Byram Diner Closed

Byram Diner Closed

The Byram Diner in Byram NJ has closed and is being demolished.The property will be soon be home to a new Quik-Chek convenience store and fuel station.

murof
Sep '19

in 32 years, there have never been more than 4 cars in parking lot....he had a large piece of property that leads back onto Brookwood road....the neighborhood does not want it

steven steven
Sep '19

I really do not understand how they can allow another gas station with the brook immediately across the road and the property pitched towards it .

steven steven
Sep '19

By the way ...picture is quite old....motel had been gone for over a decade +

steven steven
Sep '19

Went by there the other day and there was yellow crime scene tape around the whole property.

I always thought it was a front for criminal activity because there were never cars in the lot but yet they somehow managed to stay open forever. Admittedly, I may watch too much TV...

Joe Friday Joe Friday
Sep '19

Joe- you can say the same thing about Willys hot dogs- how do they keep the lights on?

I always thought it was closed and abandoned.

Some pf the finest memories I will never have came from this diner.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '19

I hope this works out better than the "shoprite in blairstown" rumour

Bug3
Sep '19

Willy’s actually makes some decent chicken fingers

Where's Byram?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Sep '19

That's a shame. I'd stop there on travels to and from my Mom's home in PA. Good food and nice service. I also enjoyed the late, lamented Mountainside Diner just down the road.

Kenneth Morgan Kenneth Morgan
Sep '19

There's a quick check across the street.....is that quick check taking over the diner spot?

Their chicken pie was really wonderful.It was nice and toasty and flaky with a gravy on top. I don't see reason to go up in that area again; but just a good memory.

Angela Angela
Oct '19

The diner has been demolished.

Murif
Oct '19

When was it ever open? It was always closed when I drove by.

Mj

Yes, Quick Chek has been fighting with Byram Twp. for a long time to grab that spot and make it into a larger gas-selling location like they did in Hopatcong and they want to do (and apparently will do) here in Hackettstown. In Hopatcong's case, it was a no-brainer. They had a small QC downtown and the property that was the location of a number of failed clubs was up for sale. It was in an easy in and out location on Lakeside Blvd. where you have a lane going each way and a turning lane in the middle as well as shoulders.

Of course here, they had a plan to build in Washington Twp. on Rt. 46E across from the Target entrance, but I believe W.T. got that shut down via the wetlands there and Highlands Act. (though I'm not totally positive on that one).

Of course plans to put it here on Mountain Ave., across from the current QC have been met with opposition and rightly so. Traffic is often ridiculous there to begin with, mainly since the DOT Traffic engineers don't seem to have a clue. When the bridge was rebuilt on 46, the light timing just afterwards was pretty good and seemed to allow for maximal flow (at least IMO due to being at that intersection in various directions at many times of the day. They returned the timing to what it had been, or close to it and of course everything jammed up again and yes, that's taking into account that 46 was now open going westward. Keeping the light timing as it was during construction or close to it seemed to help greatly in terms of overall traffic flow. Placing this new monstrosity in that already dangerous corner does not seem to have any positive effects for the community at large, especially since they seem to not be recommending a light at that corner. I'm sure it's too complex a thing for them to figure proper timing with the 5 points light and there will be many folks essentially "blocking the box", as they quite often do at the Moore St. & Rt. 46 intersection.

In Byram's case, people that prefer QC coffee over DD coffee in the morning rush will mainly be trying to cross over from Rt. 206S to the Northbound side corner, then try to rejoin Southbound traffic through the Brookwood Rd./Waterloo Rd./Rt. 206 intersection. That's where it could be problematic shpould there be a lot of AM commuters trying to "push the light" to get there with Northbound traffic also trying to do the same. I've seen it often and they'd need the police monitoring that intersection to grab scofflaws in the hopes of monitoring behavior so nobody gets killed. The PM commute doesn't seem to be near as problematic (based on my own observations only, of course).

As you can see, I definitely understand steven's concerns at the top of the thread. There is also the fact he mentions that I'll expand upon. A branch of "Lubber's Run" is on a downhill slope on the other side of Brookwood and the corner bank. Lubber's Run then joins/becomes the Musconetcong River within a mile or so of there and it doesn't join it as a small stream at that point either. Above that branch it's the drainage for both Jefferson Lake and Lake Lackawanna and if you check the map, you'll find that it essentially IS a main source/headwater of the Musconetcong River. Safeguards should be in place against accidental spillage since the property drops off rapidly towards Lubber's Run.

This is all just my opinion and conjecture of course, but while QC is supposedly rated as one of NJ's top businesses to work for, the "bulldozing" of communities by their lawyer team and "sold out" historic consultants seems to not be for sites that would not always work well in partnership with the community. In Hopatcong's case, yes, it was definitely a great move for all involved. For Byram and Hackettstown, I think, great move? Not so much.

But of course, as they say. "Build it and they will come". We'll see what the results are after the sites are up and running.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '19

Saw the rubble on Thursday morning and felt a bit sad. My friends and I used to stop there for coffee and french fries with gravy after nights at the Stanhope House or the Rockpile many years ago. That was the only place I ever ordered french fries with gravy.

Wendy Wendy
Oct '19

Funny, growing up near Buffalo, we had a school indoor pool.....and winters were cold. Post week-end swim, with frozen hair, we would enter the town diner, order up some fries and warm up to that hot oil covering.

Ah.... memories.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '19

Re: Byram Diner Closed

Wendy has it correct.Stopping by the Byram Diner after nights at Aunt Kates or the Rockpile and Stanhope house.The french fries and gravy was a great way to finish off the night.

murof
Oct '19

Quik Chek is building a combination convenience store and fuel plaza on the old Byram Diner property.

murof
Oct '19

I passed by there last week and lots of site work is going on at that corner. They seem to be wasting no time at getting it done.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '20

This is so sad for me. I used to hang at the Byram Diner from the late 60s to the mid 70s. My parents had a summer house at Cranberry Lake. I spent many days and nights hanging there with my friends from Brookwood. In the last 20 years - I’d make an annual visit.

Bob Donlan Bob Donlan
Mar '20

I passed by last Saturday and it the building was up. Looks as though they're planning on opening not far in the future.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '20

Byram Township is run by a bunch of pretentious jerks.

Person23 Person23
Apr '20

Re: Byram Diner Closed

My mother used to work there. I lived in the motel too. I miss my jersey home. I knew the owners for the diner and motel. My deceased mother would of been sad to see it go. But as the saying goes nothing lasts forever.

Marzanna Roloson Marzanna Roloson
Oct '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.