Homebrew University

Does anyone know what happened to Homebrew University on Main Street?

Jules Jules
Feb '20

I would bet out of business.

With 2 day delivery from amazon of everytging you need to brew at home, I’m thinking they’re out of business. I am honestly surprised it lasted as long as it did. I didn’t think that hobby was large enough to support a brick and mortar location. Now, if anyone replies that they moved to a bigger, swankier location, I take that all back :)

Consigliere
Feb '20

Very sorry to hear if that’s true. They were super nice people and we purchased a beer class gift certificate for some family members at Christmas. A little disappointed that we paid and our gift cannot be used.

Jules Jules
Feb '20

the phone number is out of service. i have used homebrew a few times. a very nice but small shop.
cask and kettle in boonton has all my brewing needs. i would only use amazon for a kit and if it was at a very low discounted price.
i prefer finding recipes online and usually will tweak a bit. like my peanut butter ipa i bottled a few weeks ago.
cask and kettle will mill the grains and they have nearly everything and good prices.
hopefully Warren is well and will be back in business one way or another. a very nice gent

Why make beer when you have two breweries within a stone throw.

Why make your own meals, when there are so many restaurants within a stones throw?

Craftbeerlover Craftbeerlover
Feb '20

Good one craftbeerlover.

Why go to a craft brewery when you can go to Bottle King?

love2brew in North Brunswick is a mile from work. I go there all the time. They have great recipes and a wealth of knowledge. I just kegged a Belgian quad that is supposed to be like Westvetleren 12. It's tasty. Amazon may have everything, but they're not going to tell you why a recipe didn't work out, your water chemistry, or if you had the wrong temp.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '20

Re: Homebrew University

At $6 for a 12 ounce pour thats $60 a gallon. I brew three gallon batches at about $25-30 cost. Three gallons of beer at a brewery costs $180 of course a bit less if bought in growlers.
My beers are very good and I enjoy the whole process.
From chosing a recipe, buying the ingredients, brewing and bottling. And perhaps as much fun is naming the beer and making our own labels. And the most fun is doing it all with my sweetheart.

Really sucks that my brew session that I bought at Christmas was a total waste of money. A warning of closure would have been nice to try use our certificate.

Lisa
Feb '20

try contacting him on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/warren.wilson3

Puzzled
Feb '20

I posted this over on the Hackettstown Facebook forum, but I wanted to drop in my 2c for the Lifers:

I can tell you as a fellow business owner, no one plans to go out of business. He was probably depending on those Christmas sales to push the business through the less-busy first quarter. If your business is going downhill, how do you reverse that? By selling more product, not by telling people the business is failing.

But clearly it didn't work in this case. Maybe it was a family issue, maybe it was a surprise jump in rent; we can't know, and shouldn't be so quick to judge him or his business.

He's heartbroken that the business has to close, and I'm heartbroken along with him.

I've reached out to him to see if we can do something here at Man Skirt Brewing to help make up for your purchases. If you have purchased a session, message me here or at joe@manskirtbrewing.com and we'll talk.

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Feb '20

Thank you Joe. Well said.

Rusty Rusty
Feb '20

Very nice of you Joe. Nice to see your beers on restaurant menus now.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '20

Two thumbs up to Joe!

BeerFan
Feb '20

Thank you for saying that, Joe. It's tough to understand the roller coaster of being a business owner without first hand knowledge but it is NOT for the faint of heart. Very sad to see such a unique business go.

Somechick1 Somechick1
Feb '20

Sad when any business fails. Hopefully he bounces back. Yes, being a business owner ids not for the weak.

Once again Joe shows that he is a class act. Cheers, my friend!

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '20

Any recommendation for other homebrew shops in the area. Say a half hour drive

Might be more than a half hour drive, but it's a great shop.

https://www.brewhardware.com
135 Main Street, Suite B, Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889

Craftbeerlover Craftbeerlover
Feb '20

Isn't he going into business with someone else and perhaps another brewery somewhere?

@Deal - Source?

somechick1 somechick1
Feb '20

Cask and Kettle in Boonton is another
I use them and think they are perfect for my needs
35 minutes from Homebrew U according to google maps

http://www.ckhomebrew.com/

I saw a sign going up in the Homebrew location for a place called Papi's. Anyone know what type of business it will be? I hope not another pizza place!

Warren got a gig at a new brewery and hop farm https://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/entertainment/dining/2020/12/16/readington-brewery-and-hop-farm-njs-first-open-spring/3884603001/

When I walked by the other day I saw the sign at the old Home brew Location - it said "Papis Convenience Smoke Shop" I think.

hiker hiker
Jan '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.