idea

Question:
So if you have an idea, want to market it to the masses, what do you do to protect it ?

Patent ? Takes forever and no guarantees'

Trademark : Documents your idea...however what protections do you have ?

Intellectual property rights ?
Best way to get something to market ( w/out going on Sharktank )

Would really appreciate hearing everyone's input .

Thanks in advance.

steven steven
Jul '19

Get a lawyer if you think it's something that will fly.

Hackresident Hackresident
Jul '19

Its probably not original

Bug3
Jul '19

If the idea is ground breaking getting a patent is a must ... My father had to get one for a device he created while working as a engineer years and years ago ... good luck don’t share the idea ...

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Jul '19

What is your VALUE proposition? Don't need to post it here, but be sure your idea has value, and of course it is unique so you are differentiated. A lot of good ideas start by looking for gaps in our world, why not this, why not that...

Make sure you research first. Google it. You might find out there are already XYZ out there. If XYZ is truly original, that would be great. I would secure a lawyer in that area that specializes in patents and so on and go from there. Don't share the idea online. Just don't. Don't let anyone tell you it's a bad idea, either or deter you. Good luck to you.

DogDayAfternoon
Jul '19

https://patents.google.com/

Do some digging to see how original it is.

Skippy Skippy
Jul '19

Follow DogDayAfternoon's opinion
It's valuable..
Good Luck..

Chubby Chubby
Jul '19

I thought that before you patent a device or method it was a good idea to seal your plans inside an envelope and mail it to yourself. Do not open it unless someone claims that they though of the idea first. The postmark and seal will prove your idea was yours first so anyone making a claim would have to have a prior date.

Don’t tell anyone other then lawyer for patent.

Racer Racer
Jul '19

Don't tell anyone your idea whatsoever! I did t hat once at work before I submitted my idea, and the person I told submitted it himself quickly and got $$ for it. Sc-um.

Jul '19

I am asking because a good friend of mine applied for patent, spent thousands with a lawyer and a short time before he received his patent, someone else came up wit his idea !

Patent attorney gave his idea away ( my friend swore )
Original Questions :
So if you have an idea, want to market it to the masses, what do you do to protect it ?

Patent ? Takes forever and no guarantees'

Trademark : Documents your idea...however what protections do you have ?

Intellectual property rights ?
Best way to get something to market ( w/out going on Sharktank )

steven steven
Jul '19

I think it is currently the first to file for a patent. America Invents Act 2011. https://sites.udel.edu/cisc356/2014/04/22/the-debate-between-first-to-file-and-first-to-invent/

Hopeful Hopeful
Jul '19

Just go for the copywrite because a patent will not keep others from copying your idea a copywrite will.

Robert J Rowe Robert J Rowe
Jul '19

Hey DogDayAfternoon,
So if you google your idea "on line"....wouldn't that be "sharing it" ?

steven steven
Jul '19

1. Do not take advice from someone that doesn't know how to spell copyright.
2. Look into filing a provisional patent. I've done that on several of my patents. There are pros and cons.
3. Don't violate the statutory bar.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jul '19

Yeah RV, you tell em. Everyone knows you patent a book, you copyrite inventions, geez.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jul '19

Download Start Page for your search engine

No tracking
No ip collection

Safe

Chubby Chubby
Jul '19

@steven - to your Original Questions :
...if you have an idea, want to market it to the masses, what do you do to protect it ? ... given your friend swore...Patent attorney gave his idea away

I've known in the corporate world before go to any Patent Lawyer/Anyone, the person should:
#1) Video tape, document, have a technical/mechanical Diagram, create a prototype at the least, all dated, of your idea [...even possibly taken on a small scale test the idea works or can be applied (to something/someperson].
#2) Before present the idea to the Patent Lawyer/Anyone, get and have them first sign (something like a contract/a nondisclosure agreement) promising it won’t steal it or pay significant damages/consequences.
#3) Don't be the only one to present or give the idea to someone else...Always accompany with a professional or even simply a family member you can easily just say, that's my accountant, agent, or partner.
#4) (And/or even if you don't trust anyone) Then (of course after recording their acknowledgment and/or permission) set up another dated videotape/recording.(almost like you're making a documentary on how you started with the idea and steps taken to bring your product/idea to the masses, yourself.)

As you know even the most protected patented product (like CocaCola) can be copied or knocked-off into a similar, competitive, product that will steal your "Market-Share", Dated Videos/Documentations/Outline/Market tests of your idea is your first most sure protection before 'publishing' it to the Patent Lawyer/Patent Office/Copyright Board, and others.

Along the way, try to keep the deep 1 formula or "secret sauce" in close hands. Look at how the new Iphone idea comes out...In it's design, the competitor may be able to steal the shape once made patented or made public, but how it works (deep inside {algorithm, ingenuity, etc.} does NOT have to be spelled-out/coughed up to everyone ...especially in the initial stages [If the Patent Office wants/needs more, you can respond having you show/tell them in person or in an official meeting, in a legal manner to protect you and your idea.

GL! - & tell us when you're going to be on the Shark Tank! ...or need start raise funds on Kickstarter

ftcfda@aol.com ftcfda@aol.com
Jul '19

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/01/health/professor-accused-of-stealing-invention-lawsuit-trnd/index.html

Check this out!

Jul '19

That article points out that the only or best way to protect any of your ideas/inventions are how good you can document (time &/or date it) in a visual or print/written manner. ....along the way, in its making.

His "case" saying:

...He said he conceived of the formulation with the drug companies through his private consultancy business, adding that "the student arrived after the patent was signed."

Cholkar's work involved a part of the eye not affected by the drug, Mitra said....

can easily be shut-down/turned into the student's favor, as long the student has a copy of his 'submitted homework/project" to the Professor or BioMed class --- along his work on creating or even any part of the drug's eye "groundbreaking" formulation.

Aside that, while the University has "a policy that it owns the rights to discoveries made by staff and students while they are working at the university", how does the University deal with Professors running an Outside Business along the way?!? -- He's teaching/working on the cutting edge of technology in behalf of the university/students, while running a "private consultancy business" on the side - Hmm, talking about $Conflict of interest$ ... wonder if that was ever disclosed (or required) from the Professor to the University.

ftcfda@aol.com ftcfda@aol.com
Jul '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.