How does one go about being elected to the Hackettstown hall of fame? LOL

My vote goes to Calico ;)

Rickter Rickter
Jul '19

This is the High School HOF!

High School Sports Hall of Fame, yes?

summerrain1 summerrain1
Jul '19

Is there a description for each athlete/coach of their accomplishments?

Metsman Metsman
Jul '19

I just found out that Marcus Stroman played on my high school baseball team and apparently was a local superstar back then.

Schmedley Wilcox Schmedley Wilcox
Jul '19

Best five years of their entire life ;-)

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jul '19

LMAO! Thanks for the vote. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '19

All of the above are well worthy of Hall of Fame status for Hackettstown … funny to see the name Anthony Rossi in print … I always wrote about him as Tony Rossi.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '19

Correct. High School Hall of Fame.

Andy,

Did you cover the 1925 team?

SNAP!!!

DannyZuko DannyZuko
Aug '19

They were Hackettstown's first undefeated and untied football team, coached by Albert Chilson. Reliable sources have told me they were really special :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '19

Regarding Brittny Boyd, she set scoring records for a single season and career for Hackettstown in girls soccer, was chosen the area's Player of the Year twice. She also was a state qualifier in several track events. She had outstanding grades and was voted Homecoming Queen, too :-D...

oh, what does it mean, to a daydream believer and a Homecoming Queen?

Oops, that's for another HL thread LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '19

And where did they end up in life these masters of the gridiron, these Gods of puberty? Was High School the beginning.....or the end?

Might be interesting given the current desire by many to end any extracurricular activities. I mean, we all know that most marching band members get advanced degrees ending up in the Federal Government where they still march in lockstep to this very day.

Aug '19

I've kept up with former HS athletes on LinkedIn … a lot of them are doing really great things with their college education.

Just for starters, Rootin Tootin Max Newton, an option QB who ended a 12-year Warren Hills win "streak" over the Tigers (one of H-town's biggest wins in my memory) went to Yale.

The college graduation rate for athletes from this area is quite good, I'm happy to say.

There are many ways in which people marginalize others, make assumptions that they are "less than" … it isn't just racism … the notion that athletes on high school teams are "dummies" is one of them.

And Doug Blake, perhaps the finest Tiger of them all, found time to study while playing football, baseball, and wrestling … he went to Princeton.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '19

Re: 2019 Hackettstown Hall of Fame

My grandfather was on the 1925 football team. 1926 Captain. On his HS graduation picture are his stats. Pretty cool stuff.

auntiel auntiel
Aug '19

Sometimes in High School it's a maturity thing. My son didn't do well in HS and then made the deans list in college. Now he's got an associates degree and transferred to a D1 school with scholarships that pay 2/3 of his school bill. It's also a lot more work to be a student-athlete. Not only do your studies have to get done, but you're practicing every day, in the weight room early in the morning, and then in the Spring you're playing a 50 game schedule and traveling. You don't make it in college if you're a dummy.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '19

Yes, I'm glad to have gone through life as a scholar athlete. One thing you definitely learn is time management skills.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '19

I’m a dummy; I made it :-/. And again...

I think college athletes actually fare about average in grades and graduations and yes, some work harder. But not sure that much harder than those working jobs to get through. I would have rather been exercising than in the kitchen cooking their dinners.

But not the dumb jock stereotype. There really isn’t one. One of my fav’s was my q-back seemingly red neck buddy with a big curly afro haircut. Killer on the field, nice guy to all off the field. Black studies major, so weird. Not your typical for sure and think he went listed pacifist to boot.

Thanks for the illumination.

Aug '19

Well, anyone who has studied sociology understands there are lots of variables regarding how people turn out in life. Heredity, environment … I know from my own experience that sports turned some people around, who were going down the road of being good-for-nothing punks... to quote Kamala Harris, one of those people was me.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '19

“Don’t you let nobody turn you around, turn you round....”. Stevie “guitar” Miller

Truer words were never spoken Andy

All I can add is:

A rolling stone gathers no moss,

Pride cometh before the Fall and,

Don’t track mud across my clean kitchen floor.....

Truer words :-/

Aug '19

antiel, that's a terrific picture!

rleaf rleaf
Aug '19

Anymore pics out there of long ago Hackettstown athletes?

DannyZuko DannyZuko
Aug '19

Are there going to be any inductions this year?

Tiger4eva
Apr '21

are their new inductions?

ole' timer
Aug '22

@DannyZuko - Some of those Class of Dates are incorrect -

Mark Painter and Bill Dovas were 2000 not 1999.

My Vote though for HHS Hall of Fame would have to go to John Stagg, Class of 2000.

Steve Laird
Todd Hoyt
Mike Cullinane

All excellent and deserving. They were main contributors on 7-8 league champions (football, baseball and basketball). They were all conference multiple years and on the all state group II teams.

danny zucko danny zucko
Aug '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: 2019 Hackettstown Hall of Fame
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.