corn truck on 517 across from Mattars?

Anyone know why there is no corn truck on Rt 517 across from Mattars. Always liked to stop and get my corn there, but havent seen it this year...

Bowie Bowie
Jul '19

no corn ready locally yet.

Signs indicate that Tranquility and Donaldsons Farms have their own corn.

Route 46
Jul '19

Tranquility Farm has corn & it’s delicious!

yes both farms have their own and it's all yummy

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '19

Best's is also selling local corn. It may be that Kucharski's is just a bit behind the others. It was last year, so it should just be a matter of having patience.

I got corn last Sunday from Donaldsons (it was very good) but it was from South Jersey. I just checked their website and it says:

** Florida Sweet Corn Available 5/1, South Jersey Sweet Corn Available 6/15, Our Jersey Sweet Corn Available 7/20

Maybe they started harvesting a little bit early??

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '19

Donaldsons has its own corn.

Of course its grown in south jersey

Bug3
Jul '19

Wrong , it is there own.

Yeah I was wondering where that guy was...hope he’s okay

Jdem
Perhaps they have field in south jersey...if its truly local corn please tell them to update their website...that gives a date of 7/20

Bug3
Jul '19

I may be geographically challenged but I'm pretty sure I live in northern nj. the key word overlooked for the sake of some sort of 'gotcha' in my post was 'locally'

Drive down allen road and you will see the large banner that says our own corn, drive a little further and look left and you will see the rows in the fields that were already harvested. Or talk to any of the csa participants who received there order today including it before you base your hard line on something you read online once.

Bought Donaldson`s corn...There own corn this afternoon...it was excellent...

I think the thing I miss the most about moving out of Hackettstown is Donaldson’s !! We have been in DE for 2 years now and nothing comes close to Donaldson’s ( or any local NJ produce for that matter).
I have tried many places near here that grow their own but noting comes close !! I miss the strawberries, corn and tomatoes the most......and the peaches and the apples and the raspberries!

Mariann Mariann
Jul '19

We got great tomatoes and corn from Vienna Hill Farm stand on Saturday. Peaches too and Lori had the most beautiful Coleus that I have ever seen. We live with little Sun and we are envious of those who have it. My tomatoes are about as big as a golf ball in my garden. The tomatoes that we bought made great tomato sandwhiches. It is still early for 517 corn. The corn we had tonight for supper was crisp and flavorful and as good as 517.

Robert J Rowe Robert J Rowe
Jul '19

Tranquility Farms is definitely the best

Ziggy Ziggy
Jul '19

I love the corn from Marshall's stand in Knowlton. They have different varieties and always good.

LOL, jdem... you think people should physically drive to a place in order to see if they have local corn rather than trusting what the farm itself places on its website?

ianimal ianimal
Jul '19

Hey, I'm still dealing with Ziggy's pronouncement as the Lord of Corn. Wonder what his favorite pizza is.....

I, myself, love corn, and study it. Usually I can even track it from Fla up the coast to Southern NJ --- by taste and texture. I judged a great economy, like Clinton's with fuel prices so low that we get GREAT corn 12 months a year. How not seen that since the 90's. Every year, "defining the best" can change. Seeds and season may have something to do about it. Donaldson's always great, but in the past, I have found some years to actually be too sweet. Tranquility, Best, Tommy's ((517 and Water street locations), always good. And later in August and for a couple weeks only, the stand at CatSwamp and 517 --- great corn for best prices --- this is the one I freeze, if I am freezing any. IMO, value-wise ---- this is the best, and like all of these sellers ---- nice folks. That's the best part, I think corn brings out the best in people. There's certainly a kernel of truth in that :>)

I rely on Tommy's once he starts to harvest, need to help him feed the kids! And then the Cswamp for my almost-end of year splurge. Donaldson's/Best's to fill in and end of year in that they go longer than most --- really are great farmers.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '19

No, I hope they stay home so they do not run out. Just don’t be arrogant enough because you read something online to tell the people standing at the store they are wrong.

We’ve been looking forward to farmstand corn, still warm from the fields, since last summer:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Jul '19

Is there really any way to tell the difference between south jersey corn and local corn?

Bug3
Jul '19

South Jersey corn talks funny...

ianimal ianimal
Jul '19

LOL, ianimal. We do! That’s for sure!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '19

Bug3 - Ask it what it puts in its breakfast sandwich besides egg & cheese.

The field on the corner of 517 and catswamp looks barren this year

Bug3
Jul '19

Is Tommy well strangerdanger?

I hope. Knee high by fourth of july —- it’s a bit early yet.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jul '19

Re: corn truck on 517 across from Mattars?

Our trucks will eventually be out on 517, 22 31. Unfortunately with all the rain we had we were very late planting. Not sure yet exactly when our sweet corn will be ready.

Tom is doing well. Last year was a tough year with his health issues but we have some awesome friends who really helped us throughout the year to keep the farm going!

farmerswife farmerswife
Jul '19

farmerwife,

Great to hear that Tom is doing well. Looking forward to having your corn.

magpie magpie
Jul '19

Hi farmerswife!! Hope you are well. Miss seeing you on Sunday mornings. (the grilled cheese guys wife). Glad Tom is on the mend.

Love to Sing Love to Sing
Jul '19

Curious - what's it cost to buy a donaldson ear these days?

Indy Neighbor
Jul '19

I heard 70Cents an ear. Tranquility was 69cents. You can purchase ice cream at Tranquility. Also see ZULO the zebra-donkey.

Bernie Bernie
Jul '19

hi, if you want to drive to Home Plate Dairy which is out past Washington Boro towards New Village it is $4 for a dozen and it is delicious.

Just had corn from Donaldsons, very large ears, very tough and very tasteless! Saddest part is they had to be aware they were selling this poor quality sweet corn!

quinlan106
Jul '19

Best's is selling at .65 cents and was excellent last week.

We had Donaldsons corn tonight for dinner.. It was delicious.. The trick is to put a little sugar in the water.. And only cook it for 5 minutes after it comes to a boil.. Then cover it.. My husband ate 3 pieces.......

Havaclue Havaclue
Jul '19

We've had Donaldson's corn for the past several weeks and have been very pleased. Crunchy and sweet. This year's been the best Donaldson's corn we've had. Boil for six minutes and couldn't be happier.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Jul '19

Tranquility farm’s corn is excellent!

Ziggy Ziggy
Jul '19

I also had Donaldson's both last night and again tonight. It was great. A bit of Old Bay and away we go!

Tranquility’s corn has been spot on! Tried Bests tonight & was disappointed - not sweet...

Just had the absolute best corn....from Tranquility wow!!!

Who's got the best corn this weekend? Want to get some for dinner.

Tracy Lucas Tracy Lucas
Aug '19

The truck is back but I haven't had their corn yet

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '19

We just moved to SC a few weeks ago. One of things we were going to miss was Donaldson’s corn. While exploring the area I found a market here that travels to Donaldson’s to get veggies and corn. They told me that they are starting to travel up there now. So we are very happy to have Donaldson’s corn down here!

great corn, multicolored and supper sweet. Had it on Friday

exphysics teacher
Aug '19

Went and the truck was filling up a half dozen of the huge $20 bags of 50+ ears. Definitely a case of customers anxious to get their corn. This is the first of the bicolor which to me is just the very tip of the tip of the iceberg. It was good. Maybe not perfectly tender but great taste. Usually the second batch it much better. And then the white later is the best of them all. If this first batch is any indication then this is going to be one of the best years ever. This first taste was pretty good when often it's just average. Can't wait for a couple of weeks into the white.

I’ve been buying corn for the last couple of weeks... Bought corn from Donaldsons and Tranqulity Farm.... Tranqulity Farms corn is BETTER then Donaldson!!!!!

Havaclue Havaclue
Aug '19

Awesome - great review of the corn!

Just had two ears...GREAT !! Same price as last year (7 for $ 3.50)

Mary L Dauch Mary L Dauch
Aug '19

We were getting Donaldson's here in SC but today we were told that this time it's from Tranquility Farms. I always had Donaldson's but looking forward to Tranquility tonight at dinner.

ASK / MC - where in SC are you that you’re getting the local NJ corn from?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Aug '19

We live in Murrells Inlet SC, our local farm stand sends a truck every week to Donaldson's or Tranquility Farms bringing back tomatoes, corn, and occasionally some other veggies. Fruit is mostly very local except for the Georgia peaches. They get scallops from Massachusetts and prime beef from the Midwest. It is by far the best farm stand we have ever been to.

Tried Donaldson's white corn on Monday - it was sweet & good but the kernels were real small & I wish I could pick the ears I want instead of the staff doing it.

Tried the corn truck's corn on Tuesday - nice large ears with large kernels but it was not sweet yet.

Thats an awful long ride for vegtables that can be found locally...probably fresher

Bug3
Aug '19

Bug3, the drive from NJ to SC is less than 11 hours. Do you really think that it won't be fresh when it gets here? Local corn here is not as sweet and probably just as old as 11 hours from picked. It is now out of season down here locally not even available here, so grateful for the import from NJ.

Hi everyone as of this evening the corn truck which is the same as the one you're mentioning is on route 31 by Hampton liquors and pizza!

MK
Why not save time and go to south jersey for corn like Donaldsons does?...not all their corn is from their own field

Bug3
Aug '19

Bug3, I live in Murrells Inlet, SC. South Jersey is not in my neighborhood while the local farm stand is...……...maybe that's why I don't go there.

We had corn from Tranquility last night and it was great. Also couldn't resist the homemade cookies "for the kids". Really wanted to try the ice cream, but didn't think it would survive the 20 minute drive home.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '19

It doesn't make business sense to drive a truck 22 hours ( there and back) to buy produce from a produce stand that buys product from other local farms...unless of course they are related and getting a good deal

Bug3
Aug '19

Bug3, I am not going to debate with you about the sense of a 22 hour trip. They also sell produce and carry some out of season produce up to other places that cannot get that produce. On the way back they go to Donaldson's or Tranquility for select produce to bring back. I assume it is profitable since they do it regularly. Remind never to go to a business you run as nothing profitable makes sense to you.

Bug3. It makes perfect sense. Their season is coming to an end and ours is in full swing.
It’s just the opposite in the early spring, they send their produce up here when our season is just starting. Good business all around.

The white is here!!

And worth the wait...

Better get it soon if you want it. Sign up says tomorrow 9/15 is the LAST DAY!!

They still seemed to have plenty. And it's as fresh as it gets. I hope they manage to sell out.

Thanks for the tip. GC...

joyful joyful
Sep '19

The non-GMO, pesticide free corn that is being sold diagonally across the street from the corn truck on 517 says they will be out of corn sometime this week so go & grab yours before it's gone!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.