Elderly Woman at intersection of Rt 517 & Ridge Lane

For the past few days as I drive home from work between 3-4 PM there is an elderly woman standing very close to Rt 517 at the end of Ridge Lane yelling at cars to "Help Me". I have already informed the police when I witness this and they claimed that this is a routine occurence. I am extremely worried for her safety. Does anyone know if this woman has family near by? Or what the situation is? I am just curious in case I see her again, I can try to help more.

curiousc curiousc
Nov '19

Wasn't this a Pearl Jam song?

ianimal ianimal
Nov '19

Her name is Lorraine and she lives in a blue house up the road. My niece stopped to help her last thanksgiving and gave her money for “supposedly”, dog food and food for herself. She drove her to the quikmart and pretty sure along with her small looking purchase, bought lottery tickets. That weekend I went to her house with a few cans of dog food and got her story. She has no relatives in the area but has a daughter somewhere who is no longer in touch. The town authorities are aware of her situation and her neighbors have helped quite a bit. It seems though that she can turn on you and make false accusations. I decided I didn’t need that kind of headache and left her alone. Be very careful if you wish to help this person.

I’ve wanted to make this same post for a while now! Some days I’ll drive past her at 10am and run errands for a few hours and she’ll still be out there when I’m on my way home. She stands so close to the road and it’s extremely dangerous for her and everybody driving southbound on 517. My husband saw cops pulled over talking to her a few weeks ago but she’s still out there almost everyday.
It’s very sad to see and I hope something can be done about it. I feel bad for the poor old lady and it’s only a matter of time until she gets hit by a car and/or causes an accident

I stopped for her one time last winter. She had slipped on the icy driveway and was bleeding from cuts on her hands. Same story, said she was trying to walk to the store to buy dog food, so we gave her a ride and then she asked for money. Instead, I wound up buying her food for herself, her dog, and cigarettes as well. We tried to convince her to let us drive her to an urgent care to get checked out but she became agitated so we just drove her home and carried her bags to the house. Of course I knew what she was up to, but I felt sorry for her.

colette colette
Nov '19

I saw her yesterday for the first time. Thought she was going to walk out in traffic. After reading the comments above, sounds like it might be time for senior housing or a ccrc.

englishe30 englishe30
Nov '19

Uhgg this is terrible... With the quick to agitate and "turn on you" I wonder if she has a mental disorder that is going untreated or possibly the onset of Alz or dementia. Heartbreaking.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Nov '19

Sounds like she belongs in a nursing home.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '19

There is another thread on this from a couple years ago.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/800739

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

LOL, ianimal.

HackersArrSwivelEyes HackersArrSwivelEyes
Nov '19

I agree that she probably has a mental disorder. My niece invited her to our thanksgiving at my house last year (I lived a few blocks up the road), offering to pick her up and drive her home, but she declined. Seems after all the crying about being alone that she would rather be alone anyway. My niece gave her her cell number and she called one night thinking my niece lived nearby. After she realized she didn’t live on our street she never called again.

Very unfortunate.

She pulled this on my son, he was on his way into St. Mary's church, when she approached him, begging for help! He fell for it, skipped mass, took her for dog food, then she wanted liquor. he ended up driving her home, and offered to find her help, but she refused.

deviljet
Nov '19

This is a very sad situation, but it also seems to be a public nuisance. I'm not sure what the answer is.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

Perhaps one of the local parishes can get involved and help her...

She is out there on the daily it’s dangerous for her and for us driving past. I feel bad she clearly needs some sort of help

Clearly HPD should take her for a Psychiatric Evaluation.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '19

517 and Ridge Road would be Independence not Hackettstown.

Jim L Jim L
Nov '19

Someone can call Adult Protective Services to report the case.

This person is too close to the road and seems to linger. Yes, very dangerous.

Same happened with me several months ago and I also see her there frequently. I tried to help her out and took her to quick mart gave her money for dog food. I’ve experience this with another elderly woman many years ago who lives in hackettstown. Not sure what the authorities can do about this lady? There are so many caring people out there who want to see her get the he’ll she needs.

Joanne Joanne
Nov '19

517 and Ridge Road is not Independence. That area is Allamuchy, so the State Police would have to do something. Good luck with that. State Police will probably not get involved. Better to contact the County and have them get involved. But I doubt she would cooperate.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Nov '19

This is Ridge Lane in Independence, not Ridge Road in Allamuchy. Ridge Road is near Mattar's. Ridge Lane is further south.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

Calico, I'm pretty sure Ridge Lane is also Allamuchy. Independence line is near the top of the hill coming out of Hackettstown.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Nov '19

That intersection is in Independence, just barely. :-)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Independence+Township,+NJ/@40.8821957,-74.8527647,13.68z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c3822a3a1d2891:0xe770f947bccfb8eb!8m2!3d40.8893883!4d-74.8857989

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

"help she needs"

Umm no.

Have you guys never traveled?

Out all the time? Check.

Uses a dog or baby as a heart tug? Check.

Asks for help, but doesn't actually want it- smokes and alcohol? Check.

Sounds like every street corner of every city in every other country I have ever been to. Beggars and con artists galore.

Calico, I stand corrected, you are right.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Nov '19

I saw her once at the edge of Rt. 517, but in the middle of the off-road that goes into Rt. 517. She was just standing there yelling.

The police need to get involved to get her out of the road, she will get hit one day by a car. very scary!

Hackresident Hackresident
Nov '19

Nice Josh. Very seasonal.

It sounds like many have tried to lend a hand, that she's within her rights, not hurting herself or others, and so it goes. Sometimes craziness is just part of life. It would be nice to hear that some Church or Charity has reached out before we sick the State on her. Hate to lock her up just because someone thought she might jump into the road.

strnagerdanger strnagerdanger
Nov '19

She sounds like a person who is struggling financially and emotionally. She probably owns her house and doesn’t want to lose it. There’s lots of folks, stuck in the middle, like her. Her tiny income is probably too high for Medicaid and other benefits. I think it’s great that folks are helping her. If I see her, I would give her money. If she buys cigs...hopefully she’ll feel satisfied for a few days. If she buys lottery, maybe she’ll actually win enough money to stop putting herself in danger. Plus I’d buy pet supplies. Yes, one must use caution when dealing with any stranger(danger...just kidding). Don’t give any personal information to her...just be as kind as possible. She’s obviously not in a good place.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Nov '19

Having her sent to a psych ward will only increase her medical bills. If she’s the type to let mail pile up, she could lose her home....just because the cops picked her up. That would be awful! Sometimes we just get caught up in the game of scruples. I haven’t seen this woman, yet, so I can’t give opinion on safety...at this time.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Nov '19

Having done a quick search, I don’t believe she owns it any longer. Bank owns it now. This just recently happened.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Nov '19

She was just out there about 15 minutes ago when I passed. It really is a dangerous place to be standing.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Nov '19

Clearly call the police and they need to get aps involved. It's not that hard. She has jo family and needs help.

Happypaws Happypaws
Nov '19

Completely agree GR and SD.

Positive Positive
Nov '19

I was about to say that I will post the original one and someone sent the link.

Please use the link above and read that too. She only wants cigarettes, lottery and alcohol. None of which justify her actions. It’s been going on for quite some time.

Allamuchy Heather Allamuchy Heather
Nov '19

Look. We all know she’s there.
So I’m sure the “ authorities” know she’s there.
At this point they’ve decided not to intervene.
That’s that.
Can you spell S-C-A-M-M-E-R?

Stymie Stymie
Nov '19

Well rather than do nothing I sent some of this thread to Warren County Social Services.........Hopefully they can and will be able to humanely help her before something awful happens. Stymie - that she may be but do you think she is stable and safe?

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '19

Surprised no one suggested knitting grocery bags together in order to make her a mat to sleep on.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Nov '19

You know Dball, a number of people have reached out and I commend them for those attempts. We don’t really know what she needs, and are there issues. We just know what she wants and how she goes about getting them which seems crazy to most of us. I do not believe she is doing anything legally wrong unless vagrancy perhaps.

Growing up, my Grandmother for some reason would “collect” folks like this and they were always coming by, sitting on our porch, perhaps getting a bite or a glass of wine, telling us their stories. She said they were interesting. We said, “here comes Leo” and would hide. It was just the way it was.

Since it’s alcohol, cigs, and lotto she’s after, I think it’s good to have Social Services check in to check in on food and housing. I hope we get the results so to know if real assistance is needed or it is just the way it is. Otherwise, find out her brands and perhaps a christmas gift is in order perhaps in return for some stories.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Nov '19

I can only say that I am relieved that I saw this post as I also have seen this woman everyday when I drive down Rt 517 and have been wondering what the heck is she doing on Rt 517 with cars speeding by. I pray that she gets the help she needs.

" A number of people have reached out and I commend them for those attempts. We don’t really know what she needs, and are there issues. We just know what she wants and how she goes about getting them which seems crazy to most of us. I do not believe she is doing anything legally wrong unless vagrancy perhaps."

I commend them as well. Which is why I was surprised and relieved no one mentioned the plastic bag mats, but instead had some much better ideas.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Nov '19

Dball: we really don’t know what she needs or is short of. There could be a house, bed, blanket and such. There also might be alcohol, lotto, and cigarettes. We really don’t know if she is a scammer, keeping busy/entertained, or in need. Although I doubt a scammer, would be a really poor attempt. It is probably best at this point that Social Services check in since it was suggested her house may be lost, That’s a potential biggee.

In looking at the map over this, heading towards Htown, I was amazed that the next two roads on the right cut through, the first to Ridge, the second to Mt Rascal. Clever too that both change names from one end to the other. Road camouflage I guess. 30 some years and I am still learning about Mr. Hackett’s neighborhood. ;-)

Nov '19

I’m just going to copy and paste what I wrote in the 2 year old thread about her:

“I found out from a store owner all about her. The store owner is a nosey son of a gun so it doesn't surprise me he knows all about her.

Her husband died a few years back but before his passing he paid off their house for her. ITs a large home in Independence. She gets $4,000/month in a pension (his?) and spends around $300/day on scratch offs. He said in the beginning of the month she's in the store all day playing scratch offs but by the end of the month she's in the parking lot begging and asking him I feel he can run a tab on lottery and cigarettes. She has a serious drinking and gambling problem. Oh, and she actually does have a dog.”

Consigliere
Nov '19

Ok, so she has an addiction, which tells me she needs help.

No matter the financial status, addiction doesn’t discriminate. She clearly needs help.

Positive Positive
Nov '19

Problem is she doesn’t want “help” for her addictions. Just the means to continue with them.

Right, you can’t force help. The person has to want it.

Positive Positive
Nov '19

I surely hope that one day someone that isn't paying attention driving--but on their cell phone -- when they pass her by her in the road, and don't hit her!

Why can't the Police Department give her written citations to scare her to stop this? (that can turn into a summons if it continues)?

I saw her the one time and immediate thought that "this elderly lady is going to get hit" by a car on this narrow road!!

Nov '19

What law do you want the warning for? Walking on a narrow road?

Certainly you can’t want fake law because someone is acting in a manner seen as unfit? Cuz my list is long and she’s not even on it ;-)

Nov '19

My mother in law was like that. We would get a call from a neighbor up the street, and say she was there, and standing on the curb shouting and raising her fists at cars as they passed by.
We ran out to get her, and there she was, in her nightgown, holding her hand bag, with the snow showers and freezing cold.
She said she was waiting for the bus to go home.
I told her to get home....it was just 4 doors down, and she refused.
I told her, the cops were out, and they would put her in jail if they caught her walking near the street. She said, oh no! I don't want the son of a itchez to put me in jail!
She finally came home.
Using common sense, we called social services for evaluation.

Case closed......placed in a facility for supervised care .....died of pneumonia induced by Alzheimer's disease!
It's an awful disease. At that period of time, there were no medications to help with the progression of the disease.

Embryodad Embryodad
Nov '19

What is jaywalking in NJ?

What is the pedestrian law?
Pedestrian Law and Legal Definition. Pedestrian is a person traveling on foot; a walker. ... (((No pedestrian))) shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard.

I can't find the NJ statute / law , but this is a fine of $54.00.

Embryodad Embryodad
Nov '19

The elderly lady was yelling, standing in 1 place, which was in the middle of the lane that comes into Rt. 517. Not in the grass triangle, but in the middle of the driving lane. Strangerdanger, this isn't normal, and I don't think it could possible be legal!

If you are crossing the road, you wait on the side of the lane or in the grass triangle, not in the middle of a travel lane!!

j-walking/standing still IN a lane maybe, waiting to be hit.

Nov '19

Thanks for the clarification. I agree, both the police and social services should be involved if she is breaking the law, perhaps unhinged, and presenting a danger to others.

Just hate to see persecution due to being “odd.” There for the grave of God.....

Nov '19

the grave of God? that reminds me of a true classic...

https://youtu.be/PEaL57GJy1Q

ianimal ianimal
Nov '19

My question is where is the daughter...

Not so smart now, are you phone :-) Really scrod the pouch on that one. Oh Gad....

Nov '19

If I see her again there during her "time", I will call 9-1-1. Others might want to think about that too. i'd hate to read in the paper that someone hit her w/ their car and ki-lled her.

Nov '19

Jeepers, when is “her time” to stand out there? I’m sorry if I missed that earlier.

Consigliere
Nov '19

3-4 pm-ish. The first post in this thread says,

"For the past few days as I drive home from work between 3-4 PM there is an elderly woman standing very close to Rt 517 at the end of Ridge Lane yelling at cars to "Help Me"."

I think I saw her about 2:30 pm the one bizarre time.

Nov '19

Unfortunately, the elderly woman is back at the intersection of Rt 517 and Ridge Lane. I was hopeful when I had not seen her for the past few months and then last week there she was again. I am so worried that at the speed some of the cars are going on Rt 517 she is going to get hit! Isn't there anything someone can do to keep this woman off Rt 517 before something terrible happens?

Last week she was back out in front of Sonny's asking for money again. Thankfully IPD showed up and asked her to leave. She was approaching many.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Feb '20

I was getting gas at QuickChek at noon today and she was smoking a cigarette right next to a gas pump. Thankfully the attendant asked her to move away but I was stunned that this woman didn’t have the common sense to stay away from a potential ignitable situation.

Daisy Daisy
Feb '20

My god, she is blessed to be in such good shape? Drinking, smoking, how old is she? She might have found the fountain of youth...

Common sense? Daisy that ship has sailed, this poor woman really needs help before she gets hurt or injured. If there's no family to seek help for her, I would think a court appointed guardian should seek to have her placed in a long-term care facility.

OldSam
Feb '20

If you see her you can contact: http://www.co.warren.nj.us/humanservices/dosshome.html

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.