Fluorescent bulb disposal

I just swapped out eight 8' fluorescent bulbs in the garage. What do I do with the old ones? Can I just break them and throw them in the trash? Will a trash hauler pick them up for a fee?

ianimal ianimal
Sep '19

Breaking them releases the mercury in there. You don't want to do that. It's considered hazardous waste.

If your town has a collection program they may take it directly. Otherwise the next drop off for hazardous items is Sept 29th at the Warren Landfill in Oxford.

http://pcfawc.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/FALL-2019-HHW.pdf

We just replaced a few in our basement and simply put them out the next day with the trash. (Unbroken).. They are gone....

joyful joyful
Sep '19

Home Depot takes the bulbs, but not all of them accept bars. They advise calling the manager before bringing bars in.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Sep '19

Lowes also takes bulbs; but I'm not sure if they take all bulbs.

Mrs. Pipes```` Mrs. Pipes````
Sep '19

You really should not toss them in the trash. Nor break them. Found that out the hard way after a 8-hour night of janitorial mass removal, a trash compacter, and a very stern reprimand. But it sounded so cool. Hope we were upwind. Time for the ole duck tape to lash em all together.

Takes a real man to wholesale replace; are they brighter?

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '19

Actually, it takes a lazy man to wait until 5 of the 6 fixtures are burned out with the last one beginning to flicker to replace them all... except that I didn't replace the two in the center; it's glaringly bright in there with only eight 75W bulbs burning. Four more would be like staring into the sun.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '19

Home Depot does not take the tubes. I was told I have to take them to the County Hazard Waste event, but I haven't felt like driving over there & sitting for hours in line, so they are duct-taped together, in a corner of my junk-gathering room.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Sep '19

Iman --- now that's an SD answer! I just bought some $20 fixtures only to find I needed $1M bulbs... :>) Then I backed em up with the existing incandescent fixtures running 200W (ie equivalent LED lumens) LEDs for beyond Walmart white light.

I find the fluorescents are nice but without diffusers are pretty limited in spreading the light very far. The LEDs cover that and provide extra capabilities to change the mood light in the SD man cave.

LD --- maybe your duck, not duct :>) taped column can come over and keep mine comfortable. It's standing right next to the unsupported LP bottle and oil-based paints...… Gotta love NJ.....

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '19

I worked in a retail store where the fluorescent lights were replaced every year.They just threw the old lights in the garbage dumpster.

murof
Sep '19

Did you try Lowes?

For reals For reals
Sep '19

Gotta love Shoprite's commitment to the environment...

Lonesome if you get to hazardous waste day early, you will not wait. Then go to a diner for breakfast!!

maja2 maja2
Sep '19

Yeah, for the Warren County version, I started going 30 minutes before opening. And there's still a line :>(

I bring a paper, coffee, something to munch on, and a prayer that I can make it before the coffee must be dispatched :>( No cover on that run...…. Maybe next time, I will add a mason jar.... (is that hazardous waste?)

By the time I get through, the line is down to the intersection by the quarry/cement place. So I feel better, but not that much :>(

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '19

I bring all questionable products to the Oxford hazardous wastes day that is held twice a year. Old gasoline, oil paints, electronics and fluorescent bulbs etc. On the way home we go to hot dog johnnys.

Robert J Rowe Robert J Rowe
Sep '19

In order to get 8' bulbs in my Accord, I need to put down the back seats and they still extend to within a foot and a half of the dashboard, resting on the center console.

With my luck, somewhere along the 20 mile drive to Oxford, I'll get rear-ended, all the bulbs will shatter, leaving me sliced and diced with acute mercury poisoning as an added bonus. I think they'll stay duct-taped in my garage until my Borough has their own hazmat clean-up day.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '19

No mini van for the crew? You’re a Dad. Time to put away un Dad- like things. :-).

I’m old. Already traded in my mid-life crisis machines....

But I’ll always have my faithful truck. Older than my kids and never leaves home, for long :-)

Sep '19

Dude, it's a Honda Accord, not a Corvette or Challenger... not exactly a mid-life crisis indicator; it's actually very family-friendly. I only have two kids, not a hockey team.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '19

Dudimal; sorry for the misunderstanding. Never said you were in crisis; I was, am :-). But not for American muscle; me and my peeps tend to turbo charged, high tech, road rally sports sleepers. Although I do like those Challengers and Cameros.

I said un Dad-like things. And I take it back since you are in “America’s most impressive mid-size sedan,” according to Honda. Should have said un Granddad-like things....

Just mousing you. Think you are gonna need more space as things tend to grow.... Best luck with lights and life.

Sep '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.