Grief help for a pet

Is there any such thing? Thank you for your help.

happiest girl
Aug '19

I think maybe there should be. I don't know that there are rules to grief support groups that require you to be grieving a human. You could try one and see if it helps. Everyone's own grief is their own and not for anyone else to judge whether or not you should be grieving your mom or your dog. Going may help you in ways that might be surprising.
I'm very sorry for your loss. Pets are the most unconditional love giving creatures that give us such great comfort. Your grief is quite understandable.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Aug '19

The veterinary hospital I used to take my dogs to offers one. It is, however, a bit of a drive.

https://www.redbankvet.com/pet-owners/pet-loss-support/

Courtney1 Courtney1
Aug '19

Happiest girl, if it is you who lost a pet, I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my 15 yo pup recently. If you were fortunate enough to know it was happening, and got to spend quality time comforting your fur baby, focus on that. Mostly, talk about it if you need to. Meet some friends for a drink or walk. I felt better not talking about it. Time helps the best. Maybe volunteer at a shelter and share some hugs with a homeless animal. Their grief is greater than ours

maja2 maja2
Aug '19

Thank you, maja2..I was about to write pretty much the same as you...We recently lost our family pet...Miss Kitty at 13 years of age. You never realize that they actually have been the center of your life all the time they were in your care and how much comfort they brought to you and your family until they are gone...

joyful joyful
Aug '19

Lots of info here

https://www.aplb.org

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '19

Do you mean for the person that lost a pet, or a pet that has lost a "sibling"?

If the former, I can tell you that my experience has been, no- there really isn't any help. It gets easier, but it never goes away (nor should it.) And many people may disagree with me on this next point (like I care LOL), but getting another pet is the answer. It doesn't have to be immediately, but don't feel guilted into "waiting a certain time period" before adopting again. The new pet will not in any way decrease the grief for the lost pet, but it will provide you with joy that will help to balance out the grief.

I made it 2 weeks before I realized "I can't do this", and adopted again. No regrets.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '19

Sthuberts.org ~ They have a pet support group. You can find it on their website.

You might also try this:
PET LOSS & BEREAVEMENT RESOURCE LINE
(855) 352-LOVE (5683)
Resource Line Hours: 10:00 am - 9:00 pm EST Monday through Friday

Sorry for your loss.

gwtwqueenie gwtwqueenie
Aug '19

Though there’s not a lot of information in the original post, the way it’s written seems to suggest that a pet is grieving either the loss of their owner or a sibling pet. I don’t know of any way of handling that but it would be interesting to know what, if anything, a person can do to help the bereaved animal. Truly sorry for what you and/or the animal is going through.

I agree, JR. Excellent post.

Positive Positive
Aug '19

Contact Abbey Glen Pet Memorial in Lafayette, NJ
https://www.abbeyglen.com/Mobile/www.abbeyglen.com/PublicPages/Home.aspx

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '19

If it’s your pet that is grieving try to spend as much time with them as possible, lots of hugs and kisses. If it’s a dog, take them for more walks, etc... my dog was very sad when she lost her best friend. On top of the loss of her dog friend, my son left for the army and my husband deployed. Sadly, She went into a pretty deep depression. We are treating her with cbd oil and that seems to be helping a lot.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Aug '19

Here is a website that might be helpful. I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet.

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/about-us/outreach/pet-loss-support-hotline

Cympathetique Cympathetique
Aug '19

When one of my dogs passed the other was so upset that I had to get him another dog. It worked! We were all so much happier. See if your pet would like another companion.

Walker Walker
Aug '19

Hi if it is you who is grieving I strongly suggest googling Maryanne Soucy... she's on Facebook and is excellent.

PS Jefferson Republic I love your mention of adopting a new pet and absolutely does not take away the pain but can help like you said balance out and try to make you feel whole again and loved.

Well, we have to try to remember it's all about JOY. The joy the pet brings us, and the joy be bring them. THAT is the purpose. So when grief strikes, as it always does, re-balance it with joy. We all need more joy in life (which is why I largely stopped watching the news! LOL)

Loving people live in a loving world,
Hostile people live in a hostile world.
Same world.
-Dr. Wayne Dyer

Aug '19

Xanax.

Homosapien Homosapien
Aug '19

Yes. If a pet is grieving the loss of a fellow pet, get a new playmate. Grieving something else, cbd oil and attention.

maja2 maja2
Aug '19

PS was it an owner that is grieving , or another pet?

I like to think that when we lose a pet, especially one who was very special to us, that we are now just biding our time till we are together again. There is a poem that I like very much and I hope you like it as well.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
Aug '19

I lost my Rottie in July. It was very sudden and unexpected. There isn’t a day that goes by when I don’t cry. I decided to get another dog but I’m waiting for the right one. I want another Rottie. I know it won’t be my boy but that is where my heart is. I hope you are doing better. The best medicine is reminiscing on the good times.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Sep '19

They all are family members and we morn them just the same. If I remember right your Rottie was a show dog to. If so, he has left you with many more memories.

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '19

Re: Grief help for a pet

Speaking of grief, I ran across since since the last time this thread came up...

Sep '19

JR - So true!

It's interesting that the OP never posted again in this thread, never answered any of the numerous questions asked nor thanked anyone for their input.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '19

So sorry for your loss. I still cry over my cat and dog, gone 8 years. They take a part of our hearts when they go. Take as long as u need to grieve.

NJatheart NJatheart
Sep '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.