Found Cat - Mansfield Village

Found Cat - Mansfield Village

This cat showed up in Mansfield Village about a month ago. Appears to be a lost pet, not feral. Hopefully a missing pet and not dumped.

Worried Worried
Sep '19

This cat looks similar to the one reported missing from Diamond Hill back in July.

www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/906002

That does have the same markings. Hoping for a happy ending.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '19

faces are very different

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '19

The picture of the cat found in Mansfield Village looks older than the one missing from Diamond Hill. Could be the picture of the Diamond Hill cat was taken at a young age. However, if you look at the markings of the two cats they are very similar.

One cat looks grey and one looks brown

Hackresident Hackresident
Sep '19

This is not the cat that was missing from Diamond Hill. Owner reports that cat has been found.

Not the same cat. This one has a lot of white on his/her face. The other one did not. Only on chest & paws. Too bad. Would be nice to reunite.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Sep '19

Check out the noses of the two. They are very different.

Angela Angela
Sep '19

The two vertical lines above the nose and eyes are similar in both cat photos. This cat might becoming lighter in color from the sun as it is outside which might explain the present lighter grey color from brown but both have the white markings in the middle. Either way..a beautiful cat which I pray can find it’s owner soon before the cooler fall temperatures arrive.

Cympathetique Cympathetique
Sep '19

See how the ear is tipped. That’s a sign of a car that has been trapped, neutered, and released!

LittleWing LittleWing
Sep '19

LittleWing is absolutely right. I have a cat with the same clipping... Has this cat been seen recently?

The clipped ear is a dead give away. A trap neuter and release cat. We had been feeding one at our house for about a year then it disappeared. Hope it is alright we even trapped it once and took it took the vet because it had a eye infection. Tried to get close to it but would have nothing to do with us just wanted our food.

so the one in the original post has not been spotted lately?

The cat in the picture I trapped and had fixed recently. Just wanted to post a picture in case he's a lost pet. I'm guessing some lovely person left him behind or dumped him but in case, by some miracle, he has a family looking that cares, I wanted to post this.

Worried Worried
Sep '19

Hi Worried,
Thank you for posting... I am concerned because I know people are very quick to just "dump" their cats when they move... Please let me know if you continue to see him. I would be happy to foster him until an owner shows up...

Thank you for the update.

FYI not every cat with a clipped ear is a catch-and-release case...two of my cats were originally caught from the street, neutered, and their ears were clipped, but their dispositions were so sweet and gentle the shelter decided to adopt them out.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Sep '19

LMS that is VERY kind of you. I am pretty sure he was dumped. May have been dumped with a tuxedo as they seem to hang around together. If I determine he is friendly, I'll let you know. It is often hard at first to tell if it's a dumped pet vs a less timid feral. Dumped pets usually don't go up to people they don't know either. It's disgusting how people just move and leave pets or dump them someplace. I wish those people the exact fate they have inflicted on these poor animals. Homeless & hungry.
Honestyseasy - absolutely, not all ear tipped cats are feral. Thank goodness the shelter put them up for adoption and it's great you didn't care about their little tipped ears :)

worried worried
Sep '19

Those poor things! One of my cats is from a house that was foreclosed on and the family just left all of their cats including kittens and a pregnant mama! Pets are family. Don't get one if you're not in it for the long haul. I agree with you. Sometimes there are dumped cats and other times they are "feral" but note quite as "vicious" as some feral cats are deemed to be. I am right there with you. Those poor little souls don't get a choice in the matter and people who can live with themselves after doing something like that are just... heartless. Thank you for doing what you did and please do keep me posted.

Honesyseasy-I agree with Worried, not all cats with clipped ears are feral. I got my one cat from the adoption group that I work with and he had a clipped ear. He may have been a stray at one point, but he's nothing but a sweet lap cat now! :)

Re: Found Cat - Mansfield Village

I have been feeding this cat regularly for the last couple of months (he showed up one day in July). At first just a night or two a week but lately a lot more. Since day one he didn't strike me as feral because he walked up pretty close to me until I put the food down. He would growl until I walked away but I figured out he was just being protective of his food. I took a chance and tried to pet him and sure enough he was all growl and nothing else. Didn't run away or hiss, scratch, bite, nothing, just kept eating. It was clear he wasn't 100% comfortable but every now and then when he'd show up I'd try again. Eventually he stopped growling all together.

This morning I managed to scratch his back a little bit and it was like a light bulb went off and he started purring! I was finally able to scratch behind his ears and he loved it. I have no doubt he belonged to someone at some point in time and just went into "survival mode" when he found himself outside. Or perhaps he was an indoor/outdoor cat that got lost.

Now that I know he can get adjusted and be friendly, I would love for him to find a home. Since he showed up in the summer I worry he may not know where to find shelter yet for the winter. So I'm looking for places to try calling. I know about PAL and 11th hour and will try them but any other suggestions would help in case they are full, which is usually the case.

Please note, I know its only been a day, I will continue to make sure he is comfortable with being touched and friendly, as well as see how he reacts to being picked up and with strangers before officially sending him to a rescue for adoption.

Anyway sorry for the long post and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Oct '19

You can make him a shelter out of a Rubbermaid container and straw. Or, if you’d like, I can make one for him.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Oct '19

Try FURR
https://www.felineurbanrescueandrehab.org/

Send me a PM, I have a weather proof shelter you can have.

Positive Positive
Oct '19

I hope the owner is located for this beautiful cat!

Oct '19

There is a notice of a missing cat on a mailbox over by apartment block 500 (can't remember what building number). All I recall is she was grey and white. If I can get over there today or tomorrow I'll give you the phone number or particulars.

HackersShouldDie HackersShouldDie
Oct '19

We do put shelters out for them and try to hide them but unfortunately if maintenance workers find them they throw them out.

Hackers,
Thanks for the letting me know! Are you sure it was female? This one is a male. I think I know what building that is so I'll check and see just incase. It would be great if someone was looking for him and can be reunited.

He gets very excited about food and this morning lost patience while I was getting it together in a bowl. He decided to jump up onto my car seat to get it! I was very surprised he didn't mind me picking him up to move him at all, even when a claw got stuck on my seat cover.

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Oct '19

I was going to go take a picture of the flyer as I had one on my mailbox as well. Someone took it down as of today though. The cat in that flyer did resemble the on in ops picture and unless it was a type has been missing since some time in 2018. I don't remember the markings though so can't be sure. If someone has it still they should post the picture.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Oct '19

It's being posted on Warren County Lost Pets............hope the owner is found............looks like a great kitty

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '19

Please tell me someone took in this kitty??

4catmom, thanks! I forgot about that, and I'll post on pawboost and other lost and found sites. I dont know how that slipped my mind, I guess my first thought is always to post here.

NJ, unfortunately no he is outside of my apartment I'm taking care of him until I figure something out. I definitely want to make sure no one is looking for him before contacting rescues. I also want to get him to the vet again and have him checked out.

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Oct '19

Update: took him to the vet this morning and he is all good, no fleas and tested negative for fiv/felv. He was the sweetest thing after he calmed down and realized he was okay. Put up with everything the vet did and even started purring when he was checking for a chip. Unfortunately no chip was found. I am definitely looking for someone who will take this sweet boy in, he does not belong outside.

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Oct '19

Here he is at the vets office after he calmed down

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Oct '19

Did this little guy finally find his home....?

CommonSense CommonSense
Dec '19

I think he's available thru Eleventh Hour Rescue, if his foster doesn't decide to adopt him :)

worried worried
Dec '19

Thanks for responding, Worried! I'll gladly take him if he's still available! Will be checking with 11th Hr tomorrow!

CommonSense CommonSense
Dec '19

CommonSense, that's awesome! Keep us posted. He's a sweet cat :)

worried worried
Dec '19

The Cats Meow and all,

Thanks for feeding this beautiful boy! He looks good and healthy; Wish all strays can do and look as well.

Common Sense, You as adoptee will be one lucky pet owner!

Dec '19

Well.... I Tried..... that next morning, I completed their application and left them a convincing message on their hotline. A woman responded via email that he was indeed available & that I was being considered. I didn't hear back from them so earlier this eve, I sent a follow-up email and she just now let me know that he was adopted yesterday. Assuming his foster family kept him. Oh well.... I'm disappointed but at least we know he's got a good home.... Thanks Worried, Thecatsmeow & All, for your info and for caring!

CommonSense CommonSense
Dec '19

Common sense,

I have been in contact with the foster and met them when I dropped him at 11th hour. Yes they have decided they couldn't part with him and will be keeping him. He is a very sweet boy so I'm not surprised he won them over. I am sad I couldn't keep him but happy he is loved and doing well!

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
Dec '19

Great news!

Worried Worried
Dec '19

Wonderful news - thanks to all who helped this kitty.

NJatHeart NJatHeart
Dec '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.