Is wall paper in or out?

Is wall paper in or out?

I am getting my house ready for sale, doing last minute stuff. Need to know leave wall paper up or take it down

Donna Donna
Aug '19

Take it down. Wallpaper is a very personal choice. Today's papers are somewhat less traditional than yours and if your buyers wants paper they might want something more colorful or abstract. Then again some don't want it at all.

htownguy htownguy
Aug '19

take it down and stick to neutral paint colors

Nosila Nosila
Aug '19

I don't feel wall paper would stop someone from buying your house. If they want the house they will buy and do what they want with the wall paper. Speaking from my own experience.

happiest girl
Aug '19

Double uggh. Definitely remove.

Wallpaper *can* be in, but honestly - that wallpaper is so bland and vanilla you're better off taking it down and painting a neutral color instead. Let it be a blank canvas for the new buyers to paint some personality onto if they so choose.

kingcoriander kingcoriander
Aug '19

There is a new type of wallpaper trending, with cool graphic designs, that is a lot easier to remove. Saw it on HGTV.

Wall paper can actually steer someone away. Its an absolute bastad to remove it properly. Paper then 2 layers of glue. Its the worst.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Aug '19

We sold our house in Hackettstown and every real estate agent we spoke with recommended neutral colors of paint and no wallpaper as most buyers will not look past the task of removing it and look for someplace without it. Unless your house is some sort of unique design or has other amazing features your wallpaper is a drawback and will give the buyers a bargaining chip to lower the price.

Paint the wallpaper. I've done that and it came out great .

Hopeful Hopeful
Aug '19

I renovate and flip houses, for a living. My best recommendation is the same as most of the above comments: remove it and paint with a neutral color, like a taupe or off-white.

Why?

1. These days, many people don't have the time or the skills to renovate themselves, or the money to hire others, so . . . "move-in ready" is ideal.

2. As noted above, wallpaper can be difficult to remove (especially for the inexperienced), and not all wallpaper can be painted over. Buyers see that, and it's an instant negative.

3. When selling your home, you want it to appeal to as many buyers as possible, to increase your chances of selling quickly and for a good price. That's why people say things like "neutral colors." Maybe that wallpaper--or your bright-purple bathroom, or your bubble-gum-pink kitchen--appeals to you, and certainly, SOMEONE else will really like it. But such unique things can be a turn-off, for other buyers.

I always go for "attractive, modern, but neutral." And that's why my last home sold in one week--for $3,000 MORE than the already-high asking price.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Aug '19

Yes, If you prepare it correctly ( presuming it was put up the right way ) ...you can paint over without issue and it will look great .

steven steven
Aug '19

Our whole house was wallpapered when we bought it. Circa 1993 mauve florals in the kitchen, hallway, stairwell, master bedroom and bathroom. It didn’t prevent us from buying but it sure solidified my decision to never use wallpaper. I had to hire a painter to remove it though because it was not put up properly. Not fun.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '19

Wallpaper sucks if I'm being honest.

There's nothing worse than looking at houses and seeing full walls of wallpaper and borders from the 70's, 80's and 90's, and knowing full well you'll have to go in there and scrape it all down by hand, wash down the walls, prime the walls then paint them.

Take it down.

Cathy R Cathy R
Aug '19

Old, outdated, and sucks on so many levels. Absolute murder to take down.

If you don't want to remove wallpaper be prepared that most buyers will immediately reduce asking price by $10-15K ($2-3K per room). Some older houses have lead paint under wallpaper and it might be discovered during inspection so expect additional expenses or selling problems if you decide just to paint over wallpaper.

As a realtor we tell homeowners to update in neutral tones.

Donna I kind of like your wallpaper and it appears to be in good condition. Also I think certain styles of older homes look better with wallpaper, like the home was made to have it. Wanted you to have a positive comment here :-)

But I guess these guys are right, neutral is the way to go to appeal to most buyers.
My daughter and SIL bought a house with lots of wallpaper, and they are removing one room at a time. It's quite a task.

hktownie hktownie
Aug '19

Remove it. It makes the room look old, and people will wonder what else is old or outdated and needs replacement!

Hackresident Hackresident
Aug '19

Agreed remove it and maybe put up some Wayne’s coating on the bottom could be a real nice modern room for not much

Any easy way to take it down is to put warm water and some vinegar in a spray bottle and use the rough side of a sponge so scrubbing and it will come right off just did two bathrooms worth in about two days

I agree on newer houses wallpaper can be a drag but on an old victorian like mine from 1874 the right wallpaper just makes the room.

eperot eperot
Aug '19

When we bought our house the kitchen had wallpaper. Taking it down was very easy. The glue on the other hand took DAYS. We steamed it, used a product called “Chomp” and used hot water with vinegar and a sponge. The glue removal was almost comical it was so hard to remove. I’ll NEVER buy a house with wallpaper again. I’m sure there are others that will agree.

Consigliere
Aug '19

Just leave it your selling your house anyways can be someone else problem. People that buy houses should be more worried about the structure and bones of the house not if the walls are painted a non neutral color or has wall paper.

But the big question was, is wallpaper in? And yes, it is in, but in a new way. It's in for people who want to express themselves temporarily in their new place or even their new apartment. The newest wallpaper is made to be easily removed.
So yes, wallpaper is in!

I open the picture and thought it look so cute. Maybe only one vote for keep, but I think it is cute

LeslieC. LeslieC.
Aug '19

The wallpaper gets me dizzy. lol. too busy and old-fashioned. Even paint over it, perhaps with a primer/paint in one.

some of you like it, but I think the majority would prefer a nice cream or tan color, even a light olive.

Hackresident Hackresident
Aug '19

Wallpaper is pretty much a thing of the past. But I feel that in an old Victorian home, you can get away with it.
Just keep in mind that wallpaper is often put on walls to cover up imperfections and ugliness. So...in those older homes with wallpaper, it could very well be there for a reason....covering up an old bumpy wall with holes in it.
You might want to put wainscoting up half the wall. That can be painted a bright white and can look really nice in both older and modern homes.

If it's an older home and the wallpaper is a tasteful design and in good shape, just leave it. It is a pain to remove. It won't always come off even and you will most likely find 5 other layers of wallpaper underneath it. No joke. And in an older home with lead paint, I would just leave well enough alone; unless you want to go to the trouble of covering over it with oil-based paint (which will go over it and seal the wallpaper into the wall). I just would not attempt to remove wallpaper because you could be opening up a can of worms. Trust me, from experience. Best of luck to you.

Tanya Tanya
Dec '19

One of the first old houses we rehabilitated had multiple layers of newspaper as insulation we figured. Another reason.

I like wallpapers for the colors, patterns, textures and other things you cannot do in paint. I have an old house, new walls, no lead, and lots of wallpaper. I especially like borders at the ceiling or as chair rail. I use the borders on paint, on wallpaper, as chair rail, ceiling trim, or both. Used drawable for kids. Can’t do that with paint! Wainscoting is nice too but there is still usually wall that needs treatment.

Once you know what you’re doing, wallpaper is faster than painting. However, not a good bonding job, better done alone.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Dec '19

Wallpaper is a big negatory.
Wall coverings are a very personal selection.
Trades quote $50/Hr to remove it ( with no guarantee of time required).
Home buyers know this.

Stymie Stymie
Dec '19

Re: Is wall paper in or out?

It might be personalized but when done right, l feel it's worth it. He who obsesses about resale lives in a pretty sterile boring environment.

Eperot Eperot
Dec '19

Hey, do whatever you want.
Your home is your castle.
(Don’t forget the plastic on your sofa)

Stymie Stymie
Dec '19

Eperot- beautiful room.

Why not open that fireplace and let it live in glory again with warmth and glow?

I’d also troll Craig’s list for an upsized bulky chandelier to accent the room.

Love the floor!

Want to see what’s hiding under your grass when the weather thaws? Let me know. Always a good time. :)

Re: Is wall paper in or out?

Josh, thanks...and as for your two concerns, both will be addressed. The chandelier is a cheapie from before redoing the room. It will be replaced ($). The chimney breast you see only ever had a chimney inside, but it is gone and the white panel is only sheetrock. There is ample room behind for a planned gas log insert ($$$). If you own an old house you know the drill.

It's the same with the living room too, so two gas inserts in my future. ($$$$$)

Don't you have a garage lift? You're welcome to dig around the yard and keep finds if I can use your car lift this spring...got a BMW with a dying dual mass flywheel.

eperot eperot
Dec '19

I've got a lift, tunes, enthusiasm and beer. :)

What BMW?

Flywheel clunking?

It sure is. Clutch, trans mounts and guibo since l'm in there. 330 ZHP.

Eperot Eperot
Dec '19

Piece of cake.

I already have the parts. Just waiting until the warmer weather comes back. I'm seriously interested though, and if the offer is real let's talk when the ground thaws.

Eperot Eperot
Dec '19

Has anyone used spoonflower's peel and stick wallpaper? Thinking about trying it out on a small scale for an accent wall.

Don't know this brand; can wallpaper so don't need the extra expense of peel and stick, but very good for those anticipating change, or thinking they may want to remove for sale.

Here's a primer, but bottom line is could pull some paint upon removal, paper backed is less effective, and check reviews for practical experiences.

https://www.limitlesswalls.com/articles/peel-stick-wallpaper-come-off-easily/

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Dec '19

Paint departments don't even carry wall coverings anymore.

Embryodad Embryodad
Dec '19

And land lines are out too.....

But yet, you can still find them..... https://www.google.com/search?q=wallpaper&ie=&oe=

For discerning people who don't follow the herd. There are plenty of stores in town where wallpaper can be obtained. Not sure if they have stock, but they do have access.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Dec '19

Wall Paper is in until you have to take it down. My advice is it is not worth it. Do not put it up in the first place.

"Paint departments don't even carry wall coverings anymore."

Maybe not, but I work in the textile industry (upholstery), and I can tell you without any hesitation that wall *covering* is one of the fastest-growing silos in our industry right now. Every major wovens manufacturer in the country is either launching a wall coverings line or, if they already have a line, they're expanding it.

I personally prefer paint, and realtors are certainly telling people to paint, but to answer the initial thread question, wall covering is not "out". Somebody --lots of somebodies-- is definitely buying it.

Monty Monty
Dec '19

I think wall coverings are more utilized in commercial applications than residential...

ianimal ianimal
Dec '19

I'm looking for someone to come and take it down. I have one small bathroom and a single wall I want removed. Anyone?? I am willing to PAY cold hard cash to get rid of it. The former owners painted over the rest of the house. They did such a good job we didn't notice until we started to paint. If I new it then I may not have bought the house. It was such a pita we just replaced some walls, it was easier.

auntiel auntiel
Dec '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.