Looking to adopt a dog

Anyone know of reasonable adoption for a Dog?

Allabel Allabel
Nov '19

Reasonable? What do you mean? Go to the shelter and adopt one.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Nov '19

https://www.ehrdogs.org/animals/browse?Species=Dog

Looks reasonable to me.

Sue Heck Sue Heck
Nov '19

If all you’re looking for is “reasonable” adoption, don’t adopt a dog. You’re not ready for a pet. Geeez.

Gripit
Nov '19

If you can't afford an adoption fee, how will you afford food and care for the dog?

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

Locally 11th Hour and PAL are the places to go for adoptions.

palpets.org

Common Sense for Animals
908 859 3060

Jacqui Jacqui
Nov '19

I have had five adopted pets from Common Sense for Animals and four of them had to be put down. The animals were between the ages of six months to five years. I would never recommend that place or support them.

CuriousKitty
Nov '19

https://www.petfinder.com/

Sacks cousin
Nov '19

Check out Randolph animal shelter. I don't know what's going on over there but their dogs are just $50 and adopt 1 get 1 free.

http://www.randolphregionalanimalshelter.org/

Jrsemom Jrsemom
Nov '19

Randolph Animal Shelter is a terrific place to find a nice pet.
Would highly recommend them.

Re: Looking to adopt a dog

Shelter Dogs need homes. Should we not allow people to adopt who question costs?
There are thousands of dogs being euthanized every day, year or whatever.
The dogs are better off in someone’s home regardless of income versus living in a shelter. I’m pretty confident even low income people can afford dog food or they wouldn’t adopt.
Vet bills? Yeah that could be a problem. Bet you the dog would take its chances in someone’s home who will love them every day, give em a cozy bed etc etc

Hadenough Hadenough
Nov '19

You can have mine. LOL Tonight and all day she has been a PITA. She threw up this morning before breakfast. Would not go out this morning for her morning pee. She wouldn't drink her water until I gave her a snack. She ate the tissues in the bathroom garbage until I caught her. She will not let me go to the bathroom alone. She finally wanted to go out side to chase squirrels and chip monks. Now she insists to sit in my chair. And so, what does that leave me, the floor. Morale of this story. Be prepared to let them rule the roost. Good Luck!!

auntiel auntiel
Nov '19

Hadenough,

He/she is a cutie!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Nov '19

“Should we not allow people to adopt who question costs?”

That’s what “we” do, judge others by our own standards. Assume the worst-It’s the new (old) norm.

justintime justintime
Nov '19

Jefferson,

Thanks, that’s my boy Jack, adopted him 10 yrs ago. A true gift to our family as he is such a sweet boy

Hadenough Hadenough
Nov '19

Randolph 11th hour rescue. So many pets to adopt..and these folks are very easy to work with . Ill be glad to give you the names of the people who helped us adopt our boy.

Maggie Mitchell-O'Do Maggie Mitchell-O'Do
Dec '19

Crickets from the OP.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '19

I immediately got what Allable meant by "reasonble." Reasonable is loving and responsible. Some adoption organizations have unrealistic expectations that have nothing to do with money. For example, unreasonable is "will someone be home with the dog all day?" "Do you have a fenced yard?" etc. We were turned down because we lived too close to a golf course, and they might use pesticides (cancer risk) Good luck adopting a forever friend. There are reasonable organizations out there, you just have to be patient.

observer2 observer2
Dec '19

Soon, puppies/dogs will be available via the black market, only. Kittens are, and always will be available. They’re much more adaptable and have three litters a year, as opposed to two, for a dog(bitch). The cat rescues are legitimately from the heart. The dog rescues? That’s a force to be reckoned with. I saw it coming. “Free puppies” in the seventies. The rescues took over the local town pounds, in the eighties. From the nineties and on, the rescues saw the value in puppies and dogs. They spread
lots of propaganda and virtually took over the dog/puppy market, creating a monopoly. I love the fact that homeless animals are being helped but lately it’s more like “retail rescues” and they are run very much like a commercial pet store. Eleventh hour rescue, in the mall, for example. They couldn’t get a less expensive place to rent? I think they kept all the same cages and other equipment from Pet Pouree...the previous renters. The set up is the same. The only problem I have is putting responsible breeders out of business, via mandatory spay/neuter or other weird ordnances. Now folks have to drive for hours to get a puppy/dog, of THEIR choice.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Dec '19

CuriousKitty,

I'm curious about the circumstances regarding your pets from Common Sense for Animals. I have a cat from there going on 17, and I know others who've adopted pets from there who have lived full lives

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Dec '19

Lets just say you and your friends got very lucky, Lori.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '19

Father John's - Lafayette. Clean, large, nice facility.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '19

Conspiracy theories about dog rescues? My God, I think I've finally heard it all.
Absolutely insane.

The pet stores sold puppy mill dogs, not dogs from "responsible breeders."
Almost 700,000 dogs are euthanized yearly. https://www.aspca.org/animal-homelessness/shelter-intake-and-surrender/pet-statistics

The retail portion of the Rockaway Mall location is not 11th hour. They share the space with the pet store that sells leashes, coats, etc. It's a mutually beneficial relationship. It also allows 11th Hour maximum exposure to adopt out more dogs.

I adopted a dog in June from 11th Hour. The dog, along with 29 others, was sent from Texas. The south is overrun with stray dogs. The rescue there captured her, got her spayed, put her in a foster home for 2 weeks to assess her characteristics so they could accurately describe her for adoption, got all her vaccines, got her chipped, and sent her with full vet records. They then transported her to NJ. The adoption fee was $375. They are not making money. They rely on donations from good people who understand and appreciate that they are saving lives. Those 30 dogs that came from Texas? 30 come every week to 11th Hour from just one Texas rescue.

As for the original poster, if you can't afford the adoption fee, that is understandable, but consider that vet care can be expensive, depending on a dog's needs. A dog might not be a good idea if you're on a very tight budget.

4of4
Dec '19

My experience with 11th Hour was much like 4of4's, only my dog came from Tennessee. That rescue cannot possibly be making a profit given how much money is needed for the whole process.

The $350 I paid to 11th Hour a few years ago helped cover spaying, running blood tests, vaccines, microchipping, transporting my dog to NJ, caring for her during the weaning process before her puppies were adopted out, feeding her, and fostering her. When you take all that into account, it makes sense that 11th Hour and other rescues require such fees.

That does not mean that folks who don't have that kind of money won't make great dog owners, and I'd hate to be quick to judge based on the OP's question.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Dec '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.