Snow - 01/18/20

I just got home and haven’t seen the news. Anyone else hearing reports for snow this Saturday. The app on my phone says 5-8”.

Brian, anything on your radar?

TheSoundGuy TheSoundGuy
Jan '20

Re: Snow - 01/18/20

BOO!!

Last Sat was really nice. Went searching with my friend and he found this-


Josh, I'm not a collector but that really seems like a find!! Is it as valuable as I would imagine?

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jan '20

From the NWS:

For Friday night through Saturday night, a period of accumulating snow is probable across much of the area. A change to a wintry mix and even rain should occur from south to north for much of the area. The details however remain less certain as does the impacts, however if you will be traveling across the region keep up to date on the latest forecast.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '20

Still your friend?

Very good condition it appears.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '20

4 dark out predictions:
Dark sky: 3 - 6
Acccuweather: 2.2
WeatherNJ on Fb: "Double digits"

Others?

@TheSoundGuy - what app are you using?

4of4
Jan '20

"Very good condition it appears."

Here are some comparisons for value purposes:

https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/274/small-cents/indian-head-cent/1860-P/

I'd say the one Josh found is probably in the $10-15 range, as it does show some wear but is still legible (at least on that one side...)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '20

Bring on the snow! Better to have 'normal' January weather than to have the storms showing up in March and April.

Nice find Josh's friend!

hktownie hktownie
Jan '20

Wow! A pre-civil war...penny? Dime? Pretty cool find. We’re you wearing your Hamilton explorer watch?

I don’t mind the snow when it’s on a weekend. I think we’ve been pretty fortunate this year so far. Last weekend was unreal.

Consigliere
Jan '20

It's an Indian Head Penny.

Had one once with the $10 value, except if leaf branch was broken, $350. Wish I had read the value pages more closely before the penny walked off.... :>(

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jan '20

I'm skeptical. I see this is more of an ice/mix storm after some snow to start. The pattern afterwards does improve though (if you like snow).

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '20

Good luck with that double digits forecast from WeatherNJ...was never really viable.

Route 46
Jan '20

Latest from the NWS:

For Saturday through Saturday night, a period of accumulating snow is probable across much of the area. A change to a wintry mix and even rain should occur from southeast to northwest for much of the area. The details however remain less certain as does the impacts, however if you will be traveling across the region keep up to date on the latest forecast.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '20

Re: Snow - 01/18/20

from Intellicast weather -(watching because we have to drive a friend to the airport Saturday:

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '20

The pros (Weather Works) weigh in: https://youtu.be/M2OjLU8ekV0

TL;DW: 6 - 8 hours of snow starting mid-morning. 3 models indicating snow for our area. 3-6" maybe. Plowable. Not major

4of4
Jan '20

Looking like 3-5” during the day with an addition inch Saturday night.

Consigliere
Jan '20

taking the wee ones snow tubing in the poconos early Saturday morning after spending all day Friday at the Great Wolf water park. Anyone know if the forecast for the Tannersville area is more snow or less snow than locally?

ianimal ianimal
Jan '20

More snow, maybe 6+ especially at the top.


Thanks, iJay... weather.gov has been (and still is) very non-committal with respect to local snow amount forecasts.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '20

Dr. Edge says 2-4".

http://edgeweather.com

AccuWeather says 2-4" for H'town and 4-8" for Oxford.

NWS saying 2-4".

EPAWA will put out a first call map at 5 pm today.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '20

Right now they say 2-4 locally, 3-5 Poconos, subject to change...


It's the changeover to rain that is concerning....

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jan '20

Storm track isn't good for all snow so just beware of anyone who is saying those higher amounts. But at worst winter is coming back and it looks to have some staying power this time around.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '20

Any idea what time it starts? Hosting afternoon party with 50 people - few people traveling from NY


Probably a good idea to cancel the party......safety first. Let your guests get their bread and milk and have their own party in the sanctuary of their homes.

Joseph Joseph
Jan '20

Re: Snow - 01/18/20

Cancel?
50+ people? now that there isn't just a snowball fight that there is a snowball PARTY!!!


Haha I agree with CBGB! What fun!


BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Jan '20

You can find the EPAWA first call maps here:

http://epawaweather.com/2020/01/16/saturday-overrunning-storm/

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '20

Latest NWS briefing:

https://www.weather.gov/media/phi/current_briefing.pdf

Looks like around 3" locally and 5" for ianimal...


NWS also says 90% chance of >3 , 10% chance >5 and 5 for Darrin. Hold the ice, no ice! Finally. Sounds, so far, like a nice snow. Finally!

And then into the icebox till Thursday, probably Friday. Not brutal, brutal, but M-T pretty nippy. Button up buttercup. Check on the older and stuff.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '20

Dud!

Consigliere
Jan '20

Not saying it's a huge storm, but we're just in a break in the radar. Hours more to go. Roads covered quickly at the start.

maja2 maja2
Jan '20

Not a dud for the 2 cars that got into a wreck on route 80 20 minutes ago. Praying they are ok.

Rhonda Rhonda
Jan '20

Be careful on 80 East multiple car pile up near Rockaway East bound is about closed


Dud? It's exactly what was forecasted.

4of4
Jan '20

Drew, do you know if that's before the mall heading East or after?

littlelu littlelu
Jan '20

"Dud? It's exactly what was forecasted."

Yup. Not sure why anyone would think we were going to get 6+ inches of snow.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '20

Agree, Calico. My husband is out shoveling and snow blowing for his job. He probably won’t get home until the wee hours of the morning. However, he is grateful for the overtime. Pretty sure all the plowers and shovelers are grateful as well.

Someone’s inconvenience is another person’s dinner. Lol

Positive Positive
Jan '20

So true, Positive. My husband got called out at 11:15 this morning and is still not home yet.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '20

Air temps STILL in the 20's from central Warren/Morris Counties on northward. Ground is frozen solid. That is a problem for our area roadways which will require multiple rounds of deicing overnight. Was driving Route 31 around 8PM tonight from Flemington to Oxford and there was this persistent freezing mist out there putting a light glaze on everything. Not sure if that is still an issue at this hour?

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Jan '20

Yup, still going on Lenny. Everything is freezing up now.

Say goodbye to our unusual Florida weather

Positive Positive
Jan '20

Re: Snow - 01/18/20

No rapid improvement to area roadways during the overnight as temps are expected to slowly rise and hover right around freezing until daybreak Sunday. Low 30's now into southern Sussex County as of 11PM.

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Jan '20

We got 2" maybe... Pitiful. News 12 made it seem like a damn blizzard showing the piles that were made from the dusting shovelled off sidewalks. Hopefully better luck next weekend.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Jan '20

You want snow, move to Newfoundland. They got plenty.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jan '20

They have nor called the mid-Atlantic states the Banana Belt since at least the 1970s for no reason.


Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Snow - 01/18/20
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.