How to get homeless 28 year old into a shelter

She is spending nights on couches at friends and relatives houses. Her boyfriend beat her up and is in jail. She is extremely depressed and unemployed. Who can help this Hackettstown woman?

Warren Country Domestic Crisis Center

https://www.dasacc.org/

Great suggestion GC. I was going to recommend the same. They do great work there.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '19

Also was going to recommend DASACC. I hope she gets the help she needs.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '19

This might be helpful. https://www.lsnjlaw.org/Pages/Non-Legal%20Resources/DV-Emergency-Resources.aspx

HTownAce
Oct '19

DASACC has a shelter. Call them. They are very helpful. They will also provide counseling for her.

Breathe.. Breathe..
Oct '19

Cant the police direct her to a shelter ?

And her relatives will not step up ? How sad .

steven steven
Oct '19

You assume she has relatives.

htownguy htownguy
Oct '19

Can there be one thread without judgement?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '19

3wbdwnj, It is so sad but, no, there cannot. I've been an HL reader and very occasional poster for many years, probably from almost the beginning of HL, and have seen those types of posts get worse over time. I am glad the moderator no longer allows certain subjects to be posted. It has cut down quite a bit on nastiness, angry and judgemental types of posts. Thank you moderator.

Mrs. Pipes```` Mrs. Pipes````
Oct '19

https://www.dasacc.org/

Also she can call 211 for assistance at any time:
www.211.org

Keri,
Warren County Family Promise may also be able to provide resources for her. Does she have any children?

keanstudent keanstudent
Oct '19

My question...why is she 28 and unemployed?! If she is homeless, she should be taking a job ANYWHERE!

DancerLife
Oct '19

The people who have nothing but negative comments to share, I hope you find peace. You don't write mean spirited stuff online if you are happy and secure with yourself.

If you have nothing helpful to say, maybe sit on your reply and be honest with yourself about why you are posting.

HTownAce
Oct '19

HTownAce - This is an online forum. People are supposed to give their opinions. In the real world, opinions are not always puppy dogs and rainbows.

DancerLife - Maybe the abusive BF wouldn't let her out of his sight to go to work. There could be several other reasons as well. We don't have enough information at this point in time.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '19

You can also direct her to the Temporary Assistance and Social Services on Rt 519 in Belvidere. She needs to see someone to apply for General Assistance and Food Stamps and also Social Services as she is homeless. If she has children she would apply for TANF . Can also put her in touch with DASACC and counseling.

No we don't, but it's a valid question for sure. Almost like - why post anything when you haven't given all the fact?!

DancerLife
Oct '19

I don’t think the Original Poster’s intent was to divulge the finer details of the lady’s life so the Keyboard Kowboys on here could judge. It was to find resources to get her help. Privacy laws (or at least courtesy), people!

YeahRight YeahRight
Oct '19

Looks like some posters on here have given some good advise and ideas. Hope all turns out well.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Oct '19

I agree with Dancerlife. Why post on a public forum. She's been staying with friends/relatives and none of them could help her more or direct her to where to go? Seems to have people in her life. It sounds to me that she's looking for handouts and pity. While I don't know her whole situation, 28 and unemployed? McDonalds is hiring as well as other places in the surrounding area. Or part of the entitled millennial generation that does not want to help herself or can't because an emotional wreck?

neighborhoodwatcher
Oct '19

It will at least be satisfying when the apocalypse hits and neighborhoodwatcher doesn't get any help from their neighbors, since they are clearly not an entitled millennial.

DAWN Center for Independent Living can help with vocational services and other living arrangements if this person has a disability http://dawncil.org/core-services/adult-services/dawn-employment-network-services-dens/

kepa
Oct '19

I think all people who post on a site specifically telling others they should or should not post on a site should review their site postings to see that what they post on a site is appropriate compared to what they are telling others is appropriate to post on a site, via their postings.

Post that where you post it.

Post my muse, I think I am going postal.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '19

I'm curious of the outcome here? Where did she end up going?

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.