Local credit union for new car

Hey all,

I was shopping for a new car yesterday for Frau Consigliere and was about to pull the trigger at Sussex Honda until they told me that the rate on a new Passport wasn’t the 2.9% they quoted me on the phone. They said Honda’s rate on that particular vehicle was much higher but they could get me 3.9% through a bank. I felt a bit deceived so I walked (apparently, having it in writing through email doesn’t mean anything anymore).

Can anyone recommend a local credit union with good rates?

Thank you!

Consigliere
Sep '19

3.9% is quite competitive. Loan rate depends on your credit score.

If you have it in email; it should be good. Try the words bait n switch and see if that moves them.

I like Sussex Honda; got two, no issues.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '19

Why not call Hackettstown Honda and check their rate?
I wouldn’t purchase from Sussex based on scenario above on principle.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '19

Ingersoll Rand Credit Union has 60-month loans at 3.00% APR. Longer terms have higher rates, shorter terms have lower rates...

https://www.ircocu.org/rates/

ianimal ianimal
Sep '19

print the email from Sussex Honda and bring it to Hackettstown Honda to meet or beat the interest rate.

be care too. Look for "The Car" online there, in person, they quote you higher if you don't see the "Internet Price"!

Hackresident Hackresident
Sep '19

Credit is excellent. Whatever their top tier/best rate is what I’m after and would qualify for. I’m giving Hackettstown one more shot right now. I emailed them multiple times since Thursday and, just 10 minutes ago got the response “sorry, our email was down.”

Sussex honda’s excuse was “ohhh no the woman who told you that was reading from the region B rates. Region B is west of the Mississippi.” *eye roll*

Consigliere
Sep '19

https://www.americanfinancialsolutions.org/blog/auto-loan-bank-or-dealership

You may have gotten a point held back

Skippy Skippy
Sep '19

I dug a bit deeper and noticed today is the last day of Honda Financial’s current programs. Tomorrow will be the first day of new offers. I’m hoping they’ll want to clear the way for 2020 passports and they’ll be a bit more aggressive.

Consigliere
Sep '19

I just leased a hr-v from Hackettstown Honda
We had a wonderful experience are sales guy name was Moe. He was great he didn't pressure us at all. Worked in our budget

Cheryl Bruno Cheryl Bruno
Sep '19

WOW! Hackettstown Honda just pulled the SAME 2.9% bait and switch. Got there, they appraised my trade-in and then told me “we made a mistake, the 2.9% is not for our region.” Thanks for wasting my time...turds.

Consigliere
Sep '19

If you’re expecting a verbal to be a contract...... But if you get 3%, why even work for .1%? If the dealer gives you an interest deal, you probably will lose it in price. If you have cash; you can bargain best price.

Sep '19

I’d contact Honda USA and tell them your story.
I’d also quiry which “ region” it is for.
Tip:
Did one deal with Hackettstown Honda and they tried to rake me over the coals 3 years later.
Went to Towne Toyota and picked up a RAV4
Hybrid loaded..
Getting 35-38 MPG.
Better vehicle- very happy.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '19

That's one reason I will never go to a car dealership again. Got my car in March from carvana. You may want to check it out.

Ollie Ollie
Sep '19

Baker Federal Union in Washington has "as low as" 2.25% listed on website for up to 36 months on new car loans.

Hopeful Hopeful
Sep '19

SD, it wasn’t verbal. HH sent an email with the breakdown of all tax and fees along with interest rate. It’s not .1 (2.9 vs 3.0) it’s 2.9 vs 5.6. That adds up over the term of the loan and is why I am considering cash now. I just always figure if it’s under 3% for car loans I’d rather keep my money nice and snug.

Consigliere
Sep '19

Thank you, Hopeful and Ianimal.

Consigliere
Sep '19

Sorry, thought the first post said quoted on the phone and the later post said “they said.” If it’s in writing.....well, probably a pita to yell bait n switch, etc.......but I would, right in the middle of the showroom.

Iman had a five year 3.0% for sixty months. And now 2.25% for 36 mths but that’s pretty tight.

I don’t take many loans, only car one but I always take them from a bank, never from a supplier. Keeps the deal cleaner for bargaining on price without them screwing with loan terms .

Good luck and keep shopping until you like what you see.

Sep '19

Thanks, SD. After work tomorrow I’m off to Ray Price in PA. My wife thinks I’m crazy but I actually enjoy being in a situation where this is a “want” and not a “need.”

Consigliere
Sep '19

Con- isn’t that like going to the Dentist and telling them to drill.... just find something?

Stymie Stymie
Sep '19

I agree. Just enjoy the experience for what it is: getting the lowest price! I mean you know shat you want, you know what it costs. Now, back and enjoy the antics. Like the time Town Toyota tried to shame me when I said I had to ask my wife like they couldn’t hold the deal 24 hours. I wheeled and offered cash on 10% less. When the gentleman said he had to get the manager, well, let the shaming begin. And I am pretty sure the word “wife” was descriptively used.... Yeah, that wad fun.

So enjoy, and don’t suffer fools. Walk. Squawk. There’s always another one or wait a couple months and they will all be new. Wherever you buy, they all cover warranty. .

Sep '19

September is the new model year....e sure to use that to your advantage ...

steven steven
Sep '19

Ya know, in this day and age, is "e sure," a typo or a new internet service :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '19

sorry ...a typo …"be sure"

steven steven
Sep '19

Just use a sharpie.....

Sep '19

We picked up a 2018 pilot last year just when the 19 was released. Htown honda had us sit to wait for an associate. 10 min later nobody came to help us. So we left and drove to pburg honda. Financed the pilot through them for .9%. Couldn't refuse. Hackettstown honda did not have that deal at the time either from what I remember.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Sep '19

Just an update for everyone since I know you’ve all been losing sleep over my wife’s new car purchase :)

Just left Ray Price Honda in Stroudsburg and I’m pretty impressed with the figures they gave me. So far it’s the best number on my trade and the lowest selling price. PA is the place to go. They aren’t pushy at all and, according to the salesman, PA state law caps the doc fee at $144. Most nj dealers were $400-$500 for doc with Toyota world of Newton (looked at the highlander) wanted $599 plus a $349 “etching” fee! Basically another $1000 on top of the price, which is higher to begin with.

I’m going to call some of the aforementioned CU and banks to get my own financing. And return to Ray Price with a check. Thanks a bunch everyone!

Consigliere
Sep '19

Check Picatinny Federal Credit Union as well. They have a branch in Mt Olive. Very competitive rates

https://www.picacreditunion.com/products-services/loans/auto-center/auto-rates/

So far the best rate I found locally is Vision Credit Union on 46. If anyone has a review of them, please at me know.

Consigliere
Sep '19

Uh.... 50-year company, 51 regional branches, NJ has pretty hard-core loan laws..... good pr https://www.visionsfcu.org/news,

seemingly good reviews and employee reviews: https://www.google.com/search?q=vision+fcu+reviews&ie=&oe=

I dunno, unless they get sold, and it looks more like they be buying...….

you never know, but think you be OK, think you found a winner.

Have you started your GoFundMe page yet? :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.