Daylight Saving Time Ends 11/3

Daylight Saving Time Ends 11/3

Don't forget to roll your clocks back one hour at 2:00 am Sunday morning.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

Sigh... it sure was nice while it lasted....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Nov '19

Favorite holiday of the year!

Don't forget to change your smoke alarm batteries this weekend as well...

ianimal ianimal
Nov '19

Booo

I like sun.

I like the extra hour of sleep !

Bobbob Bobbob
Nov '19

People keep saying that, but aren't modern, up to code smoke detectors equipped with 10 year batteries? You shouldn't be changing them before that.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Nov '19

my house was built in 1999. the detectors have standard 9 volt batteries in them

ianimal ianimal
Nov '19

Yes but it still is bad advice to give out, generally. Sounds good but needs clarification.

Nov '19

Good reminder to test your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.

Jules Jules
Nov '19

Actually, it is a reminder to change your clocks, at least the few that don't change automatically.

Nov '19

Can anyone give a legitimate reason we still do this?
I can't find one.

My niece lives in Surprise, AZ. They DON'T do DST. A few places don't. Plays hell with their tv schedules lol

Nov '19

Are there any clocks left to turn back? : )

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '19

My stupid stove doesn't know how to change its own clock, but my smart TV does... that's why I like it better.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '19

We have to do the cars, my wristwatch, the stove, the microwave, the programmable thermostat and the water filtration equipment. Everything isn't automatic. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

How about that flip phone of yours? Does its clock have hands on it that you have to physically dial back? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Nov '19

My watches do. I have to wind them constantly as well. :)

"Can anyone give a legitimate reason we still do this?
I can't find one."

If we didn't, sunrise at the summer solstice would be at 4:30 in the morning. As a man with a 5-year old son who gets up at the crack of dawn every morning, that's reason enough for me (-;

ianimal ianimal
Nov '19

Josh, the worst is having to spin through three days to get to March 1st, right?

ianimal ianimal
Nov '19

LOL! My flip phone is automatic. My watch is an eco drive, so I don't have to wind it. I do have to manually change the date when necessary. I don't have to go through 24 hours to do it though. I just pull the pin one click out instead of two and that changes the date.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

I just finally reprogrammed the lights on the driveway to come on earlier and now I guess I have to do it again tomorrow.....

Blackcat Blackcat
Nov '19

Ben Franklin was joking when he suggested Daylight Saving Time

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ben-franklin-was-joking-when-he-suggested-daylight-saving-time/

Was he also joking about the turkey?

Nov '19

70% of Americans want to end changing our clocks.

What say yea Hackettowners (and those who honor our website with their presence but not our towns with their corporal beings).

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Nov '19

I like the time change. I say keep it as it is.

Eperot Eperot
Nov '19

I could be wrong, but don’t farmers still benefit from DST?
For that reason, I am for it.

Spring fever Spring fever
Nov '19

I would rather dodge deer in the PM darkness when I am wide awake driving home at 5p than in the AM darkness before we go to DST- at 6:30a half asleep.

And- let’s not forget- they already pushed it back one week into November and pulled it forward 2 weeks in March- so we really have 3 weeks less of DSTthan we used to.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Nov '19

More light at the end of day, no doubt about it.

Roywhite Roywhite
Nov '19

I work in construction and daylight savings time helps especially in the early hrs when we can be seen working on the roads we like to see our familys.

Harold Harold
Nov '19

"And- let’s not forget- they already pushed it back one week into November and pulled it forward 2 weeks in March- so we really have 3 weeks less of DSTthan we used to."

LOVED it when that happened!

Nov '19

Just take the middle road, permanently adjust by 30 minutes ahead now. I understand the need for more light now, but in Spring we pay with sleep-deprived drivers...

This is a conversation twice a year.

I agree we should split this down the middle and call it quits.

Let us band together and get this going. Where do we start with this?

Bernie Bernie
Nov '19

"I understand the need for more light now, but in Spring we pay with sleep-deprived drivers..."

I really don't get why one hour affects people so much.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/mar/13/with-bipartisan-support-in-congress-for-permanent-/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I would love to stay with one or the other without 2x a year changes.. but I like standard time as I'm a morning person.

hktownie hktownie
Mar '21

I'm all for no time change. But I prefer more daylight in the evening hours, so I'd vote for DST.

I doubt anything will come of it tho...

"Proposals to stay on standard time or move to full-time DST appear on the US legislative agenda nearly every clock change. Since 2015, more than 200 bills and resolutions related to Daylight Saving Time have been introduced, covering almost every state across the US, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Recently, several states have proposing or passed bills in favor of permanent DST. However, they need congressional approval to abolish the time change. For this to happen, Congress first has to pass a federal law allowing states to observe DST year-round, because today's law, the Energy Policy Act of 2005, only allows states to opt out of DST."

Mar '21

Standard time is closest to the correct time, traditionally defined as where Noon is when the sun is at the midpoint in the sky ("High Noon"), and Midnight is, as it says, the midpoint between sunset and sunrise.

It would be kind of weird to have DST year-around, because DST is, in effect, an attempt to fool everyone into thinking that it is, at any given time, an hour later than it really is. So for example, having people start work at 7 AM instead of of 8 AM. If people really prefer to have more daylight in the evening hours, than society as a whole is free to keep standard time (the correct time) and decide to have companies start the day at 7 AM instead of 8 AM, for example.

Simple proposal that will easily push through Congress and signed into law:

Hit the middle...split it in half (make a 1, permanent clock move of 30 minutes) having NO ONE can argue (serving both sides) moot to contest.

Back and forth an hour, every year....since 1966, like nothing in technology and times have changed.
Even so, [yes I agree saving daylight is good], but like everything in this world, that's not so one-sided, unanimously agreed.

So 30 minutes is the best bipartisan, compromised agreement these lawmakers can do

aol123@aol.com aol123@aol.com
Mar '21

Aol123..bingo my thoughts exactly...easy compromise.

Grascal
Mar '21

Yeah, but... 30 minutes?? Does even matter enough to BOTHER?

Mar '21

Yes it would matter in the fact it would then become fixed. Those that want one or the other compromise and no more changing the clocks. We could all settle on one time.

Grascal
Mar '21

The Eastern Time Zone extends as far west as Detroit. What we think is good for us probably isn't good for them. More locally, do we want to be 30 minutes disconnected from NY and PA should they not decide to join us?

Personally, I think its more hassle than it's worth. This is one of the rare occasions where I'm in support of the status quo. My 7 year old son gets up at the crack of dawn every day... I would much prefer that to be 5:30 in late June, rather than 5:00, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '21

Working remote, as we become more global, DST is just another complication added to the time zone differences. I am for removing it.

Heard it was started during WWI to save energy?

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Daylight Saving Time Ends 11/3
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.