Real ID license

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/12/more-mvc-agencies-issuing-real-id-licenses-but-you-cant-get-it-before-st-patricks-day.html

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Dec '19

Better to just get a passport...much easier

Bug3
Dec '19

"Better to just get a passport...much easier"

Exactly. I think everyone should have a passport. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it IMO.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

It is annoying tho to carry around two pieces of ID especially how bulky passports are.

Another fail by our NJ Governor for not being able to comply in time with a horrible rollout.

Hjjk
Dec '19

“especially how bulky passports are”

You can get a passport card, which is good for domestic air travel and land/sea crossings to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean Islands.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '19

Passports are bulky? Who carries their passport around anyway? You only need it when you leave the country, or in the future to get on a plane if you don't have a Real ID.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

What do you need to renew your license these days? Isn't a birth certificate and 2 other things enough (w/o a Passport)?

Hackresident Hackresident
Dec '19

Passport will make it much easier to get a real id license

Bug3
Dec '19

Washington MVC now scheduling beta-testing appointments to obtain a Real ID...

https://mymvc.state.nj.us/realid-scheduling-system/welcome.xhtml?custId=3830

ianimal ianimal
Jan '20

go quick, they are disappearing fast.....

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jan '20

Seriously, what is the variant for "illegals"? What do the call the non-Real ID?

All residents regardless of status need the same 6 points of ID in order to get a regular license. This license is not the higher level "RealID" needed to get on a plane. If you are never going to fly, then no problem, stick with this one.

The added items needed for "RealID" will preclude illegal residents from obtaining one, which I assume means they will not be able to fly.

musicgal musicgal
Jan '20

Re: illegal residents flying without RealID :
https://www.google.com/amp/s/usa.inquirer.net/9301/undocumented-immigrants-face-real-id-act/amp

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jan '20

"Americans will have two more years to obtain a Real ID driver’s license or identification card, the Department of Homeland Security announced Monday.

U.S. air travelers will be required to present the Real ID credential to board a domestic flight beginning May 7, 2025. Before Monday’s announcement, implementation had been scheduled to take effect next May."

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Dec '22

We got real Ids. To say it was a pain is being extremely polite..Finding an appointment takes forever…..everyone at DMV has the same time……you need exactly the paperwork they tell you…you will spend hours….why we did it I do not know as we have passports
Bottom line…if you have a passport do not waste your time.
DMV needs a total redo by someone who understands systems….ugh

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '22

I highly recommend using the U.S. Passport Card for ID at domestic airports. You can apply for it separately or when renewing your passport book.

Super Fly
Dec '22

I attempted to get this real ID license. After waiting the 3 months after I could finally get an appointment, I had to go to Flemington. When I originally obtained my Social Security Card, way back when I was 17, I used my Confirmation name as a middle name and so I have my SS Card with that name on it. My driver’s license does not, only first and last, birth certificate only first and last etc. I can’t get the new license until I change my SS card. Same goes for my husband. Not happening, I probably won’t ever fly again anyway.

justwondering justwondering
Dec '22

just wondering--- get a passport or passport id.......

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '22

@4carmom, I may look into a passport, thank you.

justwondering justwondering
Dec '22

I thought the Real ID was required for flight, even if you had a passport already. Good to know! Maybe I’ll pursue a passport instead as this Real
ID thing still seems like a giant mess.

There's been a 2-year extension on the deadline to obtain a REAL ID for airplane travel, so you've got time...

ianimal ianimal
Dec '22

At 65 years old NJ DMV has over 45 years of my documentation thru the years of Licenses & Registrations with all my addresses!
So why do I constantly have to prove who I am with multiple documents time after time!
I guess if I was an illegal alien with NO documentation, I would get waved to the front of the line getting a Real ID pronto!!

russ carlero russ carlero
Dec '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Real ID license
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.