2017 Homestead Benefit filing deadline December 2, 2019

As per email from state:
The filing deadline for the 2017 Homestead Benefit is December 2, 2019. Any applications filed after this date will be considered late.
Who is eligible for a 2017 Homestead Benefit?

You are eligible if:
You were a New Jersey resident; and

You owned and occupied a home in New Jersey that was your principal residence on October 1, 2017; and

The 2017 property taxes were paid on that home; and

Your 2017 New Jersey gross income was not more than:

$150,000 for homeowners 65 or older or blind or disabled; or

$75,000 for homeowners under 65 and not blind or disabled.
You can file for a Homestead Benefit regardless of your income, but if it is more than the amounts above, we will deny your application.
If you were married or in a civil union, you must provide your spouse's/CU partner's Social Security number and birth year unless you maintained separate principal residences on October 1, 2017. For more information on civil unions, see our Civil Union Act page.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '19

"$75,000 for homeowners under 65 and not blind or disabled."

With NJ as expensive as it is, I wonder what percentage of homeowners actually qualify for this.....

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '19

On SS and even pensions, many will come under the line I think. Might depend on how well they have "sheltered" their assets that are spinning interest revenues.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '19

I was referring to people still working. I should have noted that.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '19

Median NJ income about 80,000 so close to 50% under $75K and, sorry, saw the 65 and figured it was over ------ clearly it is for working stiffs.

My problem which all these rebates is, crikey ---- just clean up the whole thing and stop with the workarounds, loopholes, and silly programs. Gee, I ain't old, a vet, or poor --- so suffer I must...… Just re-engineer the property tax for EVERYONE and quit parsing out the paltry perks to the niches.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '19

Remember when the average rebate was $1200? Now it’s $288. Yet, property taxes have almost tripled, since the 90’s. Salaries sure didn’t. Ahhh...the good old days.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Oct '19

Why are we filing a rebate in 2019 for two years ago?

Eperot Eperot
Oct '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.