Sidewalks in town

Last night I (and friends) took the Haunted Hackettstown Lantern Walk, which by the way, was Awesome and I encourage everyone to participate next year. My only complaint of the night were the Sidewalks of Hackettstown.
Our tour began at the Hackettstown Museum on Church Street, (next to the town Library), where I experienced my first ankle twist, to Washington Street towards Grand Ave., back to Church St, up to the Centenary University, over to
W. Plane St, down to Madison St., past the back of the Middle school over to Center Street, past the side of the Middle School, back to Washington Street, finishing the tour walking past the front of the Middle School back to Church Street.
The sidewalks we walked on, in our “Beautiful Hackettstown” were unbelievably deteriorated, jagged, uneven, they teeter tottered, they were seriously uprooted, and it’s safe to say, a definite walking hazard.
It was unfortunate that our tour travels main focus from one point to another was staring down with our flashlights and lanterns, calling out our sidewalk hazard discoveries to the others behind us, preparing them for the danger that was awaiting them a few steps ahead.
We missed out on the “Strolling and House Decoration Watching” because we were too busy saving ourselves from broken ankles, legs and bodies, if anyone had fallen.
It’s obvious that these sidewalk conditions did not happen overnight. It has taken years of neglect to become this serious. Our towns children and their parents have to walk these same streets, daily, as you noticed our tour was circling the Middle School, the High School just nearby and included the University area and town Library, as well.
I am unsure of the sidewalk conditions of other areas of town, but if a high traffic walking area, like this, is this neglected and dangerous, I’m sure it’s safe to say that other areas do fall within my description mentioned above. I believe something needs to be done for the safety of our towns walkers, joggers and runners.
I know I’m not the only resident paying a high property tax, so, I’ll be writing our town officials and request that they focus on protecting us by repairing our dangerous sidewalks.
As for my confidence in their immediate action to my request, let’s just say that next year, I’ll wear ankle protecting ski boots to the Tour.

I recommend you read through the Town Charter and General Code Ordinance regarding care and maintenance of sidewalks.

It is located on the home page of the town website: Hackettstown.net

Start with page 1214.

ARTICLE 4. CONSTRUCTION, RECONSTRUCTION, PAVING, REPAVING,
CURBING, IMPROVING AND REPAIRING OF SIDEWALKS AND STREETS

I would write a letter to each homeowner and ask them why they are not maintaining their sidewalks

Jim L Jim L
Oct '19

Sidewalk care falls to the homeowner(s).

Sport
Oct '19

Deb, I do believe some still have the original blue slate as sidewalks.

pampurr pampurr
Oct '19

From that code- if homeowner fails to maintain and repair- the town can do it and bill the homeowner, which "shall bear interest at eight (8%) percent per annum"

Woof.

I would not write a letter to each homeowner. I would write a letter to the town council and inquire as to why the ordinance is not being enforced.

If the homeowners are required to repair then it is the town’s responsibility to insure this is occurring.

Ordained
Oct '19

It really shouldn't fall to homeowners to take care of pedestrian sidewalks. That should be under the town's jurisdiction. As a homeowner there are no incentives to take care of these walks especially when money is tight.

Eperot Eperot
Oct '19

Eperot...agreed, that's just not the way it is, unfortunately.

My favorite feature of Hackettstown are the "sidewalks to nowhere", like along parts of Prospect Street, where there's a lonely sidewalk in front of one house only.

Route 46
Oct '19

I walk those streets with some frequency. The answer is easy: Pick up your feet when walking!

Some parts of town...the town has replaced sidewalks..others parts they tell residents to pound salt

Bug3
Oct '19

Homeowners with sidewalks in front of their house are he ones that need to maintain the sidewalks. Homeowners have to get their sidewalk shoveled in winter time, the town doesn’t go around and do it.

Questionable
Oct '19

I would love to know who owns the sidewalk just past the entrance to Hackettstown Health Foods leading to the parking lot behind it. That path has been a hazardous mess for at least 6 years and before the health food store moved over there. I didn't live in town before then, so I can't attest to a longer period, but I'll bet it's been longer than 6 years. If the property owner for that stretch of sidewalk hasn't done anything, the town should step in and do something.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Oct '19

My suggestion to partially solve this issue, especially for sidewalks around our schools, is to substantially increase the fees for non-residents at the Hackettstown Pool. Use the money to replace the sidewalks (especially the slate sidewalks around the Middle School).

This is a common practice in beach communities. Non-residents still pay! Win-win for the town!

D's 4
Oct '19

The sidewalks are really bad. I've almost done a face plant a few times walking off Main St. East Plane St. sidewalk is ridiculous. At least they sprayed it bright orange so the school kids can see the uneven sidewalk.

Hopeful Hopeful
Oct '19

Sorry D’s 4 but your plan wouldn’t work. Pool money can only be used for Rec items. Can’t be used for anything else since it was funded with Green Acres money.

Jim L Jim L
Oct '19

My brother and I helped my father replace 50 feet of side walk one summer in college view due to tree roots. Town came and cut roots after the sidewlalk was removed.

The first several feet of property off the road is right of way...homeowner is responsible for maintaining.

I remember my father’s homeowners insurance company making the sidewalk replacement an issue.

Homeowners with sidewalks in disrepair are sitting on potential personal injury lawsuits.

Timmy
Oct '19

Thanks for these facts, I had no idea it was the homeowners responsibility.
Then I guess I’m surprised that the town is permitting such violation of ordinance and homeowners insurance companies are allowing such liabilities.

Sounds like opening of a "Can O Worms" to me!

Where can we get that glow in the dark safety paint that sticks to sidewalks?
That seems like a cheap solution.

Embryodad Embryodad
Oct '19

Deb

I'm glad you enjoyed the Tour itself. From the description of the route you took I'm guessing you weren't in any of the groups I led (one on Friday and both the 6PM and 8PM on Saturday).

We went on Church to Washington then towards Grand, then back to Moore where we walked up to Jefferson, then to Church, down Church to Madison then down past the Middle School to Center St. where we went to Washington and from there back to Church St. If you weren't on Moore you'd have missed the Jacob Allen House and two more, plus some mention of the Presidents' House as I added some history on it and the one next to it to the program.

One thing I asked when I got my script and we had walked the route 2 weeks before the tours were if everyone was supposed to be bringing a flashlight and I was told that people were supposed to be informed that they should bring one. We did have plenty of lanterns and I had extra flashlights should anybody want one, but only one person took me up on the flashlight and only one person besides our designated lantern person decided to carry a lantern with them. Both those were on the 8PM walk.

It did take some extra effort on my part to try to light up an obstacle until someone else could light it, then walk quickly back ahead to make sure the next obstacle was lit and keep doing that until we reached the next stop, but I just wanted to make sure everybody kept safe and had a fun time. That said, the first time I walked the route was during the daytime with another volunteer and Gwen Chaar, the HHS President, who did the route with her walker.

During the daytime it's not too difficult as you can see where the challenges of the route are, however at nighttime it's a different story, as the streets aren't well lit in most places and while Friday night we were able to walk down Church from Jefferson to Madison in the street, there was continual traffic on both Moore and Church that precluded us from doing so.

I warned everyone at the beginning of the walk that the sidewalks would be challenging and when we were at the Presidents' house I related that during my research I'd found the original owner of the property, William Hoffman had actually been cited by the Town, telling him he had to install a sidewalk on the Jefferson Street side of his house that met code or else the Town would do it for him and he would be billed accordingly. Mt. Olive Twp. has the same policy, though they actually seem to have Code Enforcement people going around checking for violations, as my Sister can attest.

pampurr is right that many of the original "Bluestone" sidewalks still exist in that area. In most locations they are perfectly fine, with the main exception being where the tree roots have lifted them. "Timmy" is correct in that people face a potential injury lawsuit, as possibly does the town for not enforcing that portion of the code. I don't think just writing:

"The Town shall not bear any civil liability for injuries caused by the failure of a property owner to properly maintain or repair an adjacent sidewalk; in the case of an injury caused by an unmaintained or unrepaired sidewalk, the adjacent property owner(s) shall be solely responsible and shall bear all liability for the same. (5-14-15)"

into the Code is going to fully absolve them of the responsibility of inspecting the sidewalks and notifying homeowners of the ones that need repair if someone gets seriously injured, especially at night due to poor lighting which doesn't allow you to see the hazardous sidewalk conditions.

I'd love suggestions for next year's Lantern Tour as to how to make it safer. For one thing, I think walking the route during the day and noting on the map where hazards are may help. I had already noted some of the more obvious ones, but it's not easy to see them as well at nighttime. Perhaps we can mark them with cones, etc. I don't know, but I'm definitely open to suggestions which I'll be glad to make and discuss with the President of the HHS. I think perhaps requiring a lantern for every other person may help as well. That would also make us more visible to cars. It was nice to see the HPD addressing speeders on Saturday night when we were on Washington St. (especially with the wet roads) on our way back to the HHS.

I'd like to thank everyone that came out for the Lantern Tours, including the other volunteers, especially John C, not just for being a guide, but also for all his research along with Hackettstown Paranormal, Inc. and TAPS who provided the information for the tours as well as all those who don't mind their houses being on the Tour.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '19

Phil,
I would suggest for next year ;
Anyone wishing to go on the tour, must sign a "release and hold harmless of any and all injuries, scrapes, bumps, lacerations, etc ."

Next these people will want a "hazard free path" to pick pumpkins !!

steven steven
Oct '19

Yup- that blurb is about as worthless as a ride at your own risk sign at an amusement park.

I think it’s comical the town expects homeowners/property owners to be responsible for their sidewalks.. Just like curbing its in there right of way...I know Washington township (long valley) fixes n assumes responsibility for their sidewalks n the curbs.. If there shade trees are popping and damaging the sidewalks they should repair them.. No questions asked!!!!

Mr. tone Mr. tone
Oct '19

Phil D,
I am sure I covered the same route you described, I was trying to remember exactly, and it was an hour of zig zags in the drizzle. John did a fantastic job narrating along the way, our tour was Saturday night at 7pm. We were pre-warned if the sidewalk conditions, but I just didn’t believe they were that bad until I walked the tour. Those who wanted flashlights had them, but in the drizzle and leaves camouflaging the route, it was still difficult and slowed us down a lot. Your tour was fantastic and as I said, it was not your fault the sidewalks were in those conditions. We would have preferred walking the street, but that would have just opened us up to being run over. I am looking forward to next year!! Sidewalks in bad shape or not. Hopefully during the year, it can be corrected.
Thank you for the tour! We still had a wonderful time!

I know the neighborhood and specific sidewalks well and agree that they are a hazard. The fact that they are original blue stone is not the issue. That actually makes it easier. The issue is the trees that are uprooting and heaving the blue stone. I understand that the homeowner is responsible for the sidewalk repair but the homeowner cannot do anything about an existing tree on the curb which would need to be removed to level the blue stone. I think the town needs to go around and address the root/tree issues first, then the homeowners can level the sidewalks.

JB400 JB400
Oct '19

Is a valid solution to simply remove the sidewalk in front of your property? If it's not there then it doesn't need to be maintained...

justintime justintime
Oct '19

ROTFLOL justintime!

Sorry, but it looks as though that wouldn't likely be a solution. See pages 1204 - 1211 in the Town Code. As I mentioned above the Town actually provided notice to Wm. Hoffman that he had to provide a sidewalk on his property or the Town would do it and charge him. That was back somewhere between 1912 and 1942, the years when he owned the property. I don't have my copy of it with me at the moment or I could tell you the exact date. In any case, you'd need a permit to do anything to the sidewalk (including tear it up), so good luck getting that;-)

"1204ARTICLE 1. BREAKING AND DIGGING IN STREETS,CURBS AND SIDEWALKS (10-26-92)12-1.Permit Required.No person shall, for any purpose whatsoever:(a)Make or cause to be made any street opening or any penetration, excavation or disturbance of the surface of any portion of any street or within the Town or unaccepted dedicated street; or

(b)Construct, alter or remove any curb, sidewalk, retaining wall, driveway, ordrainage facility in or under any street within the Town or unaccepted dedicated street unless he first obtains a permit from the Director of the Department of Public Works."

You have to provide a $16/sq. yd. minimum deposit or surety bond before work proceeds too.

By the way, the code states earlier that male pronouns apply to both sexes (oops, Pandora's Box - perhaps there's an exception in there somewhere just waiting to be proffered).

Even if you somehow got a permit, and it was approved (sure it would - not), after the work is done, the sidewalk would have to be replaced, as per code, anyway:

"(g)In the event the permittee fails to complete the improvement and properly replace the broken curb, sidewalk or pavement within ten (10) days of written notice, weather permitting the Town shall complete the work and deduct the cost of the work from the deposit. If said deposit is insufficient to cover the cost thereof, the applicant shall be held liable therefor."

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '19

Sounds an awful like the town saying "Do what I want, when I want it, the way I want it, maintained the way I want, and oh, by the way, you have to pay for it too as this isn't coming from town funds - funds that exist because they are meant to be used for our mutual benefit" (because a sidewalk is strictly for the homeowner ya know, there's no way it's for our mutual benefit lol).

But wait! This must be part of our mysterious "social contract" that no one has ever seen but we are all told exists. I knew it had to be written somewhere - this must be at least part of it! ;-)

Sarcasm aside, sidewalks are located on government-mandated right-of-ways. Current laws state that homeowners are responsible for maintaining this property, period. It doesn't matter that the homeowner can do nothing with the property as it is restricted and intended for the use of others and not the homeowner. Simply put, someone has to pay for this non-private use of non-private property, and the homeowner lost that fight long ago.

justintime justintime
Oct '19

Yeah, towns got us on this one for decades. Some towns that planted shade trees will pay for replacement of sections lifted/damaged by the shade tree roots. An inspection is required and then you are added to the list. Again, this is NOT Hackettstown.

We walked around by the college last night. They should have replaced those sidewalks 30 years ago.... It's like scaling the Rocky Mountains in some spots....

Metsman Metsman
Nov '19

You have to watch you steps in daytime and while sober, fact.

Maybe they could use the money st from the parking tickets and meters......

Acl76 Acl76
Nov '19

When we owned a house on Washington Street near the middle school, we called Hackettstown Town Hall to complain about a tree that had roots that completely tore up our sidewalk. The roots had elevated the sidewalk in certain areas, making it a tripping hazard for pedestrians. I forget which town department I ultimately worked with, but they were most helpful. They put my address on a "list" and actually went out there the next day and completely removed the tree in question. Problem solved.

They don't always remove nuisance trees, nor am I suggesting that trees be uprooted. But the town made the decision to remove it entirely because cutting the problem roots was not going to work. They said that on some occasions, they will cut just the roots that are directly affecting the sidewalk. But if that would eventually kill the tree, they will just remove the whole tree.

Bottom line is, the town is responsible for trees that are situated between the sidewalk and the public road. If one of those trees is ruining your sidewalk (whether it's concrete or original slate), the town will come out and rectify the situation.

After the town came out and did their fix, we paid landscapers to "reset" the rest of the bluestones/slate stones that were posing a tripping hazard for pedestrians. Otherwise, my homeowner's insurance threatened to drop me.
These stones were monster big and heavy. But they used forged steel landscape bars to move the stones and reset them with leveling sand. It came out great! The landscapers I used were Chinchilla Landscaping (who also lives on Washington St in Hackettstown).

Just know that you're not in this alone and the town will come and take care of it - but it has to be their trees that are affecting the sidewalk and you have to call them.

Tanya Tanya
Dec '19

"Maybe they could use the money st from the parking tickets and meters"

The town does not collect any money from parking tickets and meters, the Parking Authority does.

Jim L Jim L
Dec '19

Re: Sidewalks in town

Take a TRIP around the College View development.
So many sidewalks and curbs destroyed by the trees.
Lawsuits waiting to happen.

Rich Sluder Rich Sluder
Apr '20

Property owners are responsible to fix their sidewalks!

Sport
Apr '20

Those bumps are how you start learning to jump your bicycle as a kid. Like I did in College View neighborhood in the 80’s. After watching The movie Rad Racing.

At time when everything is sterile. Can we leave a few things in life rough, gritty and dareI I say it left dirty.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Apr '20

WW,

That was before everyone wanted to sue everyone else.

Times have changed. Lawsuits are profitable.

Don't spill that coffee on your lap!

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Apr '20

While nobody needs a broken leg or twisted ankle right now, many homeowners may be out of work and scraping together what they can during these trying times.

Sure you can make a complaint to force things to be fixed by the homeowner(s), but how about people just watch where they're going, at least for now.

Yes, I know, a novel idea these days when people are busy texting, etc. rather than practicing mindfulness and watching where they're going and what they're doing. Of course, depending on the road, one can always walk on the road next to the curb facing traffic too if the sidewalks are that unbearable or unsafe and the road isn't a busy one. Few roads are currently that busy anyway.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '20

Sidewalks are homeowner responsibility. Just guessing this is the first time you noticed? Been like this forever in most parts of town particularly with old trees (not planted by the homeowner)

Ufixit
Apr '20

You cannot sue a residential homeowner for a trip/slip and fall in front of their home, unless they created a hazard.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '20

Well said Tracy. In addition to your comment, these types of lawsuits are usually tossed out. If not immediately tossed, the "victim" is usually crushed by the well versed homeowner insurance lawyers before it ever makes a court room. The law has finally cracked down on the "get injured and win the lottery" lawsuits.

People just need to to be aware of their surroundings and actually watch where they step. Know your physical limitations. Another option, you can walk on the shoulder of the road. If at night, bring a flash light. Uneven sidewalks are the least of our problems in these times.

allbesafe
Apr '20

allbesafe

Thanks for reiterating what I said above.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '20

The first step is to make a complaint about the condition of the sidewalks to your town and those homeowners. Once this is documented they can not deny they were informed of the negligence which will make a lawsuit much easier.
With some of the sidewalks where there is a 2 inch height difference it would be harder for a homeowner to deny that they did not know about the unsafe condition. So the worse the condition the better your chances are in court.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Apr '20

dodgebaal, It sounds like you have a "plan" all mapped out to win the injury lottery. Why don't you get a tape measure and find the best spot for your staged fall.

allbesafe
Apr '20

I was out walking the other day in town and I tripped probably three times on uneven sidewalks.

I laughed at myself for being so clumsy and resolved to pay more attention.

At no point did I think “who can I sue over this?”

This is what we’re focusing on now? Seems like old times!

For reals For reals
Apr '20

Some people have their strategy all figured out, so sad.

Kat, Well put. That thought wouldn't enter my mind either.

allbesafe
Apr '20

I rather take the side walk out in front of my house. One less thing to shovel. Sure ill have to cut the grass but i already drive over it to cut the tree lawn.

CJ.

That was funny, but if you're within Hackettstown Limits, not an option. Unless you want to run afoul of the law that I brought up further up on the page.

Bumpy sidewalks make for problems with mowers, since a riding or other mower can easily mess up a blade, etc. on them. It's in homeowners' best interests to fix them or get them fixed.

I wonder how many people think that the town is actually supposed to fix them, but never call the DPW or City Hall to find out the bad news, that it's actually the homeowners' responsibility.

Any Realtors wish to step in and tell whether or not that fact is required to be disclosed to people. I don't imagine it is. As I mentioned before somewhere, my parents live in the "Tree City" of Parsippany and the "Plane Trees" (American Sycamore) do immense damage to the sidewalks and sewer pipes. Since Parsippany-Troy Hills is a large Township with many rateables, they actually came by my parents' house as part of a program and fixed the sidewalks on their own. When my Dad tried to snake the drain towards the street and came upon a blockage that wouldn't budge, he found it was after a cleanout in the yard and called their DPW. They sent a crew out who rootered it and said to call them anytime if he had the same issue.

What it comes down to is the lack of thought when cityscaping and streetscaping. All those old glorious trees shaded the sidewalks and streets, even when they were much shorter and they create a marvelous view, BUT trees grow old and large and parts die off, sometimes leaving large branches to fall in the road and on houses. Of course there's also the problem of sidewalks and sewers.

The root system of the average tree is equal in diameter to the crown of the tree, so think about that for a minute when you look outside! Trees were normally selected by their height and shade value alone and NOT by the type of root system they have which is where the problem lies. Intelligent modern streetscaping looks toward the usage of trees that are less likely to disrupt sidewalks and power/communication lines.

I shook my head every time I went by the medical center at the inersection of Mountain Ave and River Rd. because of the tree planting out front, thinking it was only a matter of a couple of years until the tree would be right into the cable lines and in another few would be into the power lines. Slower growing flowering Crabapple or Flowering Cherries might have been a much better alternative.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '20

In older developments, sometimes sidewalks are on private property, sometimes not.
The width of the paved R.O.W. is not always indicative of the width or the road.
Sometimes it meanders.
In lieu of an accurate property survey, I would suggest that a property owner with a problematic sidewalk in front of their home speak with their neighbors.
The cost of one or two “ squares” of concrete, repair can be drastically reduced in combination with a neighbor’s deficiency and while your at it, you can repair any crumbling masonry on your front stoop, and maybe a loose railing st your front door.
Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Stymie Stymie
Apr '20

dodgeball, once again for the people in the back. You cannot sue a residential homeowner for negligence. Knowledge of an unsafe condition, providing that you didn't create it, does not create a DUTY to fix it. Duty is the first step in establishing a prima facie case of negligence.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '20

seriously dodgeball the major flaw in your "plan" is once you report the broken sidewalk you are admitting you know about it and therefore should be aware of it the next time you walk on it.

Jim L Jim L
Apr '20

"You cannot sue a residential homeowner for a trip/slip and fall in front of their home, unless they created a hazard."

"You cannot sue a residential homeowner for negligence. Knowledge of an unsafe condition, providing that you didn't create it, does not create a DUTY to fix it. Duty is the first step in establishing a prima facie case of negligence."

So the hypothetical scenario has come up with an answer, thank you all. It appears someone with legal knowledge has given us all an answer.

You don't have to fix your broken or defective sidewalk, no one can sue you, you are good to go. So to those who have this problem and either cannot afford to or care not to remedy the situation, you are good to go.
This is the real data that you need to have. If you feel like fixing it, fine. If not, don't worry at all if your neighbor posts a picture of the sidewalk in front of your house and complains.
Thanks for playing!

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Apr '20

No, that is not the complete answer. You may be required to fix your sidewalk by the town, or the municipality, and you may be fined and/or charged if you do not fix it or if the town is required to fix it at your expense. But you cannot be sued in civil court for failing to fix the sidewalk that results in injury.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '20

Tracy, is that true for all NJ towns/municipalities?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '20

I have no idea. I was speaking generally. You'd have to look up an individual town ordinance regarding sidewalk maintenance. In Mount Olive, it doesn't look like there is any specific ordinance requiring maintenance of sidewalks by residents, other than for snow/ice removal.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '20

Tracy and 3wbdwnj

When my sister lived in Mt. Olive Twp. someone actually came by and either delivered or mailed a citation stating that they needed to fix their sidewalk. They had no abrupt rises, etc., just a smooth little dip and back up which the town said could harbor water and lead to a patch of ice come Winter. As in Hackettstown's case, they may have the laws for sidewalks spread out in their code.

As I mentioned above, Parsippany came around and proactively repaired sidewalks in front of my Parents' house. It's a mishmash.

P.S. I just checked https://ecode360.com/29945740

for Mt. Olive Twp. and they also require Sidewalk maintenance under 302-40B5a

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '20

Stupid is as stupid does. In many towns, sidewalks are the homeowners responsibility. I can understand for snow removal, etc. but repair and installation? Are they responsible for roads, wires, sewer, water and public signs? Why sidewalks? Who puts more usage from your piece of sidewalk, the owner or all the neighbors? The owner gets more usage from his neighbors sidewalk I would gather. And then we need all the laws to control this; to maintain consistency, etc etc. etc. Now neighbors must become sidewalk police creating better relationships across the town. And each owner has to pay for the smallest increment of sidewalk at probably the highest price per linear foot. No economies of scale. Just brilliant.

Just put the thing in taxes and let the town do it. Probably more efficient, economic, and effective that way. At least if you think “walkability” increases the value of your town.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Apr '20

Thanks, Phil D. I didn't do a very deep dive into the municipal codes, and my google search only turned up the snow removal ordinance.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '20

SD, as you know it is only this way because it is this way, historical. Towns don't want to cover the cost of maintenance as their budgets are already too costly. But, I agree it is arbitrary. Sidewalks are for the public, not for the homeowner each section of sidewalk resides on.

Stranger- let the town do it efficiently and economically?
Like the 7-10 man crews that fill mercadam potholes?
I can see a 5-6 man crew repairing a sidewalk for a total ( salary+benefits) $750/hr.

Stymie Stymie
Apr '20

Stymie, economies of scale is just the result of the efficiency of volume. I agree, Ijay, historical in many places but today it just doesn’t work well. Given the tax climate, hard to change too.

The seven man, one shovel legend actually began in the depression when people would rather starve than take assistance so jobs were kinda made up and oversubscribed.

If stymie-town has 10 men on one pothole and their managers let let get away with that and the political leaders pay for those managers not to manage well, I say, you should take pictures, take em to the newspaper and their political opponents and you can be heroes. Or just post that pic here. Can’t wait.

Apr '20

Legend?
Drive Schooley’s Mountain and you’ll see the legend in action.

Stymie Stymie
Apr '20

Take a picture. Can’t wait. Are you still talking potholes? Cuz that’s not Hackettstown.

Did they pay more than a homeowner would for that?

(Although I do agree NJ pays too much per mile for roads, I doubt the gouging is extra men on pothole duty).

Apr '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.