Small red & white snake very close to my house

My wife went out to walk the dog.

She came right back in.

There was a small red & white snake right at the bottom of my stairs in the driveway.

I know nothing about snakes but he reared up and lunged at me twice.

I covered him to trap him as I don't want it going in my garage or car or house or attacking my wife or dog.

I'm not a hunter and 100% say let animals be- until they come into or close to my home....

Not thrilled about the concept of squishing it, but also don't want it invading my space.

...and where there is a small snake, safe to assume there are bigger snakes nearby?

Any chance it could be poisonous or toxic?

Josh, can you safely post a pic of the snake?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '19

Sounds like a Milk snake perhaps. They are good to have around. Did it look like the one in this link?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_snake

Grascal
Aug '19

Red and white sounds like either a scarlet snake or milk snake. Both harmless.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '19

I agree, most likely a milk snake.

Look at the head a diamond head is poisonous - think Jersey only has Copperheads or Rattlesnakes - if you see a deadly snake you will know it.

Copperheads are very aggressive - don't think you would get a hood over their head before you where driving to the hospital.

Any snake that comes on my property gets it's head cut off - any shovel does the job well . Spiders in my cellar and attic to control termites are all the vermin I need or want . I once saw a 250 pound state trooper loose his sheet when a little garter snake slithered thorough an open door into his house . I still laugh when I think about it !

DeweyFoonduh DeweyFoonduh
Aug '19

Josh, I had 2 snakes appeared near my front door and back porch early this summer, just before I had my family visited. Poisonous or not, everyone got so scared that their next visit will be not early than late October when all snakes go into hibernation. I used all possible home remedies (didn't help) and finally bought powdered Snake Away at Lowes (it also has it in a liquid form). It smells 10 times stronger than moth balls but worked. Snakes are gone, chipmunks are back but it's other story and they fall under "so cute!" category for all but me (bastards eating my tomatoes and digging bulbs).

If milk snake, one of the good guys, very colorful so not exactly a stealth snake, and as much as I hate snakes, their method of introduction is always unnerving, I would give this guy a chance. Mine was a 3 footer or larger, hidden in the lumber pile, shocked the @#$#$# out of us, and was never seen again. And he taught me to be more cautious when messing with the woodpile! Very handsome for such a mature fellow.

If he reared up, unless he was cornered or felt cornered, I would be more concerned since milk snakes are not aggressive.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '19

Well- I was walking towards him with a big concrete box to put over him until I could figure out what to do...so yea- he might have been feeling confrontational.

But when I went back, he was gone- so managed to get out somehow anyway.

What is up with all these snakes? I haven't seen a snake on my property in a long time, now there were three in a matter of days from each other.

Snakes are good at keeping all of the other rodents away. I believe there has not been a reported death from a snake in NJ history. Venomous snakes are very rarely likely to strike a human. They save their venom for prey they can eat, not us. Juvenile milk snakes can look like a copper head. In fact the milk snake is very calm. Calmer than the garder or ribbon snake. Keep them alive good for the environment

Awesome Awesome
Aug '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.