Xfinity cell phone service

Thinking about jumping ship from Verizon to Xfinity,they told me $12 for 1gig and unlimited talk/text ,total bill would be around $15-17 with all taxes for 1 line.They install new chip to use their network which I was told is free since I use them for internet/tv/landline....sounds like a good deal,I think I understood everything correctly on the phone with customer service....anyone use them for cell service thanks for any input/suggestions.

great topic, Dam - I was thinking about doing the same exact thing so I am curious to hear the responses

The R The R
Sep '19

I hate their cable service so I would be leery to switch. How do they get their "service", is it through cell towers or WiFi? Either way, I would question the areas as to where their cell service would work. I know Comcast isn't in all areas, so you may end up with a lot of dead zones. Not to mention, I find that their internet speed varies constantly - I would assume this would result in a lot of dropped calls. I wouldn't have the patience to deal with dropped calls....I barely, and when I say barely, I mean NONE - patience for Comcast in general.

DancerLife
Sep '19

I heard that Xfinity uses Verizon cell phone towers .

They are reselling Verizon cellular

Bug3
Sep '19

@Bug3 - does that mean they are using the Verizon towers?

DancerLife
Sep '19

More details

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/xfinity-mobile-faq,news-25223.html

Bug3
Sep '19

Yup..they are using Verizon towers and comcast hotspots

Bug3
Sep '19

We switched back in the spring and have had no issues at all. They use the Verizon towers. We used to pay $120 for 2 lines with Verizon. We do by the gig and the bill hasn’t been more than $60-ish. No complaints at all.

Blackcat Blackcat
Sep '19

Have it for two lines. Ok when Verizon is good or good WiFi.
Keep in mind the $12 gig is shared. The unlimited is by the line. Good heal for $40 unlimited per line

I switched from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile over a year ago and am very happy with the service and the price. I use WiFi for data whenever I can, so my data usage is usually less than the 1G.

JoeO
Sep '19

I'd say it depends on your lifestyle/activities. I spend a lot of time in the woods and Verizon has never let me down. Friends with a service that "uses Verizon towers" have lost signal where I have had zero issues. They may be using their towers but they're not getting the same exact service...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Sep '19

Verizon wireless ads in today's NY Times promoting 5G. Five full page ads in the Business Section, two full page ads in the Magazine.

From Independence Twp, I repeatedly get dropped calls and many times can't even get a signal strong enough to make a call. Cell service a few years ago was fine! Now my mobile phone has to pick up a signal from their Oxford tower 10 miles away!

Why can't Verizon invest as much in advertising as in their operations for basic cell service in this, the most densely populated state in America?

Don't even get me started on fiber optic service......

5G is going to be the lead in our water.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '19

Hi, can you use your own phone for Comcast or do you have to purchase their phones? and is there a contract? Y or N. Curious.

AJMS....I brought my phone and they put a SIM card for free to use their network ,no contract 1 gig is $12 plus taxes,2gigs $24 plus taxes.I did mine 2 weeks ago so far so good.

What happens when you go where comcast is not around?

I was told if you had good Verizon coverage you would have good Xfinity coverage because they use the same cell tower....

I don't trust that, Dam. Based on experience with other companies that "use" Verizon towers. Maybe people I know were just unlucky

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Oct '19

Is anyone successfully using any of the no-contract cell phone carriers? (other than the big 4) I'm tired of paying Verizon's long list of taxes, fees, surcharges and other mysterious charges.

I've read mixed reviews about the "smaller guys" like Cricket, T-Mobile, Total Wireless, to name a few.

Local Gal Local Gal
Jan '20

I first had Cricketwireless for about 2 years and they were pretty good but when I needed a new phone they were gone to soak me. I checked out MetroPCS and at the time they were offering decent phones for free so I switched to them. I have had their unlimited plan with 2 lines for 2 years for $80 a month total, on autopay. There service is pretty good also no issues

Jimt1058
Jan '20

Death and taxes dear.....don’t think changing vendors will fix that....

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '20

Depends on how much you use phone/text/data.
I have used Tracfone for at least 20 years. By buying thru HSN or QVC you can get a good phone + 365 days of service, 1500 Min phone, 1500 texts and 1.5 gig data for as low as 70 or 80.00. Extra data is $10. a gig. There is no contract. Worth a look!

I second what EW says regarding Tracfone, though there is sometimes an issue with talking about any problems you may have, either on their blog or in person over the phone or online chat. On the blog, they'll often respond by minimizing the issues you're having and to call a rep, rather than asking about it and/or bashing them online. They don't want any negative publicity or discussion at all.

The other issue is when you buy minutes, even when logged onto your account it may say you're entitled to double the minutes, but when you pay for it, it goes onto your account as not doubled. I enquired about that and they claimed my phone wasn't entitled to doubled minutes to which I replied I was logged in and on the account for that particular phone at the time, so Tracfone knew exactly what phone I had and whether it should have doubled or not and if not should NOT have shown up as doubled on my screen before paying because that's false advertisement. They ended up giving me the minutes.

The lesson there is to check and double check that you get credit for ALL the minutes and time they've advertised and that you believe you're paying for. The other issue is due to the fact that India and the rest of the world mostly goes by DD/MM/YYYY, rather than MM/DD/yyyy like we do, days of the month 12 and under may get swapped position-wise if you're talking to someone on the phone. That's not really their fault, since the rep has to deal with their date system and ours and it's easy to swap the day and month of the end of service day, etc.

Other than that, I've been using them for almost 15 years and have had no major issues. They are somewhat behind on offering the latest phones on their site for usage with their service, but they do offer you the ability to "port in" your own phone and use it on their network. I did note that when I moved my landline fromOptimum to Tracfone, they didn't have them listed as a VOIP provider at the time and that made it take an extra length of time to move my home landline to a cell line, but that is likely solved now and should take less than the 10+ days it took me.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '20

I've been using Airvoice Wireless for six years now, never an issue. You can do unlimited or pay as you go. Since l'm not a heavy data user (always around wifi at home or work) l usually only pay $10 per month. Just own your phone.

GF is using Visible and she couldn't be happier at $40 per month unlimited everything and no contract.

Point is, anyone using traditional companies and their crazy expensive plans should really reconsider unless you like burning cash.

Eperot Eperot
Jan '20

Thank you for your replies. When all's said and done, I got a great promo deal from Metro by T-Mobile. Got an iPhone 7 on sale for $100 (brand new) Unlimited everything for $50 a month, taxes and fees included. Good riddance to Verizon,

Plus the sales person, gave me a docking station for music, protective cover and car charger for free

Local Gal Local Gal
Jan '20

So how is Xfinity cell phone service ?

Well it’s almost a year for me,I have no complaints with anything...and I’m loving the $13 and change monthly bill !

I have had tracfone since 2004 and found a coupon code for 50 bucks off the yearly smart phone service of 125 . So 80.77 with tax which comes out to 6.73 a month .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Sep '20

97XBAM

Care to share the coupon code if it's still active?

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

It was good up until the end of July Phil , which was when my service ran out . I just got lucky I guess . Here is the site where I found it tracfonereviewer . It's now saying the 50 dollar off smart phone promo code for September is 22448. BTW thanks for the heads up on the gas station in Hopatcong that has the decent price on kerosene . Much cheaper than the Shell station on 57 . Good luck !

https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/p/tracfone-promo-codes.html

97XBAM 97XBAM
Sep '20

Xfinity is fine here. We’ve had it for over a year. The ability to switch data plans within the month is great. We used to do by the gig, then my son got his phone and we bumped it up to 3. If I see we’re heading to be more than 5-6, I switch to 10.

Blackcat Blackcat
Sep '20

97XBAM

Thanks very much, since I have renewal on one of my phones in 5 days. You're welcome for the tip on the kerosene. As I think I mentioned, my Dad would drive from Parsippany just to pick it up there, as it was the cleanest burning fuel he'd found too.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

As a former Verizon subscriber have had xfinity mobile since the beginning of summer and so far can’t tell any difference

Regrandomguy Regrandomguy
Sep '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.