Is wall paper in or out?

Is wall paper in or out?

I am getting my house ready for sale, doing last minute stuff. Need to know leave wall paper up or take it down

Take it down. Wallpaper is a very personal choice. Today's papers are somewhat less traditional than yours and if your buyers wants paper they might want something more colorful or abstract. Then again some don't want it at all.

htownguy htownguy
1 week ago

take it down and stick to neutral paint colors

I don't feel wall paper would stop someone from buying your house. If they want the house they will buy and do what they want with the wall paper. Speaking from my own experience.

happiest girl
1 week ago

Double uggh. Definitely remove.

Wallpaper *can* be in, but honestly - that wallpaper is so bland and vanilla you're better off taking it down and painting a neutral color instead. Let it be a blank canvas for the new buyers to paint some personality onto if they so choose.

kingcoriander kingcoriander
1 week ago

There is a new type of wallpaper trending, with cool graphic designs, that is a lot easier to remove. Saw it on HGTV.

Wall paper can actually steer someone away. Its an absolute bastad to remove it properly. Paper then 2 layers of glue. Its the worst.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
1 week ago

We sold our house in Hackettstown and every real estate agent we spoke with recommended neutral colors of paint and no wallpaper as most buyers will not look past the task of removing it and look for someplace without it. Unless your house is some sort of unique design or has other amazing features your wallpaper is a drawback and will give the buyers a bargaining chip to lower the price.

Paint the wallpaper. I've done that and it came out great .

Hopeful Hopeful
1 week ago

I renovate and flip houses, for a living. My best recommendation is the same as most of the above comments: remove it and paint with a neutral color, like a taupe or off-white.

Why?

1. These days, many people don't have the time or the skills to renovate themselves, or the money to hire others, so . . . "move-in ready" is ideal.

2. As noted above, wallpaper can be difficult to remove (especially for the inexperienced), and not all wallpaper can be painted over. Buyers see that, and it's an instant negative.

3. When selling your home, you want it to appeal to as many buyers as possible, to increase your chances of selling quickly and for a good price. That's why people say things like "neutral colors." Maybe that wallpaper--or your bright-purple bathroom, or your bubble-gum-pink kitchen--appeals to you, and certainly, SOMEONE else will really like it. But such unique things can be a turn-off, for other buyers.

I always go for "attractive, modern, but neutral." And that's why my last home sold in one week--for $3,000 MORE than the already-high asking price.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
1 week ago

Yes, If you prepare it correctly ( presuming it was put up the right way ) ...you can paint over without issue and it will look great .

Our whole house was wallpapered when we bought it. Circa 1993 mauve florals in the kitchen, hallway, stairwell, master bedroom and bathroom. It didn’t prevent us from buying but it sure solidified my decision to never use wallpaper. I had to hire a painter to remove it though because it was not put up properly. Not fun.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
1 week ago

Wallpaper sucks if I'm being honest.

There's nothing worse than looking at houses and seeing full walls of wallpaper and borders from the 70's, 80's and 90's, and knowing full well you'll have to go in there and scrape it all down by hand, wash down the walls, prime the walls then paint them.

Take it down.

Cathy R Cathy R
1 week ago

Old, outdated, and sucks on so many levels. Absolute murder to take down.

If you don't want to remove wallpaper be prepared that most buyers will immediately reduce asking price by $10-15K ($2-3K per room). Some older houses have lead paint under wallpaper and it might be discovered during inspection so expect additional expenses or selling problems if you decide just to paint over wallpaper.

As a realtor we tell homeowners to update in neutral tones.

Donna I kind of like your wallpaper and it appears to be in good condition. Also I think certain styles of older homes look better with wallpaper, like the home was made to have it. Wanted you to have a positive comment here :-)

But I guess these guys are right, neutral is the way to go to appeal to most buyers.
My daughter and SIL bought a house with lots of wallpaper, and they are removing one room at a time. It's quite a task.

hktownie hktownie
1 week ago

Remove it. It makes the room look old, and people will wonder what else is old or outdated and needs replacement!

Hackresident Hackresident
1 week ago

Agreed remove it and maybe put up some Wayne’s coating on the bottom could be a real nice modern room for not much

Any easy way to take it down is to put warm water and some vinegar in a spray bottle and use the rough side of a sponge so scrubbing and it will come right off just did two bathrooms worth in about two days

I agree on newer houses wallpaper can be a drag but on an old victorian like mine from 1874 the right wallpaper just makes the room.

When we bought our house the kitchen had wallpaper. Taking it down was very easy. The glue on the other hand took DAYS. We steamed it, used a product called “Chomp” and used hot water with vinegar and a sponge. The glue removal was almost comical it was so hard to remove. I’ll NEVER buy a house with wallpaper again. I’m sure there are others that will agree.

Consigliere
1 week ago

Just leave it your selling your house anyways can be someone else problem. People that buy houses should be more worried about the structure and bones of the house not if the walls are painted a non neutral color or has wall paper.

But the big question was, is wallpaper in? And yes, it is in, but in a new way. It's in for people who want to express themselves temporarily in their new place or even their new apartment. The newest wallpaper is made to be easily removed.
So yes, wallpaper is in!

I open the picture and thought it look so cute. Maybe only one vote for keep, but I think it is cute

LeslieC. LeslieC.
1 week ago

The wallpaper gets me dizzy. lol. too busy and old-fashioned. Even paint over it, perhaps with a primer/paint in one.

some of you like it, but I think the majority would prefer a nice cream or tan color, even a light olive.

Hackresident Hackresident
1 week ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Is wall paper in or out?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.