Venting 2020

So many birds of prey - especially eagles - are being brought to rehabbers because of high levels of lead in their blood. Many are dying from it. They eat remains of hunted animals and ingest the lead. If you hunt and you are still using lead bullets, please watch this video- It is just a preview of the full movie: https://vimeo.com/317878878

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '20

Excuse my ignorance, but as a person who does not hunt, why are there remains of animals lying in the woods that have been shot by hunters? Isn’t the idea to take what you have killed out of the woods with you in order to process them?

Eperot Eperot
Feb '20

What about the varmints that get poisoned by bait stations? That could also be a cause for the increase, no?

Englishe30 Englishe30
Feb '20

...in most situations, most hunters will “field dress” the animal. This usually involves cutting open the animal and removing the entrails to prepare the meat for butchering.

The entrails are left behind and eaten by the critters living in the area.

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '20

Eperot there are a lot of idiots who don't wait for a clean shot and hit the animal where they linger for awhile then die.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '20

Wow, didn’t know that. Apparently has finished off 76 Condors in recent years so CA passed a law.

You would think given the large decline in hunting that the remainders would be the smart ones. You know, guys who realize eating lead is very, very bad. Guess not given the wide distribution of info on lead’s lethality and the readily available bullet material alternatives. 30 states have lead restrictions on hunting.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Feb '20

Hunting season with rifles is only 2 weeks or so. Must be another answer

Bug3
Feb '20

When someone advertises Nike soccer cleats...and they’re not Nike.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '20

&^%$#@ life......when a 43 year old woman dies after a 2 year fight breast cancer, leaving behind a 4 year old daughter.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '20

That moment of pure rage when small town politics and backroom handjobs screw you out of money. Play by the rules, no kickbacks, no favors, do a good job and not cut corners, NOPE, contract awarded to the guy who does 1/2 what the contract states and does a horrible job. But it looks good on paper to everyone because they were low bid by........$300 & parades his daughter on the company webpage to support them. If I bid the quality of work he does I'd be 4-5K under his bid. However, I'd be held to the gold standard and then would be in breach on contract.

I'm doing this all wrong.

Younggen- you keep doing it the way you do whatever it is that you are doing it.

Just let everyone know how you do it from the start- whether in person, cover letter, etc.

If everyone held themselves and everyone else around them to a higher standard the world would be a much better place!!

I started my office life responding to RFPs for state and federal bids. Generally, unless you were unique in some way low cost that best fulfilled the bid wins. Best fulfilled was key in that often all items might not be met. While your personal standards should be met, often the wording of the bid provides you alternatives. In my case they was also a protest process where my particular expertise came in. I could tie them up in knots if needed. Sometimes I was only hired to do the protest.

If low cost is still the rule, unlike Josh, I would say if you’re not willing to change or it’s impossible to change, unless this other guy goes broke or fails miserably, why bid again. You are proven to lose.

Or change. The game is to fulfill the RFP. Better than your competition and at a slightly lower price. My mentor used to say, “who cares why you win, focus on why you lose, learn from it and make adjustments.”

Perhaps go East where your cost structure my give you advantage against higher cost local operations.

You may still lose but you probably won’t lose to the same guy for the same reason. We still lost some, probably most. But hardly ever for the same thing to the same guy....twice. Good luck; I know it sucks after all that hard work. Lots of paper usually. But if the game is really rigged as you might be feeling; that too should be part of your change if you want to win.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
February 25th

Without getting into too much, it was made evident to me they didn't want to change contractors from the previous year (yearly awarded contract). Last year the proposals were due in October and awarded in late Dec./Jan. I believe. This year due in Oct. but were awarded yesterday after a re-bid. I too deal with RFP's all the time from Port Authority, States, County agencies and private companies. I was low bid prior to the re-bid. The re-bid extended the number of visits to the site as well as added 3 additional sites. Everyone's numbers should have increased ~%20. Two other vendors came in about that number, I only added %8 in attempt to stay under previous years winner. His number didn't move. No increase for inflation, nothing for additional properties, nothing for additional visits. Now everyone will say great no increase but his work sucks and because these old timey council members don't care about how the quality of his work because they are friends with the owners somesuch parents/aunts/uncles or watched him grow up BS; sometimes gets the blood boiling. Then everyone wonders why the town looks like crap and taxes are so high.

Stranger, your advice only reaffirms my previous thinking (which all the voices in my head agreed with from the start). First try was to do it the right way and I took it in the shorts. Next year will be to "fulfill" the bid. I guarantee it will end poorly. And to those wondering why bother, if someone doesn't do something about it we all just keep getting walked on. Questioning or testing the status quo in an attempt to improve the
community shouldn't be frowned upon.

Maybe I'm just being protective, but seems suspicious to have an ad from a guy in Famingdale NY looking for high school or college girls that know fashion in the classifieds. Sketchy to me.

DogDayAfternoon
March 6th

Especially a "guy" named Arianna...

ianimal ianimal
March 6th

DDA - I'm fairly certain Arianna is a woman's name and the phone number is probably a cell phone, meaning she doesn't necessarily live in Farmingdale, NY. My cell phone has a Morristown number and I live in Oxford. Most people don't change their cell numbers when they move.

Calico696 Calico696
March 6th

That girl posted in the Hackettstown facebook page as well looking for someone to help her sell some clothes, she is a real girl from Hackettstown. Not sure where it was gathered that it was a man posting the ad lol if you search the number on google another htown life forum comes up with Arianna posting her cell to assist with finding a lost pet

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/779764

Chill
March 6th

OK just looking to vent here.
I just ordered some masks so that I can comply with the State Mandate to wear a mask while at the store or when near others. What really burns me is that I was charged SALES TAX. Here is something being mandated and we still get TAXED on it. They should be considered clothing and not taxed because they are essential.

Well, now I feel a little better.

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
6 days ago

What kind? Where' you get them, can you post on OPEN thread.

I want the disposable surgical ones and last I ordered, they accepted, waited five days to say: "ooops, all out....."

Everywhere I look online says reserved for medical staff.

And yes, that's my vent :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
6 days ago

4paws - you think for a minute that the State was going to miss an opportunity to collect sales tax income? I completely agree with your thought, but there was no way this administration (or any other for that matter) would turn down the opportunity to tax something. Remember, these are the same people that allowed marijuana to be the only taxed prescription in the State, and deemed liquor stores to be essential services.

During last 2 month all my 4 orders from Joann Fabric got cancelled, each after being "processed" for 11-14 days: 2 orders with shipping to my home, 2 orders - store pickups. If warehouse and store have nothing in stock, why I am getting promotional and discounts emails every day? I even received a few "please review the item you have purchased" requests, the items they never shipped.

SD, I ordered washable cloth masks, nothing fancy, to replace my dwindling disposable "paper" masks. I am getting them, I hope, from NorthernTool.com They say they should ship in about 8 days.

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
6 days ago

Re: Venting 2020

At Alumni this afternoon on the hatchery part: Some people seem to think they are entitled to pick plants on State land and just bring it home. This woman actually was pulling plants out from the ponds root and all. I hope someone knows who they are and explain to them that this is not their private garden center.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
5 days ago

Yes, some people are going loco...

Just one thought Walking Girl - were they possibly harvesting an invasive plant like Garlic Mustard, Purple Loosestrife, or Ailanthus? Its usually best to dispose of those root systems intact in garbage bags so they don't proliferate elsewhere, so that could look like someone taking plants home for their yard for sure.
But I wouldn't doubt people just taking stuff, this situation has seemed to bring out some very poor behavior and vandalism on public lands.

kepa ~ that would be nice if that's what they were doing but A. They don't work for the State and B. I pretty sure they just wanted to take it home.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
5 days ago

Ah true- the state doesnt have any money to harvest invasives though, much of that is done by infomed volunteers, landowners, and local groups such as Restorenativeplants.org or groups like Riverkeepers etc.
Probably wishful thinking though, cant quite see in the pic what they're removing. I'd be happy to engage with anyone I saw doing that if it wasnt clearly Garlic Mustard or something they were taking.

So sick of the Karens in this world. Sigh...

Calico696 Calico696
5 days ago

Strangerdanger...The home shopping networks are selling disposable masks. QVC and ShopTV are two that I saw just today. ShopTV also has all types of hand sanitizers, face shields and UV sanitizing items. I think they are expensive, but people are buying.

USAfirst USAfirst
5 days ago

Strangerdanger...Just saw disposable masks on sale on HSN. Options of 50 or 100 count.

USAfirst USAfirst
5 days ago

I agree. Either you have to deal with those Karen's, or those Lisa's that have 10 guns and want to shoot you and your dog if it pees on their lawn. The same type that would shoot you for taking a flower from their yard, but have no problem with someone stealing them from a state park.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
5 days ago

Thanks folks, I guess I will be trying to order from a company I have never heard from per your inputs. Never thought I would be buying my surgical mask from NorthernTool; aint' Amerika grand. Can't even get masks from our medical supply chains. Plain ole paper masks.... Yet Ford thinks I want to buy a truck.....

5 days ago

Panther Pharmacy had boxes of 50 masks for $40.............just a little more than the 50 I finally got - ordered thru Amazon - that took a month to get here.........

4catmom 4catmom
5 days ago

Shop Rite in Mansfield has disposable surgical face masks. Had a large bin near the resgisters.

outsider outsider
5 days ago

I've seen the masks in many stores in town including Quick Check, Shoprite, and Wawa.

Rob Durana Rob Durana
5 days ago

Quick Chek on Mountain have had a whole display case of masks last week. Had adult sizes and kids sizes. Not sure how long their supply lasted or it they kept getting them in stock. But they had a display case right when you walked in.

SD~ I’ve been making fabric masks to donate to the local health care facilities. If you need any, I can drop some off.

Baci’s mom Baci’s mom
5 days ago

Thank you Baci, but please use your worthy efforts to give them to those more in need. I am OK, thinking ahead, and, if needed, can "roll my own." Us ex-hippies have buckets of bandannas :>) Just waiting to see those American factories to come back in a big way. Maybe you ARE the plan on how we are bringing factories back :>) Thanks again, appreciated.

5 days ago

The masks at Shop Rite in Mansfield that are in a large bin near the self checkout are a pack of 10nfor $14.99. There were plenty of them around 11am today.

Make_it_stop Make_it_stop
5 days ago

Although the picture is blurry, the person at the top looks like they're carrying wild mustard. It's invasive, but not nearly as dangerous to local soil as garlic mustard or Japanese knotweed.

If I'm walking in a park and see an invasive like garlic mustard sometimes I pull it by the root, considering parks staff will probably never do this.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
5 days ago

Think it tis the season for many a outdoor delicacy from ramps to fiddleheads to dandelion greens. You never know.

4 days ago

Let me start off my vent by saying since I have been working at home due to the Covid-19 pandemic that I love listening to WRNJ as I work (Dave Kelber in the morning and Greta Latonia in the afternoon are great and seem to genuinely like what they do).

My vent is towards the end of every hour a song just started playing and is interrupted in mid-song for the ABC News update. Shouldn't the station just play an extra commercial before the news starts or have the DJ do some small talk leading up to the news? Several times this week a good song was playing and interrupted in the middle by news.

Mr. Worth get it together and fix that problem that occurs over and over each hour, leading up to the news!

reisident08
5 hours ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Venting 2020
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.