Best cable modem for Comcast

I;ve got to stop paying $13 + for monthly rental. There is 4 or5 brands at Walmart.
Are there clear differences ? I use Roku alot but do not stream to laptop or phone.
I do use an internet radio a lot. Oh, and use Comcast for landline phone. Thanks.

go to the Comcast site and pick one that works with comcast..they will give you model numbers for specific speeds

bug3
Sep '19

Make sure to get a modem and router in one. Just a modem isn’t going to work with comcast.

Confusionsets
Sep '19

That’s not true. I have just a cable modem, self bought, for over 11 years now.

Do not get a combined modem/router. Typically they are cheaper parts combined and you will need to replace it if one has an issue. Like Josh I had my own modem and my own router on Comcast with no problems for over 8 years that I had Comcast. Never paid a rental to them.

I have an Arris combo modem and router. Been working fine for many years without issue. I too refuse to pay the rental fee.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/comcast-compatible-modem/pckg3obvyuob442

not sack
Sep '19

We finally bought our own modem.
Motorola MG7700.
Works fine for us.

Blackcat Blackcat
Sep '19

I use the Comcast modem/router combo but had them put it in "bridge mode" to disable the router. I bought my own router to use with it so I use the Comcast provided modem and my own router.

JB400 JB400
Sep '19

We use this one, have had it for 3 years with no issues.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JGT2JI6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hktownie hktownie
Sep '19

Get seperate modem and router.
I have a Surfboard SBG 6580 which is a combined router/modem and the router portion was not very strong.
I have now turned off the router portion of ithe Surfboard and use it just as a modem. I bought a netgear router and my wifi signal is much better that before.

JB400, so you are still paying for the Comcast modem/router using only the modem part. Wasted money to me.

Any input on the Net Gear nighthawk ac1900 WiFi cable modem router,I have xfinity/Comcast and it’s compatible...wonder if it’s good for basic use at home? No kids or games,desktops computers, just a basic iPad and printer ..thanks for any input/suggestions.

Dam

I think that should be plenty enough for your needs, but that's just me. I got one (router only version with that model number) a couple of years back to replace my earlier Netgear which had finally bitten the dust, at least on the LAN ports for some reason. The wifi signal was still fine. I upgraded and the AC 1900 gave me excellent coverage on both bands all through the house and yard.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '19

Well just a update I bought the one I mentioned above...I cut the ties with Xfinity with the modem rental and I’m saving $13 a month.So far so good with this...it seems a lot faster than the modem I was renting,thanks for the input Phil D.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.