Rutgers football

Rutgers University has failed again. They chose not to bring back Coach Schiano. The football team will continue to flounder at the bottom of the Big 10 for the next decade, or until the Big 10 dumps RU. So extremely disappointing.

Glenn S- RU ‘87 Glenn S- RU ‘87
Nov '19

Rutgers has a football team?

Bug3
Nov '19

In way over their heads in BIG … even Maryland (primarily a hoops school) blew them out on the banks of the old Rar-i-tan.

At least they could celebrate the 150th anniversary of that first game.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '19

Regardless if they bought Coach Schiano back, they will continue to remain at the bottom of the Big 10. They have been out scored 328 to 45 in their Big 10 games with 21 of those 45 coming against Ohio State. Bad move joining the Big 10 sports wise.

kb2755 kb2755
Nov '19

Who cares what goes on with today's corporate style approach to college athletics. Fact is, Rutgers has a proud history having been half of the first ever intercollegiate football game. That they lost the game to Princeton is perhaps best viewed symbolically...a school for scrappy upstarts without silver spoons. That could be true still, as Rutgers continues to provide a top notch education for resonable cost...and after all, that's what college is really for...
Rutgers College '00
GSE '01

Eperot Eperot
Nov '19

They do not belong in the Big Ten.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

They doubled the number of wins from last year.

BeerFan
Nov '19

Rutgers won that game 6-4 p, Eperot.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-11-06/college-football-history-heres-when-1st-game-was-played

4of4
Nov '19

In this day and age D-1 is essentially "semi-pro" and if you want to compete in that environment you need the facilities to be able recruit the talent, and you also need the coaches who can develop that talent into a team.
Rutgers wanted to get into the Big-10 for the "intellectual prestige" factor, and as they have shown in the past couple of weeks have no desire to try to compete. I'm not sure that they'd do any better in the AAC or Sun-Belt.

Whether or not you believe that Rutgers belongs in the big ten doesn't alter the fact
that Schiano brought Rutgers to six bowl games in his final seven years before leaving for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2012.
A record like that sells tickets and fills seats at the stadium which is what the school needs. It also attracts doners who give money which benifits the school as a whole.

Rutgers needs Coach Schiano and the penny wise and dollar foolish people at Rutgers blew it.

Sorry but Schiano's record at Rutgers was during their BigEast years, thinking he can come back and do that again vs a Big10 schedule is unrealistic. He had 1 magical season in 2006.

Jim L Jim L
Nov '19

Rutgers has 7 Big10 wins in 6 years including 3 years where the didn't win a single Big10 game ( i'm counting this year as they will lose to PSU on saturday) .

Jim L Jim L
Nov '19

Never tell a person what s/he can't do.

Jim King
Nov '19

It is fun to support a winner after all those years supporting a looser. I am now supporting an undefeated team with a beautiful campus. Go Buckeyes.

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '19

Re: Rutgers football

“It is fun to support a winner after all those years supporting a looser.”

I haven’t really watched anything from Rutgers since I graduated from there (also in ‘00).

Now my local team is Clemson. They are the current national champs, went undefeated last year and are also undefeated so far this year.

The only problem is the traffic near my house on game day...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '19

To me Rutgers has always been and always will be a basketball school, both in the men's and women's game, in a great basketball state …. it is great to see schools that have won national championships, like Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Maryland, coming to the RAC … the RAC has been around for over 40 years now and it would have been nice to see RU stay in the Big East (Villanova, St. John's and Seton Hall … Georgetown … oh why did they ever leave?

They could have kept the football stadium small and kept the rivalries with Princeton and Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell going while focusing on basketball, the way Georgetown and Villanova have done.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '19

Rutgers does well in the big10 in all other sports besides football....its all about the money, in case anyone doesn't know that...they will never be competitive in football no matter who the coach is.....Go Rutgers Wrestling! Two national champs last year both from jersey!

Wrestlref Wrestlref
Nov '19

I wonder if New Jerseyans would support Rutgers more if it were named

THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY- Rutgers or

New Jersey University- Rutgers

Jim King
Nov '19

The baseball program isn't any better. They fired that coach last summer.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '19

I think dedicating the 25 Million Schiano wanted into recruiting might serve the team better.

Agust Agust
Nov '19

Whoever the next coach is, he needs to figure out how to keep the top players from leaving the state.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=NJ

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=NJ

Jim L Jim L
Nov '19

Schiano's strength was that he recruited very well in Florida, in addition to convincing some homegrown talent like the McCourty twins to stay at home.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '19

They have more going to Jail then the NFL

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '19

Ian is right about the Florida connection … the Scarlet Knights rosters were looking like Miami North …

Ray Rice was such a megastar with Rutgers and then the Ravens … at the Diner I had fun with the manager (a big Steelers fan) ordering Flacco with Rice … they cooked up some combo of seafood for me and we called it Flacco … Cool Joe came from Jersey, by the way … there were ads in Baltimore showing Flacco being Mr. Family Man, going shopping...

Meanwhile, Rice's star has gone pfffft … zero tolerance for domestic violence and rightfully so. He became persona non grata in the NFL world.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '19

Sorry but Schiano's record at Rutgers was during their BigEast years, thinking he can come back and do that again vs a Big10 schedule is unrealistic. He had 1 magical season in 2006.

Jim L

Also Jim it was a BE that no longer had The U, BC, Va Tech, WVA, Pitt, Syracuse, teams that annually beat RU. Also we MUST ask, if he is that good/great why is he not a coach anywhere now?

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '19

He had three good years as defensive Coach at Ohio State till a new head coach this year dumped him.

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '19

It is amazing to see that RU has nineteen players in the NFL. Five of whom are playing for the New England Patriots. The Patriots number one ranked defense includes three RU alumni in their secondary.

RU Winning
Nov '19

He had three good years as defensive Coach at Ohio State till a new head coach this year dumped him.

Old Gent

I could have had 3 good years as Ohio St DC with the players he had to work with

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '19

Schiano’s demands evidently too much for Rutgers.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/rutgers-wont-hire-greg-schiano-after-not-meeting-a-list-of-his-absurd-demands-which-included-a-private-jet

kb2755 kb2755
Nov '19

Schiano's demands were too much for Pat Hobbs (The AD), who rejected the counter offer without presenting them to the BOG. Rutgers tried to spin the "demands" as over the top, but what they neglected to bring up was that the demands were all in place to ensure two things - 1) Rutgers commit to facility standards that put them on par with the teams they keep saying they want to beat and 2) that the guaranteed money create an atmosphere of consistency (Schiano knows improving will take time and needed to be able to show recruits that he would be there throughout the process).

Schiano had already started recruiting coaches behind the scenes, and had already compiled a list of grad transfer and transfer portal players who would be eligible to help RU in the short term.

I'm still hopeful that the two sides can come to an agreement. My season ticket ownership status hangs in the balance... :)

Murphy stepped in...the big donors said either hire Schiano or we are walking.

Hobbs is a moron - hire Schiano fire Hobbs.

Peace out

That fat ass Christie is spreading fake news.

A segment on BTN backed up what CR37 wrote above … surprised they gave Rutgers any time in between discussion about Ohio State/Michigan and Minnesota/Wisconsin …
guess they value the New York market. Well, Rutgers women's basketball won today against Georgia Tech … go Lady Knights … a winning tradition no matter what league they've played in :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '19

Seems the deal isn't as dead as previously reported...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28199490/source-rutgers-bring-back-greg-schiano-second-stint-coach

ianimal ianimal
Dec '19

At least they scored 6 points against Penn State.

kb2755 kb2755
Dec '19

"At least they scored 6 points against Penn State.

Penn State had a bunch of backups in. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

Evidently they reached a deal in principle according to ESPN.

kb2755 kb2755
Dec '19

They need a major talent upgrade, evidently they are hoping Schiano can provide that ... inside scoop, his former players LOVE him and would run through a brick wall for him, I've had conversation with a few … might as well give him another crack at it, nothing else has been working.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.