Power out in Great Meadows 12/2

The power flickered and went out at 5:45 Nothing yet from JCP&L.

Murof
Dec '19

We.called it in and we were told 3pm tomorrow. The entire sky lit up three times!

Mom23 Mom23
Dec '19

I live on Mt. Lake Rd. and our power went out about a half hour ago.

Linda
Dec '19

Power out in Vienna. Called JCP&L and restore time 9 o’clock.

Dndp
Dec '19

Where in GM?

Sport
Dec '19

We just called and jcp&l says 9pm

We just lost power on Alphano.

Just came back on 46 near nykun’s

Power back on here in Great Meadows but still flickering.

murof
Dec '19

Power came back and now has gone off again in Great Meadows. C'mon JCP&L.

mike l mike l
Dec '19

Went off twice quickly and right back on. I feel for those who have power out. It's extra cold with snow out. I don't get how some people are calling this a bust. Ice and snow and snow and snow and more to come.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '19

Power out on Mount Rascal.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Dec '19

Power out in Great Meadows again for the third time this night.JCP&L states it will be out until Tuesday afternoon.Same old story from a very mismanaged power company.

Murof
Dec '19

Power distribution system = Antiquated. Needs upgrade.....

Embryodad Embryodad
Dec '19

Fallen trees and tree branches onto electrical wires presents a major problem. Since there is no competition, JCP&L will never invest relocating the distribution system underground. Between snow and ice storms, tropical storms, and thunder storms this area in Warren County loses power way too often.

mike l mike l
Dec '19

Sections of Schooleys Mtn/LV without electricity.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Dec '19

Re: Power out in Great Meadows 12/2

This speaks volumes about JCP&L...

thomasnj thomasnj
Dec '19

Does anyone know if great Meadows middle school will change to a cancellation instead of a two hour delay. I can't seem to open their website. Thanks.

Magpie Magpie
Dec '19

It finally opened and they did. Must have been working on it.

Magpie Magpie
Dec '19

GMRSD is closed today

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Dec '19

Thomasnj..

JCPL has 3x the area than those other utilities

Bug3
Dec '19

I gather a lot of GM went out again? Failure at Janes Chapel/46 just appeared again.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Dec '19

As of now, there is no restoration time listed on the First Energy website for power to return to Great Meadows. :( The joys of living in western NJ. No power = no water (well), no heat. Oh well, the kids can rough it - at home. Just like we did when we were young.

That’s an “it depends.” Yes GM:Janes Chapel:46, has no restoration, but the other 100-500 like on Hope/GM have etr for today.

Think Russeling Rd came up, Barkers is “dispatched,” perhaps there is some action. Meanwhile the outages are outpacing the restores and the wind is rising.

And even H-town does not have restore times; that’s unusual.

It is Christmas-miracle time.

Dec '19

Bug3,
Then they should have 3x the crews to support that large area. Or they should be getting crews in from other utility companies to help out. There are restoration times up in Newton that are around 12:30 tomorrow afternoon. And then there are the ones where there is no estimated time.

thomasnj thomasnj
Dec '19

Jc/46/gm now 6 or 6:30 pm today

There seems to be movement.

Dec '19

Crews are in Great Meadows and tackling some of the 1-20’s; there is hope. Three crews on beginning of Hope road. Ironic, ain’t it?

Dec '19

Where is the Governor? Get him out here to crack the whip. ...Where are the tree trimmers?? .... Where are the Inspectors during the nice weather?

i.e. Here in Hackettstown, in Kenwood, the T O W N Planted trees, and some of the trees are just about tickling the wires that carry the primary voltage. Not once in the past two summers, have I seen crews out trimming the tall branches that threaten tangling with wires. ..... "dzzzt!" "PoW!" "Crackle!" "Oh Oh!" "Darn it !"

Embryodad Embryodad
Dec '19

Thomasnj

The real problem is that population is SHRINKING in sussex and warren county...thus no incentive to upgrade electrical service

Bug3
Dec '19

I agree, where is the gov? Think we got it rough, Sussex has it 5 times worse. Even if all they could add pizza and hot coffee, it would help. This liberal says “sounds political” to me. Don’t respond please. We get it.

Meanwhile, since I’ve been checking GM because of this thread; I think there’s one crew knocking out the onesies, twosies, at a fast pace. Looks like 7 of em since noon. If you see em—-hot coco!!!!

Dec '19

We lost power on Thanksgiving Day! Turkey in the oven and people about to come over. Talk about stress!
I posted about it and it never got out there.
Wonder why some things get posted and some don’t?
Maybe the moderator doesn’t like me?

LivingLifeLovingLife LivingLifeLovingLife
Dec '19

"I posted about it and it never got out there.
Wonder why some things get posted and some don’t?
Maybe the moderator doesn’t like me?"

Your post is there. There weren't any replies, so it dropped back to page 2. People were probably just busy on the holiday and didn't see it.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

Calico696~
Thank you for clearing that up. I was starting to take that personally ;-)
Hope everyone gets power back soon and for good!

LivingLifeLovingLife LivingLifeLovingLife
Dec '19

JCP&L crews are out working to restore power in the Great Meadows area.Numerous crews of tree cutters are here working too.

murof
Dec '19

I agree, they are getting service. But the Janes Chapel fix assumed a number of those onesies fixed I talked about earlier and they are now listed ad back out, with an 11:30pm tomorrow Hopefully bogus time given the support is working pretty fast here now.

Dec '19

Power has just been restored, Marble Hill Rd area.

mike l mike l
Dec '19

Power back on in Great Meadows. Its about time.Now lets get caught up on all the deferred maintenance. This should not happen every time there is a storm.Cut down all overhanging trees and limbs along the power lines.

murof
Dec '19

You live in the boonies so I’m not sure what people expect?

It’s not like powers has been out for a week.

If you want more JCP&L staff you would need to expect to pay for that.

Nosila Nosila
Dec '19

I'm pleased at how quickly JCP&L acted on this. No complaints here. I choose to live in a rural, wooded area. I know trees on wires is a risk, so it's a risk I choose to take. There are likely hundreds of branches and trees down in Great Meadows alone. I'm impressed with JCP&L's response time.

4of4
Dec '19

The major gm outage is fixed but 50 families in Indy, most in GM, are still out.

It ain’t over yet and these folks have a difficult situation even if they have generators. Check your neighbors.

This one was well beyond clearing some trees. All sorts of things were popping

The first issue to get a clear, honest, communications system. Not one where etr commits are automatically generated and then changed multiple times, as in way too many times, seemingly at will and usually 15 minutes before the deadline. I mean come on, when I can look and see jcpl has not dispatched 15 minutes before the etr deadline, they ain’t gonna make the time. There are real people with families at the end of these communications that have to make critical decisions to shelter in place or flee. If it’s summer, it’s one thing, but it’s winter. Thank God the cold is not brutal.

I will say this; 35 years ago, it was worse out in the NJ country with less people around.

Dec '19

JCP&L has plenty of staffing.That company needs to get tree cutting companies to evaluate the power lines before bad weather causes problems.This is a problem that has gone on for years.Time to move forward and get proactive instead of reacting to storm damage that ALWAYS causes prolonged power outages. Regardless of where customers live providing good service should be a priority. In some places on the road where I live there are poles and transformers that were band aid repaired during the Northeaster and have not been correctly fixed to this day! Time to get your ass in gear JCP&L!

murof
Dec '19

It seems like every year JCP&L sends a tree company down our street to trim back trees or remove them. It's never going to be enough though.It's always going to be that tree that no one was expecting to fall/break.

I'm not defending them. They still need to work on being more transparent with their customers and having a quick response time. I lost power last night, but consider myself lucky that it was restored by this evening.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Dec '19

It will never be cost effective to trim the trees on rural roads serving just a few customers.

Our Power came on about 1:30am that was a FULL 24 hours without power... Very Happy that our generator kept on running... 10 plus years old and it is still humming along !!!!

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Dec '19

This one was weird in that Liberty actually got pretty prompt service. Usually they are first to go, last to come back.... Need a backhaul from Hope so you're not solely dependent on Oxford. That would be better than cutting any tree.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Dec '19

Remember, it's a numbers game. Send a crew for 4 hours and restore 500 versus a more remote location to restore 10. The biggest "bang for the buck" will always go first other than exceptions like hospitals, law enforcement, etc.

6pm, less than 5 out.

Dec '19

I dont care what is cost effective for JCP&L along a rural road.By the way there are more than a "FEW" customers along the road where I live.I pay the same electric bill as any other customer and I deserve to get good service.

murof
Dec '19

You don't care, but they don't care to spend an arm and a leg for rural customers. Revenue less expenses = profit. Your measly electric bill is not going to cover a paradigm shift in rural electric delivery.

Too bad about JCP&L.They can at least deliver quality service and make sure the trees and overhanging branches are routinely trimmed and maintained.I make them aware of lack of maintenance. They can and will do better.

murof
Dec '19

murof - I, I, I.......there's no I in team. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.app.com/amp/782547002

They spend money cutting down trees.

Jim L Jim L
Dec '19

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/jcpls-2019-tree-trimming-program-underway-300835929.html

Their 2019 spending on tree cutting

Jim L Jim L
Dec '19

I too am frustrated and I too agree that they can do better. However, some of this damage is from trees that came down (not overhanging branches) that are not in the right of way. I doubt that residents will accept that their trees that are 40 ft tall 20ft from the road that were planted for privacy or shade or whatever will now either be taken down or topped to ensure that they will not hit the wires if the tree falls. The road corridors would basically look like the areas around the transmission line towers that are devoid of pretty much anything taller than a few feet.

Every couple of years I get a notice on my door saying that JCP+L (via a tree service) will be trimming trees on my road...and they do.

summerhelp summerhelp
Dec '19

There is plenty that jcpl, our state government, can do to make the restoration process less frequent and more efficient, effective when needed.

Clearing a tree corridor would be not 40 feet, but 60 feet. I gave them 40 feet on my land and when that 60 footer came down, didn’t matter.

Plus, on this storm, many a house in Sussex lost it’s line from street to home, ripped right off the side of the house thus one reason for the slower recovery this time. There are over 700 individual outages up there in Sussex still.

Redundancy and resiliency can help. Resiliency is very important to understand. Jcpl does nothing in that regard. Clear, honest, forthcoming communications can help. It’s one thing to be out, it’s another to not really know what’s going on and to make decisions to protect your family based on lies. Very stressful. With the current communications, one has to learn how to see through the lies and translate them into a best bet for the truth. Like, on this one, the first etr for 5pm with 7,000 out, a very slow melt, mostly 1-20 outages, you knew; no way. When jcpl started defaulting on 500-1,500 location outages etrs, the translation was “it’s bad and they don’t have a clue.....again.” We are now on our fourth etr to 8pm today. That’s just incompetent communications.

These are things jcpl can improve and does not. The poor communications need to be fixed asap; the tools are in place, jcpl just lacks the desire, and perhaps the skill.

Dec '19

I absolutely agree that communications could be much improved. We have well water and get a notification from First Energy about weather that may impact their service. Our notification this time came as the storm was winding down.

During Sandy, there were many people out due to their service drops being damaged too which left them without service longer than everyone else.. No utility is going to make them a priority when there is damage to sub-transmission and/or distribution infrastructure.

I think that one way that they could improve their communication is to not give a restoration time as quickly as they do when there is storm damage. They really don't know what is going on until they get there and see the damage. During a storm maybe they should acknowledge that there is an outage reported and that a crew will be dispatched.

During non-storm events, give us an eta on restoration as they know how many crews are available and how localized the outage is when it is reported.

I am not defending them, I am pointing out some of the obstacles which also includes that sometimes the poles that come down are not theirs and they have to rely on Verizon or Century Link or whomever to replace the pole before they can put the wires back up.

PSE&G has issues too but I think that JCP+L can learn something from them in terms of investment in infrastructure.

summerhelp summerhelp
Dec '19

There is no easy way to notify thousands of customers other than a website...and there is no easy way to give a actual restoral time on a major storm Why?... because of multiple faults...its easy to estimate restoral time for a car hitting a pole...but in a major storm there might be 9 or 10 different locations in trouble...you cant see the second issue until you fix the first and so forth

Bug3
Dec '19

"There is no easy way to notify thousands of customers other than a website...and there is no easy way to give a actual restoral time on a major storm "

Nah....these guys are supposed to be professional.

On this one: the failure occurs --- instantly the machine generates a ert about 3 -3.5 hours out. About 2 hours is the average in the US so you can see how they calculate this and punt an etr so you won't bother them. There was absolutely no recognition that this was a real storm at this point by the process. It was the same as if only one tree fell in the entire county. Same estimate. The system did not see the storm.

Then a few hours later, the second etr comes out. It's bogus too. No chance in HECK for all those separate locations to be brought up. And, worse yet, they term the etr as "majority of customers." Since when is 51% the benchmark for effective restoration? Why didn't they just say: 49% of you suckers will be out still after this etr….

Two more etr punts later and we are at the current state. 8 pm tonight for the majority of customers. And guess what --- if you are out at 9pm, it's your fault for being in the minority..... That's 4 days, 4 etr's, and 4 complete failures to meet commitment.

No, that is not a good communications process. It is not fair. It is not honest. It is not professional. I fully understand that when the 500-1,500 in GM go out, come back and then fail again --- stuff happens. But, in this case, to paste the second failure with at 11pm fix, deliver like a 5pm fix (those times might not be right, but they certainly delivered early on the second etr) ------> you can't tell me they didn't know that the guys were on site and the fix was imminent. The data system updates every 15 minutes. I should feel good they delivered early? First, they always deliver early because they keep moving the goalpost. Second, imagine 20 years ago, they pull this same crap and you hear 11pm. It's a flippin blizzard. You have no generator, no wood stove, no heat and two single-digit aged kids. So, you bundle them up, head out on 46, actually end up four wheeling it to miss fallen trees, travel the ten miles to your relatives with power (thank God the phone worked before we left), only to return home to full power...…

A miss is a miss and they all can have collateral damage as we try to make the best decisions based on the current lies handed out. And no penalty for the lies either. It's bogus, it's institutionalized, and it has been this broken way for decades.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Dec '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.