Rt 57

Does anyone have an explanation as to what the state is doing with the project West of Rt 31?
As in, when will New Village get paved, and *what is up with the shoulders??*
For a project that started out there in June (possibly earlier?) you’d think they would be finished by now. It’s not like we’ve had a lot of rain.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '19

I was woundering too. Everything else is getting paved.

Sandy Tomlinson Sandy Tomlinson
Oct '19

The area you are referring to has a "new" waterline that Montana Construction installed starting last year. The "patch" job they did made the road like a washboard. My guess is the State finally made them fix the worst sections as they are now working on the side road after having tore up 57 Again to put in the water connections for the homes and businesses. My take on it is that once they are finished digging up Rt 57 then they will pave the road from where the new pavement ends and the start of Edison's Miracle Mile. I'm tired of getting my teeth jarred!

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
Oct '19

its called "The Concrete Mile"... the Miracle Mile is something else entirely (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '19

Are you talking about the section just west of the QuickChek? What’s up with the shoulders???

Philliesman Philliesman
Oct '19

I’m talking about the section of unfinished pavement in New Village as well as the shoulder treatment that starts in the boro and is intermittent/haphazard on both sides all the way to Phillipsburg.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '19

Apparently the stuff on the shoulders is a "high-friction surface treatment" which costs $25-$50 per square yard. So with 57's nice wide shoulders the treatment should add a nice, safe profit margin to hide some kickbacks in per standard NJ Operating Procedure.

But lemme tell you from personal experience: it is hell when you're riding a bicycle on it. Slippery loose surface gravel, not at all smooth, and kills your ability to coast. All those new "share the road" sings along 57 are definitely going to be tested when cyclists ride in the smooth paved traffic lane instead of the now more dangerous shoulders.

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Oct '19

The highway is a mess in that area! I actually take the longer smoother drive going West to P'burg by going on 46 to 519 in Belvidere. So much nicer!!!

Is the Miracle Mile part of the Mile High Club :>)

Then there's 57 to Brass Castle at CVS to Harmony Brass Castle to 519 to either 57 or Belvidere Road.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '19

it's a Rite Aid, not a CVS, at the corner of 57 and Harmony Brass Castle.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '19

Well google me wrong. Saw Belvidere Ave and chugged right ahead.

Think that's faster than 46 to 519?

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '19

Just there. Its a little better

Sandy Tomlinson Sandy Tomlinson
Oct '19

My preferred alternate route (primarily to avoid Washington Borough altogether) is 57 to Asbury Anderson Road to I-78. I don't even know if it's quicker or not, but it's a much more pleasant ride and you're less likely to get stuck behind a loaded dump truck along the way...

Edit... Google Maps indicates the Asbury Anderson route is 3 minutes faster but 1.5 miles longer from my current address to my previous address in Hackettstown. The US 46 route is 8 minutes and 4 miles longer, but your mileage (and timing) may vary depending on your exact starting and ending points.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '19

So it looks like this shoulder treatment is happening the length of Rt 57 from the West end of the boro all the way to Rt 22. What an unbelievable waste of money.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.