I'm cursed by Oak Island

Anyone else been sucked into "the most watched island treasure hunting reality shown filmed in Nova Scotia?" Like Ghost Hunters without the ghosts, it's all about the personalities......except this time there's no Brian to melt down.

What I like most is how is season 1, it's pretty hardscrabble and now in season 7 we have "bump-outs" into the ocean, ground-radar, percussion-radar, yuge excavators, swamp draining, bore-hole drilling, millions and millions $$$$ in investment.

But it's not about the money, it's about the people, the memories, and the fact that each week we basically end up with squat and softly say: "please sirs, can I have some more...…"

I laugh, I cry, it becomes a part of me. Anyone else?

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '20

I think moonshiners is much better or maybe ice truckers

bug3
Feb '20

I like the story and legend but don’t watch read online of big findings

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Feb '20

I love the show!

I cant believe what progress they are making now. Its a fantastic show.

Sandy Tomlinson Sandy Tomlinson
Feb '20

Also sucked in, I keep hoping for the seventh person to die so the treasure can be found already! I curse my brother in law for telling me about this show years ago

eapos eapos
Feb '20

Some of the ages of the things they find can change history books as we know them.

Roywhite Roywhite
Feb '20

I do like the show, but.......

- the treasure was found years ago by the black ex-slave, OI landowner, and really rich guy.....they’ve mentioned him but never researched him
- Nova Scotia will let you dig anywhere
- the seventh person has died last season.....Blakenship??
- we will find JFK alive in a Knights Templar underground city
- the searchers will discover that current residents keep dropping old things
- the entire team will find wood at the same time

That’s our favorite; “I’ve got wood!” Happens every show. Hard to miss. Sticks out.

But, for fans, the big question: Oak Island shape: duck, dog, or something else. I say duck, wife says dog.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Feb '20

Just finished with season 5. Still enjoying it a lot but I am noticing it’s getting more and more “rehearsed”with some of the dialogue. Still a great show. Gary Drayton is a piece of work.
And could someone give these guys some new shirts?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '20

I’ve watched since the beginning getting tired of finding wood and boat nails along with other small things.

Same with @Lisa - as I started to predict they are not going to find the 'treasure/money pit'...anytime soon (the series started 2014...6 years ago)...like finding Big Foot or the Lochness Monster.

How can they NOT find it with all the machines and technology over a small island, 140-acres? Poleese --- It's more a 'cash pit' from the viewer's pocket to theirs.

Nothing wrong enjoying the entertainment, however keeping it's reality closer to fiction.

aol123@aol.com aol123@aol.com
Apr '20

It takes forever because they need all kinds of permits for everything. Plus you can't just dig one huge pit. There's water running underground that could make things unstable so they have to do things strategically. My guess is though the island was just a temporary storage area. Why would the depositors just leave it there? Would any of us dig an elaborate treasure trove just to leave it there for people 3 centuries later to find?

Metsman Metsman
Apr '20

I've found better stuff than they do in the back of my shed

eapos eapos
Apr '20

You didn't find a european templar cross from the 1400’s back there.
But I do think with all the time and tech they use it would be pretty tough not to have already found something if it was there.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '20

I found an 1816 Spanish silver coin and an 1775 British halfpenny in my yard. Better than watching fake stuff on tv. :)

It’s fake?

Apr '20

Metsman, it's happened many, many times. Most often, it's because the person/people who put the treasure there simply died. Happens a lot, during wartime. Also, years ago, it was far more common for ships to sink in storms with all hands lost, and for people to die quickly from illnesses or injuries. There are plenty of stories, from recent years, of people finding buried Roman treasures or WWII loot.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Apr '20

I just think they would have found more stuff by now. They've drilled so many holes and brought up core samples that you would think they'd have found more by now. They have proven there was a tunnel system that pre-dates the searchers but I'm not sure much is left as far as treasure goes unless they've somehow been digging around it all this time.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '20

I think they are trying to be respectful and careful. They need permits now for everything it seems and certainty want to not destroy whatever is below in the process. But part of me want them to just dig it up already!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '20

There may be nothing there to find. Maybe it was never made to hold treasure. Maybe it was, but the treasure was never brought there. Maybe the treasure was removed shortly after it was placed. Maybe the "treasure" was just a bunch of documents that rotted long ago. Maybe someone found and removed the treasure a hundred years ago.

Or maybe the treasure was all locked in one small, well-hidden strongbox, and they just didn't happen to find the right spot, yet.

That's all part of the fun and mystery of a treasure hunt.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Apr '20

I'm not going to get sucked in. How come they can't find a treasure using the latest heavy equipment and technology, that was buried by 15th/16th century manual labor?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Apr '20

MeisterNJ

Don't forget that the pyramids were built even further in the past than that, with elaborate traps, etc. in them. They even knew how to build structures that were earthquake resistant in ancient Rome. Presumably, these tunnels were made by the Crusaders or the Masons, possibly both, so many of the more advanced Engineers of the day may have been responsible for its design and construction. But then again, perhaps not.

I think it's interesting to go back to an earlier episode where descendants of the earliest people to find the tunnel came forth with a relic that had been found. At that time I remember they also mentioned that their ancestors had found some chests there. Of course they never mentioned exactly what was in them or whether those chests had been rehidden...

I read the same article the brothers did many years ago and had always both followed information through the years. I also read books devoted to the mystery and wondered the same things they did.

Now if they could only have someone focus on whether or not the Beale Treasure, supposedly hidden in Virginia, is real or just a set of ciphers that were meant to either throw people off or just be a huge prank.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '20

The reason I watch the show is the same reason I watched the original Ghost Hunters; it's not about finding something, it's about the people and their journey. Finding things is just icing on the cake. With Ghost Hunters, when Brian-the-angry left, the show was dinged a bit, but when Jason exited, it was over. The chemistry and complexion has changed. With Oak Island, the quirky Lagina brothers along with, as noted above, the English whack job, Mr. Bobby-Dazzler-Top-Pocket finder, and the rest are the reason I watch. Seeing a bunch of men exalting "I've got wood," never gets old although the tough-lady driller stating, "let's slap some cans" gets really close :>) No one can script that kind of reality :>)))

As to things found....they have found a lot of history --- boat ramps, burned/sunken ships, tunnels n traps, lots of old metal and much more. Plus, as noted above, those two ladies brought some jewelry back, talk of a couple chests, and the templar cross.

Why can't they find more --- well they are forced to drill small holes, larger can-based holes, and only this year did the use 8-foot cans. It's like wildcat drilling and you don't strike oil often even with the best information.

That said, sure, it does seem like we are just being strung along as the Lagina's serve their main purpose --- ratings to get the budgets to get all those marvelous machines including their incredible SUVs to make us smile and entertained.

You have to give some credit; I am pretty sure they started with a lot of their own cash invested, and only this year did the really big stuff come out. Could have just as easily gone broke early. Yet they certainly fake some. Like the 8 foot cans. When they "came a cropper" (used in honor of the english twit) on the first 8-ft can hole, with Fall coming, and some time on their hands, voilà, they discover the second "perfect" spot in minutes and drill again. Instant research!! Yeah, like that's gonna work.

I give a little buffer since their moments of ineptitude show they're human.

Permits --- this ain't like America, they get em pretty darned quick and easy. The Island looks like a swiss cheese version of the moon. Careful archeologists -- I have yet to see a paint brush, much less a toothbrush used. It's chainsaw archeology at best. Sure speeds things up for us and I like it!

So, what do we know. Many early visits. Sunken ship. Something buried. Strange workings, man-made swamp, boat ramp, off-loading rock wharf,1598 coin (earlier find), coconut fiber construction, traps, and tunnels. Lots of proof early visitors there.

However, even though they know many folks have visited and done stuff on the Island, they can't pinpoint any of the who or what's --- they just guess, sometimes wildly flailing assumptions all over the place.

And the one thing they rarely talk about ---- Samuel Ball. Born into slavery in 1765, escaped, joined the Brit's in NY, made his way to Nova Scotia around 1784, became a "cabbage farmer" on Oak Island, and dies with 100 acres, 36 on OI and an entire Island. There is no proof the British ever paid off in land in NScotia. He pays 4x for each of his 36 acres on OI that he would of paid on the mainland so he can farm cabbage. Rumors of paying in Spanish coin, Anthony Vaughn -treasure hunter - was his executor, witness was John Barkhouse, possible treasure hunter forbearer, so did Samuel, with or without these men, come up with some coin? He certainly at least watched them dig. 100 acres, cattle --- from escaped slave to wealthy man.....

I can only think ratings would be the reason the bro's leave this one untouched.

http://oakislandsociety.ca/history-oak-island/
http://oakislandsociety.ca/samuel-ball-man-substance-oak-island-1765-1846/

Apr '20

"it's not about finding something, it's about the people and their journey."

As if every single show on tv, for decades, hasn't been 100% scripted.

Told what to say, how to act, how to move their arms, their facial expressions.. right down to the smallest minutia.

I have to admit that I am more intrigued with the cultural aesthetics of watching paint dry then to waste my time watching the Curse of Oak Island.

Woke 2020
Apr '20

When I clicked on this thread I had no idea it was about a show. I'm always surprised at how much programming people watch. With no sports being played, our TV has been turned off for so long I don't even know if it still works. LOL

"As if every single show on tv, for decades, hasn't been 100% scripted."

Especially the news. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '20

But not sports, no scripting there. Why do people go so far out of their way to make others feel bad about harmless things they enjoy? Just can’t get a handle on it like you do. Course you probably have a handle on about everything, all the time.

Not that it matters, entertainment is entertainment, but the Laginas are real, they are not fake, they are not actors. Tell us where the act is? The scripting? They had a history about this, long before this. Follow the money, they didn’t start this for pay. They are not reading from a script, and if it was staged, they would do a better, more exciting job than this.

If they were actors, Civil War Gold would be a hit. Kevin Burns, the documentary producer of the show, says and proves you’re wrong. Take a look.

As far as paint drying, sure, it’s an opinion, you’re allowed. From a guy who took the time to read this thread. Think about it.

Apr '20

Calico696 if your TV has been off what the heck have you been doing? Playing beer pong?

Metsman Metsman
Apr '20

LOL, Metsman. I've actually never played beer pong in my life. I'm working remotely most of the day. I have been getting quite a bit of exercise, cleaning out cabinets, closets and drawers and reading books.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '20

Strangerdanger, I agree with you. Based upon the information you shared and the numerous mentions on the show, I believe the “treasure” or at least some portion was discovered by former slave Samuel Ball. I find the archeological digs around the foundation of his house to be fascinating. I hope we get more information about the pending permits to further dig on his property. I wonder if “cabbage” farming is being used literally or figuratively.

D’s 4
Apr '20

Very true, that's another item that was shortly touched on by the show, but then abandoned it seems as they concentrated on the swamp and money pit area. Samuel Ball's story is intriguing to say the least!

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '20

Ask and you shall receive; I believe the next episode will touch Ball's part in all this. I can hear it now: "We got wood but no Ball's!" As a pretty good genealogy researcher, I am amazed what I can sometimes come up with for free. With nothing more than a grandfather's name, I have peered inside the house of my great, great, grandparents and discovered many stories of their lives thanks to newspapers that are like swearless-twitter feeds of their day. Can't imagine what I could find if I dropped a dime on it. So, yeah, they are going back to 1780, but that's only 70 years earlier than I and if I could crack Church records, I could get there easily. And they have the money to do that and so much more.... So I expect either some answers OR that they fund a research project to discover some truth. I mean if these guys could boondoggle to Europe on these Templar leads, come on, show us the money. Ball had it, he spent it, and it weren't from cabbage profits.

But again, it's about the personalities, the journey, and......if those Restall's last week were completely scripted, that's some really poor writing.....Just can't imagine returning to the spot where you lived in a shack and saw your brother and father die cursed by Oak Island. That's some a frackin incredible real moment.....even with some scripting and a lot of editing.

It is what it is, it makes me laugh, cry, I become a part of it ---- that's entertainment! Gotta go slap some cans to find wood now.....c ya.

Apr '20

Watched since day one!

Sandy Tomlinson Sandy Tomlinson
Apr '20

Re: I'm cursed by Oak Island

I like Rick & Marty but Freemason's took that treasure out of there long ago.

They are better off looking at the dude across the table at that Barkhouse dude and asking him where is it? He is not flagging those colors for nothing - Square & Compass - total scumbags. They are letting them dig a dry hole and he is just saying - you aint gonna find it .

Maybe Rick and Marty are Freemason's - and they are laughing at the viewers but once I saw that hat knew they will never find it. Long gone.

Peace out

SD, do you mean an amateur genealogical researcher, or do you take on clients? I’d be interested in hiring you if you’re a professional.

Consigliere
Apr '20

Consigliere

GC and I also have spent many years (40 in my case) doing Genealogical Research. SD will have to answer as to their qualifications, etc. I was thinking about working towards certification, but always seem to have too many irons in the fire to do that. GC on the other hand, may have become a certified genealogy consultant.

If you wish you can also do it on your own, but there are a number of pitfalls, especially if you go online and use someone's posted "research" that doesn't include primary sources, such as birth, death, marriage and baptismal certificates. I've found a number of errors in the LDS site, which they normally don't fix either, so one has to be wary and double check everything you find!

As a hobby, it is engrossing and forever ongoing. Once you catch that bug it's all over, you just can't stop. A good way to start though, is to list all you know and what you have physical records for, then interview your parents and up, as well as aunts, uncles... . I'm sure you get the picture. You can also use the free resources at various local libraries to start and build your family tree. MyheritageDNA and Ancestry.com allow you to build a tree and connect with DNA relatives, which I've found interesting in some of the connections I've found that solved some questions while bringing up others.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.