What's with the old hackettstown reservoir? No more waterfall access?

I know the reservoir area was purchased at auction a while back and there are signs saying no trespassing, but is the area around the waterfall also off limits? It would be a shame if it is. It really is the coolest place around on hot days. If anyone has info please let me know.

Looking to cool off Looking to cool off
Jul '19

If the waterfall is on the former reservoir property, now privately owned, I would guess yes!

deviljet
Jul '19

I don't really know, I've heard that area might be owned by a Gun Club. Although, there has been a massive amount of tree clearing and earth moving since I started going there in Highschool, so somebody must have some kind of plan for it. Signs are only posted on the access roads past the gate. If you take the path underneath the towers you don't really encounter any signs (maybe one), but it's very steep with loose rocks and overgrown so would not recommend unless you're in boots pants and long sleeves.

Regardless, I fish and hike back there semi-frequently. I've only encountered other regular people there a handful of times, never any officials or authorities.There's a kid that must live on that road that rips his ATV around back there sometimes, which in my mind is more destructive than going in to hike or fish. Never faced any consequences from ignoring the no trespassing signs. The signs say the place is "monitored by cellphone camera", but idk if I really believe that.

My dad has told me numerous times that they used to party back there when he was in highschool. I was always kinda jealous cause it's a great spot. Although I once got a parasite infection from swimming in the reservoir.... so it's not ideal for all summer activities.

Trespasser Trespasser
Jul '19

“Although I once got a parasite infection from swimming in the reservoir.... “

That would be a hard pass. No thanks.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '19

Noob in town. Please tell me how to get to the waterfall. Not concerned with signs lol. Tia

Tía, if you go up old mine hill road past the fence and keep going up, you will come across a fence with a bit of a path on the right going down into the ravine. Follow the path until you come to the lower reservoir then follow the canal stream towards the hill. Cross the stream and head up the right side of the stream to the waterfall. If you climb to the top of the waterfall by going around to the right there are pools at the top of the waterfall as well.

Looking to cool off Looking to cool off
Jul '19

I wouldn’t really advertise the location here or else tons of people will show up and leave garbage all around. It’s a shame nowadays but people have no respect for nature

Infiniti2510 Infiniti2510
Jul '19

It’s all private property now. It was purchased at auction by a single buyer. So yes both reservoirs and the property between them is private.

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Jul '19

Thank you looking

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.