn't come up.

Hackresident Hackresident
Nov '20

HL, go home. Your ads are drunk! —->

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '20

Banners ain't to grand either; high % go to questionable sites with very bad customer reviews if not outright scams.

Dec '20

When a person places an ad in the classifieds stating "Need help with editing or writing papers?" I recommend at minimum to be sure it doesn't have any typo's and or grammar errors in the ad! Sort of tough to appear credible if the ad can't pass muster. LOL

Greg. You're right. Wow. You would think they would run that through grammar check.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '20

If you are going to drink wine all day before picking up little Billy in your Yukon XL you should bypass Arthur Terrace.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Dec '20

Day Drinking. Is that still a thing? LOL

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.